Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Issemann
  • 1 Post By carraser891
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Question Updated Google "Play Music" App Always Running & Using More Battery Power

Has anyone else noticed that since Google updated the standard "Play Music" app, last week, that the app is now also shown as running in your Task Manager list? It is also now listed as one of the high percentage "battery eaters" in my app list, whether I'm using it or not. I originally thought it might be a bad install, so I uninstalled, cleared cache/data, and re-installed... Same Result! I confirmed that the same is occurring (only after the update) on my friend's GS3.

Since the update is only a few days old, I can't seem to find any info on this issue. I really don't care that the app is running in the background, but the increased battery draw is bothering me. To clarify, I am only running the Music app, not yet subscribed to the new "All Access" streaming music service.

Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Global Posts
    457 Global Posts

I haven't seen any impact. I've used it quite a bit today, with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, and haven't noticed that much of a drain.
    (Edit: sorry, didn't notice this was under a particular phone. I'm using HTC One.)

Posted via Android Central App
    Sprint Customer since 2003, 5 lines, currently loving my HTC One. Previous phones - Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, BB Tour, BB Curve, BB Pearl, Palm Centro, LG-Muziq, Katana DLX, LG 550, Sanyo MM 5600, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8100

Default Re: Updated Google "Play Music" App Always Running & Using More Battery Power

I noticed and so have a few others. I un-installed the update and went back to the previous version. Now, it's no longer running in my task list. Let's see if battery improves.
    drk65 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Default Re: Updated Google "Play Music" App Always Running & Using More Battery Power

Quote Originally Posted by Issemann View Post
    I noticed and so have a few others. I un-installed the update and went back to the previous version. Now, it's no longer running in my task list. Let's see if battery improves.
    I checked the same when I did my initial uninstall, and confirm the previous version does not continuously run in the Task Manager. I re-installed because I really like the new interface and manage my 15,000+ song collection on Google Music. While many apps are "Running" in the background (behind the scenes), I'm wondering my the new Music App must run (and be shown in) the Task Manager. I also note that the Task Manager reports 0% CPU usage and between 10-20MB of RAM. However, with zero actual use of the App for 12 hours, my GSam Battery app reports that the App is using between 10-15% of my battery, while the previous version would register about 0.6% when not in active use. --- Puzzling!

ROM
    Jelly Bean

I just noticed it running in the background as well and eating away my battery life.....Thanks for bringing this up because I thought it was a bit strange for it to be running and I don't even use it. I have power amp.

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TW FH13 ICS 4.0.4

yea this is annoying. I don't even use the app and it's eating my battery away.

kahb likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

I noticed there was an update to this app in the Play store last night. I installed/updated, hoping this issue had been addressed... NO SUCH LUCK!

This appears to be resolved with the 5/23 update, version 5.0.1027 j 680591. It doesn't fire off on its own and if you kill it, it stays dead.

Oops never mind, it's back to running on its own and sucking battery. Time to uninstall again.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crocostimpy View Post
    Oops never mind, it's back to running on its own and sucking battery. Time to uninstall again.
    Yep... I was just about to break the same news to you.

Quote Originally Posted by drk65 View Post
    I checked the same when I did my initial uninstall, and confirm the previous version does not continuously run in the Task Manager. I re-installed because I really like the new interface and manage my 15,000+ song collection on Google Music. While many apps are "Running" in the background (behind the scenes), I'm wondering my the new Music App must run (and be shown in) the Task Manager. I also note that the Task Manager reports 0% CPU usage and between 10-20MB of RAM. However, with zero actual use of the App for 12 hours, my GSam Battery app reports that the App is using between 10-15% of my battery, while the previous version would register about 0.6% when not in active use. --- Puzzling!
    Same here. I thought it was just me.

hi,
    i've had the same issue and am really thankful for all the replies and advise. the problem itself must be device related, occurs on my Grand Duos (and drains measurable amounts of battery and is just plain annoying), but not on the Note 8.0.. uninstalling the updates solved the problem, let's hope it'll be fixed soon as the new interface is really nice.

Latest update appears to resolve this (this time for sure). Updated 5/30, version 5.0.1041J. 2 days with no rogue startups or noticeable batter drain.

As of now, it's running on my system but no noticeable battery drain. According to GSam Play Music has drained 0.4%

I have a phone.

Mine runs on it's own. I'll have full charge , go to bed, and wake up with 48% battery. I'll look and it's active,and I did not use it. and Google services is using all the battery when I look. Very frustrating .