1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    HYdroROM 1.1.0

Default Ridiculously faster processor and storage compared to my last phone--custom ROM?

Our Epics arrived yesterday, and my previous phone was the LG Optimus S which is pretty much entry level compared to this.

This phone has so much more capacity, in every way, that I wonder if there's any benefit to flashing a custom ROM. I have rooted it, just so I could install Titanium Backup and a few other apps that require superuser access, but I'm still on the stock ROM. My wife as the same model and hers hasn't been rooted yet, and I don't know if we even need to root it at all. With the Optimus I had to root, and I had to flash custom ROMs to make the device usable by our standards on this messageboard (be honest now--does anyone here really just use their smartphone for calls only? Of course not!). But the Epic is a whole different animal. With 1.7G available RAM and a 16G internal SD card, do I even care about getting rid of Sprint bloatware?

What say you all? Is there any problem I can expect from running the stock ROM rooted?
    Last edited by Dark Penguin; 02-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.

ROM
    Stock Rooted FK09 4.1.2

Default Re: Ridiculously faster processor and storage compared to my last phone--custom ROM?

Nope not at all. Assuming you are on stock ICS, the stock rom is really good and reliable. There are a couple of roms out there that are good to flash especially CM10. I personally have been using the JB leaks for this device. GA10 is the most recent leak that is around that is stable. Though battery life is not very good. FK23 is probably the best JB leak when it comes to performance and battery life. I upgraded to these leaks because I really enjoy jellybean and all its features especially "Google Now", and it also give you the feeling of an S3 while owning a S2.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    HYdroROM 1.1.0

Default Well, ah...maybe I do need to seek out a custom ROM after all.

Strangely, in spite of the far greater processing power and available memory/storage, streaming audio on the go is not working any better than with my old phone. In fact, when I had it with me yesterday in the area of Palms and Sepulveda in L.A., it actually seemed worse. OTOH atmospheric conditions may have been partly to blame too. I've often had the same trouble in that neighborhood with the Optimus. (When I say "neighborhood" I really mean just the stores on either side of Sepulveda and the intersection itself.)

Flashing a custom ROM did really seem to help with the Optimus, so maybe I need to do it now as well? I was really liking CM7.2 on the Optimus, especially the themes and the ability to rotate the display 270 degrees, but I started getting launcher freeze-ups followed by the calendar breaking down completely. I'm not saying it was necessarily due to CM7.2, because it could just as easily have been due something else I did, like an app I disabled or something like that. Whatever it was I went back to HydroROM after that. IIRC Hydro has a smaller footprint than CM7.2, which was especially useful on the Optimus; on the Galaxy that wouldn't seem to be much of a factor though.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    HYdroROM 1.1.0

Default Re: Ridiculously faster processor and storage compared to my last phone--custom ROM?

Quote Originally Posted by rraman3110 View Post
    Nope not at all. Assuming you are on stock ICS, the stock rom is really good and reliable. There are a couple of roms out there that are good to flash especially CM10. I personally have been using the JB leaks for this device. GA10 is the most recent leak that is around that is stable. Though battery life is not very good. FK23 is probably the best JB leak when it comes to performance and battery life. I upgraded to these leaks because I really enjoy jellybean and all its features especially "Google Now", and it also give you the feeling of an S3 while owning a S2.
    Did I mention that I'm on FI27? Is CM10 stable--when I look at the thread for it in this subforum the title still says beta.

Global Posts
    1,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Penguin View Post
    Did I mention that I'm on FI27? Is CM10 stable--when I look at the thread for it in this subforum the title still says beta.

Yeah it's stable enough for daily use although I use GA10 (Jellybean 4.1.2) which is TouchWIZ.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it's stable enough for daily use although I use GA10 (Jellybean 4.1.2) which is TouchWIZ.

Official OpenROM Developer
    Want to contribute to OpenROM? Click HERE.
    Want to view my personal GitHub? Click HERE.

Our Epics arrived yesterday, and my previous phone was the LG Optimus S which is pretty much entry level compared to this.
    You have taken the same phone path that I have except I am now on to the Note 2. The Note 2 is as big a step up from the S2 as the S2 was from the Optimus. At least it feels that way. I loved my S2 but it is hard to compare to the Note. My ride cost a bit more than yours(upgraded when the phones first came out) but it sure is a fun ride.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2