Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stryke_the_Orc
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Default After GB27: Blank USB Storage?!?

I updated my GSII to JB without any issues and I'm loving it...!

I decided to update my wives GSII and it went great aswell, but after playing with it and checking the Camera I see that the camera wont work. When I select the Camera from the apps it acts like its gonna load and then suddently goes back to the apps screen with a message that reads " Turn off USB storage before using camera"

I also noticed that theres this icon on the notification bar with the microcard image with and "!" in it. When I scroll down on the notification bar it says "Blank USB Storage: USB storage is blank or has unsupported media" I removed the micro media card thinking that was the problem, but it still does the same thing without it, the micro media card works fine by itself on the computer and I can read all files, so it must be the USB storage within the phone. I pulled the battery and restarted, but that didn't help!

I used the USB Debugging to no avail and when I connect the phone to the PC thru the USB cable I get the Windows Explorer window with the Phone and Card storage folders and when I click on Phone nothing happens... But then if I click on Card I can see all files and folders on the microcard. None of this happened with my GSII, its working great so far.

Any pointers on this?

Default Re: After GB27: Blank USB Storage?!?

i had this also u have to just format it......thats what i did
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

What exactly will that do? Does it wipe everything on the phone thats not originally installed by the OS? Including Apps, files, saves, preferences, etc? I would have to sleep in the sofa a couple of nights if thats the case then!!!

Something similar happened to my phone a long while back with the camera not wanting to operate, but I forgot how I fixed it and that was on stock GB. But I don't think it was related to the internal memory on the phone acting up tho!

no it didnt wipe my apps.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Did it wipe everything else? was everything else left intact?

Was thinking... Is it possible to re-install the JB update to the same phone? if I re-install JB on the phone, could that maybe fix it? Or will it cause more harm than good?

ROM
    Stock! (For now...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Strong View Post
    Did it wipe everything else? was everything else left intact?

Was thinking... Is it possible to re-install the JB update to the same phone? if I re-install JB on the phone, could that maybe fix it? Or will it cause more harm than good?
    Worth trying, nodata should be okay for this time. Still suggest copying sd card data, formatting and then putting dats back on. Should get you going again.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Reach me on Twitter || Google+/Hangouts || Forums: XDA-Developers || RootzWiki

If you like the AOSP efforts and want to help get new devices on board, donations really help.
    Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garwynn View Post
    Worth trying, nodata should be okay for this time. Still suggest copying sd card data, formatting and then putting dats back on. Should get you going again.

It's not the SD Card that is acting up...! The SD Card works fine in the phone and in the PC, also connecting the USB cable lets me see the SD Crad content on the pC.

It's the USB Phone Storage (internal memory) that is acting up!

ROM
    Stock! (For now...)

Full restore wipes data but usb memory should remain intact if already on JB. I personally recommend backing it all up and flash JB clean each time to avoid issues.

Reach me on Twitter || Google+/Hangouts || Forums: XDA-Developers || RootzWiki

If you like the AOSP efforts and want to help get new devices on board, donations really help.
    Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

wife went ahead and formated the usb memory on the phone, damage was minimal and phone is working fine now... thanks to all that helped!
    ezn

How do you format only the USB storage on the Galaxy SII SPH-D710?

Under 'Storage' the only USB option I have is 'Mount SD Card.'
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezn View Post
    How do you format only the USB storage on the Galaxy SII SPH-D710?

Under 'Storage' the only USB option I have is 'Mount SD Card.'
    In our case, the phone itself presented a pup up window with the option to format... she just clicked OK and it was done. Aparently not everyone suffers from the same ailment with this phones. Our phone had an icon of a Micro SD Card with an "i" inside. after swyping the notification bar down then the error would be explained with the window pop up option to format.

I had the same problem, but I didn't see the usb icon until after a factory reset.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Default Jelly Bean Update Issues

I have just updated my phone (Galaxy T989) from the ginger bread to jelly bean update. After doing this phone worked fine until i decided to reinstall all my apps from my Play store account. I kept getting a "low memory" or "insufficient memory" status. I moved my files from device to my SD card until it was full. My USB storage have 6.7GB free. From the app store it says files will be downloaded to USB storage however, this is not happening. I am still getting the low memory status.

The other problem i am experiencing is with my Magic Jack app. It wont log me in and so i am unable to contact friends and family in different countries. This all started after my update.

Help please..this is very frustrating .. I cant get to download all my favorite apps without deleting others

Hi I have the same problem too. I have a gt n7000 and yesterday suddenly occured the same problem. I dont know wht to do....I don't want to press the format button yet.... what about your photos? Were they deleted too?

Hi Ed_strong, having the same problem over here.. i red ur mssg..

do you have all the pictures you've token with ur phone after formatting?
    Cause i was on vacation and i shot a lot pictures with my phone.. i dont want to reset is..
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kooss View Post
    Hi Ed_strong, having the same problem over here.. i red ur mssg..

do you have all the pictures you've token with ur phone after formatting?
    Cause i was on vacation and i shot a lot pictures with my phone.. i dont want to reset is..
    Did you save your pictures to the external SD Card when you took them? You could just remove the SD Card and connect it to the PC and transfer them that way?

If the pictures were taken and saved to the internal memory it should also not affect them... But in my case the pictures were saved to the external SD Card and were not lost

Any time you format your internal sd card you'll lose everything on it. That's what formatting is.

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul
    srkmagnus likes this.

Hi,

I know this was a while back ago that you had it solved; which method did you use? all of them? I ran into the same issue after the root.

Thanks

I am having the same problem. I don't have an SD card in my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and this just started on my phone. I didn't see any ideas on this issue. Any help would be great. I currently have version 4.1.2 on my droid.

Global Posts
    9,086 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by jrnyfan View Post
    I am having the same problem. I don't have an SD card in my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and this just started on my phone. I didn't see any ideas on this issue. Any help would be great. I currently have version 4.1.2 on my droid.
    Open the Camera App and bring up the settings. There should be something in there that allows you to select storage location. Set it to internal or external, whichever you prefer. That should fix the problem. If not, open system settings > applications > camera.apk (I'm not sure of the exact name of the camera app) and clear the data/cache and see if that resolves the problem.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

I have the same problem with the new/recent update to the OS. There is no way to reformat the USB storage that I can tell. When I go to reformat the SD card (knowing I will probably lose everything on it), it gives me a message that it's being used for mass media (duh, no kidding).

So I've now got an S2 with no usable camera and all the apps that were stored on the SD card are now unusable as well.

I'm hoping Samsung is working to fix this. Prior to this, I loved my GS2

The problem with this is that the Camera App won't open, so some of us can't get to those settings.

Sorry, I know this was a while ago. Hopefully someone can help. When you chose the option to format SD card, did you lose everything in the card? And after was the problem fixed? Fully functioning camera again, etc??