HDMI output appears distorted on nearly all displays...

graysonk95

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I recently purchased a microUSB->HDMI cable for my phone. The picture quality is excellent, however, the picture is scaled differently than it should be on all displays except my Vizio SmarTV.
For example, when watching a movie, the picture is in letterbox on my phone, but on the display it is squashed to look like it is 4:3.
It looks pretty ugly.

Fortunately on some of my displays I have an option to make the image "super wide" which returns it close to its original aspect ratio, however, most don't have this feature.

Any help here?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings/Display, and scroll down to HDMI Settings. Try checking or unchecking "Shrink to fit screen"--to be honest, I'm not sure which setting will be the more helpful one, but just experiment with checking it or unchecking it.

jaypee68

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings/Display, and scroll down to HDMI Settings. Try checking or unchecking "Shrink to fit screen"--to be honest, I'm not sure which setting will be the more helpful one, but just experiment with checking it or unchecking it.

The SPH-D710 doesn't have this option, in fact it doesn't even have an HDMI category under display.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I'm sorry--I missed it when you mentioned it was a microUSB-to-HDMI cable. The HDMI settings would only be available if your device had a microHDMI output, like my Razr Maxx.

Your best bet is usually to adjust the TV's aspect ratio. Are you sure not all of your displays have this option? I thought it was pretty standard on HDTVs.

graysonk95

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Every display can change the aspect ratio, but its just no enough to completely counteract the squashing.
One TV has a "super wide" option that completely fixes it, but no others do.
Meh. :/

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums