Massive Battery Drain on Samsung Galaxy S2 with JellyBean GB27

docberry126

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me.

This is how I fixed it: I went into settings/backup and restore and did the "Factory Reset". Don't worry, this will not bring you back to an earlier OS, it will still be Jelly Bean. BUT, you will have to re-install all of your apps and email accounts (Email, gmail, facebook,). It was a slight pain the the xss but it fixed the problem.

FYI, I also added the Juice Defender App...it seems to help.

Good luck,

Derrick

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened to me.

This is how I fixed it: I went into settings/backup and restore and did the "Factory Reset". Don't worry, this will not bring you back to an earlier OS, it will still be Jelly Bean. BUT, you will have to re-install all of your apps and email accounts (Email, gmail, facebook,). It was a slight pain the the xss but it fixed the problem.

FYI, I also added the Juice Defender App...it seems to help.

Good luck,

Derrick

Glad you got everything sorted out and working well again. Juice Defender Rocks! If you haven't done so, I highly recommend upgrading to the Ultimate version, as it opens up excellent capabilities to control WiFi/Data, based on Location, as well as a host of other features that will help you squeeze even more battery time out of your E4GT.

The combination of a new Samsung Battery + Juice Defender Ultimate + Underclocking the CPU to 1000 mHz w/PegasusQ Governor is yielding me an average use daily battery life of 22+ hours (according to GSam Battery app stats). For those wondering, I've seen virtually no degradation in performance after underclocking.

caknight

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I have just installed JellyBean GB27 also last week & I am having similar issues. A previously ' perfect' battery is now running out within four or five hours even with the fone being used to an absolute mimimum. I have let the battery run down on a few occasions & fully recharged as suggested. This does not appear to have made any difference. Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I have just installed JellyBean GB27 also last week & I am having similar issues. A previously ' perfect' battery is now running out within four or five hours even with the fone being used to an absolute mimimum. I have let the battery run down on a few occasions & fully recharged as suggested. This does not appear to have made any difference. Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

did you do a factory reset after you installed Jelly Bean? that would help because the update was so huge. it's best to do a factory reset. make sure you remove your micro sd card before you do the factory reset.

witeyford

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
just updated and getting terrible battery life... seems like majority is for hard reset fixing the problem? i'm kindof scared to hard reset...got the s2 couple of weeks ago and until the update was very happy with it. i don't want to inherit any quirks

also i want to do cynagenmod but i'm kindof a newb don't want to brick it...any suggestions? is rooting the s2 worth it?

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
This is "REDONCULUS" These threads about battery life! My wife is having same problems even with new battery. S2 is crap with new updates!!!!! Itstarted with the damn 24 update fried her rom the sprint dude couldnt fix it they give her 2 refurbs b4 getting 1 that works. Now this. she said last week they sent some other update to it. Its not even rooted. jees. sorry for the rant.

Dodraug1

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same issue. Eventually the battery would drain after 15-20 hours, which is not acceptable in my opinion. After a while I got tired of it and factory reset my phone. Huzzah, after my first charge I didn't have to charge it again for 5 days. But then the battery started draining again, and shortly after I was down to charging it every single day. After searching around a bit I found some forum threads claiming it to be a bug in S2 and S3 (at least) that causes the battery to drain faster if you charge the phone with something other than the original charger. I can't remember what forum I read it on, but I tried to stop charging using USB, and only use the original wall charger. That didn't help, but it turns out you have to either let the battery drain until the phone shuts down and then charge, or take the battery out and put it back in again before charging. I tried this and instantly I could go 4-5 days between each charge, with the same applications running and the same amount of usage.

Just an easy tip I think you should try if you have the same problem.

jaia21

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same problem. A rep told me this phone was having so many issues they stopped making it. The first time they replaced it they said it was the processor but when the second phone came and they installed jellybean the battery/phone started over heating to the point I couldn't use it when I went back I learned they didn't replace the battery and now they wouldn't cause it was out of warranty which battery warranty is only a year by the way. They suggested I buy a new battery from them for 60 dollars and I did not. So to make a long story short I would suggest getting another phone until ur contract is up and weigh your options I have spent a week on the phone with sprint and in the store and they are sending me a comparable phone cause I told them I wasn't going to replace it again only to have more issues and I was not gonna buy another phone or battery because this phone was malfunctioned and they knew it

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
It won't charge at all. My wife came in couple hours ago and the battery was so dead it wouldn't boot. Even off it won't charge. This new battery from sprint the day b4 yesterday. Definitely messed up, luckily I had a new battery dropped off by ups late afternoon from amazon. Only 7 bucks and 5 for shippin. Atleast I can wipe it.
This is how it went;
January- update fl24 fries the Rom so it wont boot into android and tech dude at sprint says he can't fix it so he orders new(refurb). I know this phone could have been recovered.
February- spend three weeks with F'd up refurb that won't wake from calls mostly and goes dark when trying to do other things other than calls. Another refurb on the way.
M & April went ok even with the new update (JB) except battery would only last few hours.
2 weeks ago left town on vaca it starts really acting up. Of all times to start this crap.
Called sprint dude says we can upgrade where as 3 days ago the dude said no way we can upgrade without paying full price. I am a rats *** hair close to pulling her phone back to Verizy. I will be in the store in the morning to get new phone most likely a S4.
wish me luck :)

sabkt

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
all complaining about jelly bean please note , I faced same but now it is perfect! -I only changed from screen the active widgets ..I still have 6 screens but with no active and that has done a lot , now I dont have reason to complain .

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
all complaining about jelly bean please note , I faced same but now it is perfect! -I only changed from screen the active widgets ..I still have 6 screens but with no active and that has done a lot , now I dont have reason to complain .
Good information, thanks for sharing!

Don Kinnsch

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I too installed the jellybean 4.1.2 on my sprint samsung galaxy s2 epic 4g touch. My battery was dead in 3 hours ! Whoa ! I couldn't believe it. After 2 days of googling the problem without the solution, IT'S FIXED ! - So far, so good. Before I applied my fix the battery was at 50%, AFTER THE FIX, MY BATTERY CLIMBED TO 55% WITHOUT EVEN PLUGGING IT IN !!!
Here's what I did. I went to settings, then to activate this device (at the bottom), I then clicked on power configuration and noticed that my data roaming was totally red (massive power drain), which you only need when you're outside the Sprint coverage area (I was at home and didn't need it, so I turned it off and my battery went up to 55% without even plugging it in !!!!!!!!!!!! Try it out and let me know if this fixes the power drain problem on your Galaxy Epic 4G Touch. email me at [email address removed]. Thanks, hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtiesMom

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Where is a good place to get new battery for a Samsung Epic S2 (Sprint) without paying a ziilion bucks? I have had my phone for well over a year (maybe 2) and I'm betting I'm needing a new battery based on what I'm reading here.
I'm running JB 4.1.2 and yes, have noticed battery drain and it won't charge when connected by USB cable in our car. Really??
I wish I could turn all the Sprint apps, but there isn't a way. :-(
Annoying.
Thanks you!

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Where is a good place to get new battery for a Samsung Epic S2 (Sprint) without paying a ziilion bucks? I have had my phone for well over a year (maybe 2) and I'm betting I'm needing a new battery based on what I'm reading here.
I'm running JB 4.1.2 and yes, have noticed battery drain and it won't charge when connected by USB cable in our car. Really??
I wish I could turn all the Sprint apps, but there isn't a way. :-(
Annoying.
Thanks you!

Here's a link to the eBay Seller from whom I purchased my Samsung E4GT battery back in April. Their price has gone up a bit, but it's still under $20. You can find cheaper ones on eBay and Amazon, but I can't assure the quality (as many are reported as being refurbished). The battery I received from this vendor appeared to be factory fresh and has been working like a charm. My battery stats report 21+ Hours of average run time.

New EB625152VA Battery Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 s II 2 Epic 4G Touch D710 | eBay

As for not charging via USB in the car... Make sure you are using a good quality power adapter in your lighter socket. Many cheap ones don't provide enough amperage to charge the unit fast enough as compared to battery drain being caused by GPS, Streaming Music apps, etc...

You can get rid of all the Sprint Bloatware, but you'd have to root the phone. I did it with the Odin One-Click method (my first try at rooting any phone) and it was super-simple... thrilled I did it and have never looked back!

Hope this info helps and I wish you the best of luck!

Amanda Moore1

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I'm having the same problem!! I have the same phone and did the upgrade the same night it was available. Since then my battery has been awful, about 4 hrs max and 2 & half hrs with heavy usage. I tried messing with screen display and power saving mode but nothing works. There are some nice features on 4.1 but I absolutely hate the keyboard and wish you didn't have to use swype. I actually thought this upgrade would be good since I have 4.1 jellybean on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, I was wrong.

cahillsr

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem.the problem seems to be with the launcher. Try replacing your
Launcher with go launcher. This should help with your battery life

fhussaini

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
hi,
This is Faisal Hussaini and i have Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100 in which i m facing battery drain problem as without using the phone even if the power saving mode is on the battery level goes down every quickly. I have tried many battery saver application but still face the same problem, please revert on my email if you have any solution for the same.
Email ID :- [email address removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonila

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've also had this huge battery drain issue since Jelly Bean and yesturday I figured out a way to fix it.

My problem was, that I skipped Samsung Account at initialization after factory reset. I've done dozens of factory resets and noticed, that something at init was the reason for the battery drain, since sometimes the drain was gone.

Before adding Samsung account, my battery lasted for ~16 hours. Now it has been on for 16 hours and I still have 75% battery left.

So, since I skipped Samsung account login at phone initialization, I added it by logging into "Samsung Apps". I also updated several Samsung apps that "Samsung apps" suggested.

Sabrina J-l

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I didn't read the entirety of this thread, so I am not sure if my solution has already been mentioned, but if not here is my solution.

I drove to the retailer who I got my Samsung Galaxy SII phone from, and explained my problem. Immediately the associate held down the "home" symbol at the bottom of the phone, which brought up a window showing all open/running programs. These programs do not show up in the top bar of the phone where "open" programs typically show up. There were about a dozen (or more!) programs that were running in the background which had absolutely drained my battery (and I hadn't even used my phone today). Once she cleared these background-running programs, my phone finally started to charge. Previously it would take about 20 minutes to charge 1-2% of its battery life.

She advised that programs that require a username & password log in can also drain the battery -- although I think that's not the real problem here -- so to log out each time I am finished using said programs (Facebook, etc.).

I am not sure if this will be a forever fix, but I'm going to give it a go. Hope this helps!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia