GMail Crashing

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been fine since the last update. All of a sudden the last few days I have had this issue where I could be in any app or just unlocking the phone and "GMail is stopped responding" with option to close it or wait. It actually locks up my whole phone. I tried to factory reset, clear the cache, and then did updates to the apps and no matter what Gmail is still doing this. Any suggestions, anyone else having this happen?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been fine since the last update. All of a sudden the last few days I have had this issue where I could be in any app or just unlocking the phone and "GMail is stopped responding" with option to close it or wait. It actually locks up my whole phone. I tried to factory reset, clear the cache, and then did updates to the apps and no matter what Gmail is still doing this. Any suggestions, anyone else having this happen?

Try going into Settings>Application Manager>swipe over to All Apps>scroll down to Gmail and touch it. This will bring up the Gmail app as Android would see it. Tap clear Cache button toward the bottom. Exit. A restart after doing this may help as well.

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the help, it was one of the first things I did. Also booted into recovery and cleared cache there to see if it was rooted more in the device. Last thing I did to try to fix it was uninstall any apps I didn't need and anything that I updated or installed since this started, then wipe the cache again. Almost set to factory reset but I have been swamped with work and home stuff to take the hour to sit down and do it.

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
** SOLVED ** So finally after a bunch of times playing with it I found the correct combination that corrected the problem.

1) Uninstall Gmail aka just uninstall the updates that have been applied.
2) Clear Gmail cache
3) Open Gmail and attempt to use it in the boring lacking features old version of it.
4) Reboot your phone
5) Open the Play Store, go to "My Apps" and update Gmail
6) IF there is cache, clear it again
7) Reset all the settings I lost downgrading and updating Gmail, which was much better than factory resetting my phone.

I just want to say I went with the "Trying the same thing twice and expecting different results" method on this one after my Gmail crashed just by clicking on the icon yesterday. Also by not opening the returned to what came on the phone version of Android, it didn't work when I updated. There was something that needed to kick in on that old version that fixed it. Also tried doing it without clearing the cache and that didn't help either. Hope no one is having this issue but if they are, that is how it was fixed for me.

John Caputo1

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Old thread, but thanks. My Gmail started crashing right after I tried sending an animated GIF. I removed the offending email, still nothing but crashes. Rebooting and Clearing the cache didn't help, but clearing the data did. I didn't have to resort to the uninstall step, and all seems well so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol