Should I do a factory reset after updating to GB27?

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Typically, you're fine after any update. Just keep using your phone. But every once in awhile there are updates that make the phone perform worse. Obviously that's not whats intended, so if you're experiencing any prolonged issues (unusual lag, battery drain, etc) then its probably best to reset and start fresh. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I've just updated to GB27 official stock, is it a good idea to do a factory reset?

I say... Absolutely... Yes! --- I agree with others that it's always a good idea after a major update (like this one). However, knowing how jacked-up things were with that ICS FL24 and Sprint's questionable OTA update process, I especially recommend a FULL Reset after this particular update. I did a full Wipe and Reset upon installing the Rooted GB27 build (just before the official release), and I've been extremely pleased... feels like a new phone!

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
***UPDATE***
Unfortunately, I'm still having issues. They seemed to go away, but have returned. Doing a Carbon Backup and then a factory wipe and restore. Will post the results in another post.

Last edited:

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the Wipe and Factory restore did the trick. It is like a new phone. The whole "butter" experience with JB is true. Smooth and fast. No lagging. I also have not see the android.process... stopped working dialog.

I did experience a "freeze moment" while using BeyondPod. So, I have started using PocketCasts. No problems since. So, some of my issues might have been with BeyondPod.

The one thing that is still an issue is that the speech recognition in Google Search stalls out when a Bluetooth is connected. This seems to be a problem with the build, as some web searching revealed that this is even a issue on the GS3. Gonna keep working on this one.

As for me, I will now always do a factory restore after upgrading to a new version of the OS. Tip...I use Nova Launcher Prime, so restoring my home screens was a breeze.

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
As for me, I will now always do a factory restore after upgrading to a new version of the OS. Tip...I use Nova Launcher Prime, so restoring my home screens was a breeze.

Glad it worked out for you. As I said above... when doing a major version upgrade, I would always recommend a Full Wipe. As for a good Podcast Player, I've been successfully using PodKicker for about a year and a half. It's nothing fancy, but has low operating overhead, does the job, and is Free.

I'm also a Nova Prime user and agree on the ease of restoring your desktop... as long as you've remembered to back it up.

Enjoy your "new" phone!