Massive Battery Drain on Samsung Galaxy S2 with JellyBean GB27

Jason Lippe

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm searching for anyone who recently installed JellyBean on their Samsung GalaxyS2 4G Epic. Just did the update today because we were having really bad battery performance with the phone with IceCream installed. Went to the Sprint store and they said the battery is fine (and of course had no other recommendations other than buy a new phone). But they did say that the JellyBean update would definitely help. So we did that.

Have a Model SPH-D710 and are now on Version GB27 (4.1.2). Today the battery was drained in less than four hours. Even with Power Saving on, the Screen is averaging about 50% of the battery with the Android OS in second place taking up 11%.

If anyone out there has had similar issues and has recommendations on how to best solve for it, I would appreciate any advice you have. Thanks.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes when new updates are installed on your device especially huge updates like upgrading OS versions will sometimes have some quirks. Your best bet is to do a couple of power drains. Meaning let the phone perform as expected and let it die. Then charge it completely while it is dead. The next time you use the phone you should see some improvements. Last ditch effort would be to get an OEM battery or re installing the update once again.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had Sprint store give me brand new free batteries for my SG2. They should have offered you a brand new battery. Yup, after a major update sometimes the phone takes a few power down cycles to happen then battery life is better. Also if your wallpaper is colorful it could take up power resources and if you have apps running in the background. I read somewhere using a wallpaper with not many colors helps battery life. Thus using a wallpaper with black color in it helps. I have tested using a wallpaper that is colorful and my battery tended to drain a lot faster compared to using a wallpaper with black/darker colors. That's just my own conclusion! :)

13curly

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Also, if you're in an area that does not have WiMAX you might want to try turning off the Sprint Connections Optimizer. I found it was a huge drain on my battery.

To turn it off, go to settings, select More Settings, Mobile Networks, Connections Optimizer, uncheck the box.

Jeremy Ruzanski

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I get bread drain when I have crappy signal... some areas I can't get one 3g bar... and down goes battery quickly... very poor antenna in this phone... my wife has a photon... always much better reception than me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

BBurg_16827

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Along with the massive battery drain, I find my phone giving me very poor signals most of the time now. Not sure if this is a known issue in the Philadelphia area or as a whole.

UmbertoD

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

The main cause of battery drain in Jelly bean is the new 'Google Now'.
Turn it off.You will find a on/off slider in settings.
Also,enable all the four options under 'Power Saving' before enabling it.
Thirdly,install the app 'PowerMax' from Play Store and activate it.Its darned good in saving battery consumption.
I have a Galaxy Note which started having massive consumption of battery (draining in under 5 hours) since I updated to Jellybean.
After the above steps,its back to 8-8.5 hours -what I used to get on ICS.
Hope this helps.

Stardove Moon

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Also, if you're in an area that does not have WiMAX you might want to try turning off the Sprint Connections Optimizer. I found it was a huge drain on my battery.

To turn it off, go to settings, select More Settings, Mobile Networks, Connections Optimizer, uncheck the box.
I kept having Sprint ID cannot connect, but yet it cannot be uninstalled (another issue). Calling Sprint I was told to do the above. First I had to "allow" before I could get the the check mark to uncheck. Next every time I reboot (turn off and turn back on) the phone the check mark will reappear, so I have to go back and allow then uncheck. What a pain. It hasn't helped all the much with the battery drain, but at least it stops the Sprint ID from searching.

anozir

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with battery drain on display. ~60% of the battery drain is from the display and it discharges relatively quickly. ~20mins of usage knocks my battery from 100% to 60%. Anyone know why or have a solution?

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with battery drain on display. ~60% of the battery drain is from the display and it discharges relatively quickly. ~20mins of usage knocks my battery from 100% to 60%. Anyone know why or have a solution?

Have you reviewed and implemented tips and recommendation on this thread? If so, which ones?

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Open Google Now > Click Menu and select Settings > Click Google Now > On top right you will have the option to turn off Google Now.

:confused: I don't even see the Google Now in my APPS.....is it hidden somewhere or am I blind.....Would appreciate any assistance with this....detail info on steps to get to Google now will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!:)

Edit: Never mind I found it....now gotta see if this off setting will not make battery drain...

Last edited:

anozir

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Have you reviewed and implemented tips and recommendation on this thread? If so, which ones?

Sprint Connections Optimizer is off, Google Now is disabled and I've done a factory reset. Light use of the phone (57 minutes of display use) and the battery is down to 24%.

paulhead

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Sprint Connections Optimizer is off, Google Now is disabled and I've done a factory reset. Light use of the phone (57 minutes of display use) and the battery is down to 24%.
How old is your battery? Do some searches on these threads you'll find the answer. I don't use facebook on my phone any more. After my reset I've installed very few apps, not even FB and I'm getting avg 12 hrs, sometimes less with heavier use. But if I leave it alone It'll only lose a few %'s after a few hours. But after a year I got a new battery too.

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a fairly new battery & seeing much faster battery drain than when on ICS. Screen always shows huge drain, but standby lasts a long time. In fact, when I'm using mine while plugged in, the phone actually DROPS in power instead of charging. Never used to do that before on ICS.

Rajesh Roy

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue and resolved by resetting device along with formatting inbuilt device memory and attached SD card. formatting a device will clear old junks. Please take backup of your important stuffs before formatting your device.

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that factory reset took care of my issue. Phone doesn't drain as fast & now actually charges while using it.

Thank!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo