Galaxy S2 stuck on 4G Screen - Factory Reset not doing anything - Help

jessicak01

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

After I updated the system (was prompted to do so) my phone hasn't been able to get passed the startup 4G screen.

I then read a bit online and saw to try formatting the device and rebooting, however I still am stuck at the 4G screen.

Is there a way I can download an Android update and save to my sd card? If so where would I get that... or how do I get back to using the OS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
You need to try to Odin a stock ROM from your PC. You can get a one click file over at xda. Just open the program, plug your phone in, and hit start. It's as easy as that.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

After I updated the system (was prompted to do so) my phone hasn't been able to get passed the startup 4G screen.

I then read a bit online and saw to try formatting the device and rebooting, however I still am stuck at the 4G screen.

Is there a way I can download an Android update and save to my sd card? If so where would I get that... or how do I get back to using the OS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I had the same problem with my wifes phone last month, but being under warrenty I refuse to mess with it. I do believe the described fix above will work by Defender because I could get the phone in Download mode with the combination of keys Power and Down volume at same time. Sprint guy said he couldnt fix it so now she has ended up with a REFURBISHED that has multiple problems, random reboots and proximity sensor.
Good luck and sorry you are having problem too.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. For future reference, what did you do to solve the problem?

Someone in the future may have similar problems and a search could lead them to this page. It would be informative for them to know what you did to correct the problem :).

Jason B

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
If you could please post what you did to remedy this problem... I'd much appreciate it. My wife's phone is doing the same thing today. She clicked on the update... And now here phone is just sitting on the "4G" startup screen and won't do anything...

Please email at jbenning09@yahoo.com

Thanks for your help

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at the supposed STOCK ROMS at xda and noticed they say rooted. So If you flash one to ur phone its not exactly stock if its rooted. FYI

lovetech_hatetech

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Def3nder,

I want to try your fix, but I can't really understand your instructions. Can you put it into english for those of us who don't "root" things unless we're pulling weeds?

You need to try to Odin a stock ROM from your PC. (How does one exactly "odin" something? Where do I get one of these "stock ROM" thingys?)

You can get a one click file over at xda. (Where is "xda"? When I get there, what do I do with this "one click file"?)

Just open the program, plug your phone in, and hit start. It's as easy as that. (I actually figured out how to get my phone into download mode, but didn't have anything to dowload to it. I don't want to reset as I am trying to save pictures on the hard drive. This won't factory reset will it?)

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Def3nder,

I want to try your fix, but I can't really understand your instructions. Can you put it into english for those of us who don't "root" things unless we're pulling weeds?

You need to try to Odin a stock ROM from your PC. (How does one exactly "odin" something? Where do I get one of these "stock ROM" thingys?)

You can get a one click file over at xda. (Where is "xda"? When I get there, what do I do with this "one click file"?)

Just open the program, plug your phone in, and hit start. It's as easy as that. (I actually figured out how to get my phone into download mode, but didn't have anything to dowload to it. I don't want to reset as I am trying to save pictures on the hard drive. This won't factory reset will it?)

Yes this method will wipe your phone clean including pics saved to it and not your sdcard.
XDA is the web site for Andoid Development Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers
This is the instructions page [ODIN][STOCK][TAR] SPH-D710.EK02_CL704398 (EK02 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Factory Restore) - xda-developers
The Roms are on this page. Samsung Galaxy S II/SPH-D710/ROMs - XDA-Developers
You do this at your own risk!!

lovetech_hatetech

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
You do this at your own risk!!

SBM,
Thanks for the info. Just like JessicaK01, my son was doing the prompted OS update. Just like her, my son's phone is hanging on the "4G" screen. My son has a boatload of pictures on the hard drive (pics from before he got an SD card). I can get the phone into the Android System Recovery screen. I do NOT want to do the factory reset/wipe data. I was hoping there was a way to download a previous OS to the SD card and "apply update from external storage". Thus making the phone go back to before the screwy update. OR i was hoping that I could put the phone into that download mode, hook it up to my PC and download some kinda fix. I'm not a tech wizard, but I'm also not a complete bafoon - I can follow instructions, but I'm just wondering if there is any way to undo the OS update that is causing the "4G Freeze" without wiping the pictures.

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
SBM,
Thanks for the info. Just like JessicaK01, my son was doing the prompted OS update. Just like her, my son's phone is hanging on the "4G" screen. My son has a boatload of pictures on the hard drive (pics from before he got an SD card). I can get the phone into the Android System Recovery screen. I do NOT want to do the factory reset/wipe data. I was hoping there was a way to download a previous OS to the SD card and "apply update from external storage". Thus making the phone go back to before the screwy update. OR i was hoping that I could put the phone into that download mode, hook it up to my PC and download some kinda fix. I'm not a tech wizard, but I'm also not a complete bafoon - I can follow instructions, but I'm just wondering if there is any way to undo the OS update that is causing the "4G Freeze" without wiping the pictures.
I dont think so lovey, Download mode is for flashing new to it. All will be lost. I am sorry I dont know of any other fixes.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know what the latest build was. Ill try to get the original odin file and strip out the parts that write the data Partitions, no promises but ill try.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc