Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: My phone keeps rebooting itself

I had the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830, after accidentally deleting important files while using Titanium Backup (doh!). To fix it, I tried the common solutions already mentioned:

- Factory Reset in Recovery Mode (several times)
    - Removing SD Card (several times)
    - Removing Battery (several times)
    - Many reboots in-between the above

... and still no luck. Same annoying loop with the startup screen rebooting constantly.

Finally, I found the answer: Reset the firmware!

There are a few steps involved, but essentially what you do is the following:

1. Download and unzip the version of ODIN Multi Downloader that is right for your phone. To know which version to use, click here:

I had to get ODIN from a torrent site, and apologies, but I don't have any further information on that. Just know that if you search for "ODIN" on most popular torrent sites you will find it (I got mine on the pirate bay). For more info on how to use ODIN, you can follow these instructions:

2. Run ODIN Multi Downloader, select the *.ops file from the ODIN folder, select "One Package", then select the image file in the ODIN folder (should be obvious).

3. Plug your phone to your PC via a USB cable, then reset the phone holding power and volume DOWN. The phone should then reboot with the message "Downloading..." on it, meaning that it is trying to connect to the ODIN Multi Downloader.

4. If all goes well, you should see messages on ODIN Multi Downloader that show the phone is connected. Then click "Start", and wait for all the tests and flashing to happen. Once the message "Passed" is showing in ODIN, you can unplug your phone.

5. Occassionally, I have to reboot the phone again to reset the factory settings after ODIN is done. To do this, hold down the Start and Power buttons until the phone boots up in recovery mode. Then select "Reset to Factory Settings" (or similar), then reboot.

6. Your phone should now be completely reset to the original firmware and factory settings.

The nice thing about using ODIN now is that I can now try installing different mods, and if I get the same problem again, I can simply boot the phone with Power+Home+VolumeDown, connect it to my PC, and run ODIN 4.38 instructions above, and the firmware is reset within 5 minutes. It's been well worth the few hours of headache I experienced searching high and low on the web to get the above info (and hopefully others find this helpful).

Cheers
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank Analysis; 01-25-2014 at 06:59 PM.

I am posting a full-story here to see if I get any extra advice. I see that no one has responded after Frank Analysis's comment on 01-25-2014...so not sure if that has worked for others or not... so here goes "my story." Anyone, Anyone, Bueler, Anyone....

Hello, helpful peeps.

Like so many others, I have had issues with my sprint issued Samsung Galaxy S2 / Epic 4g touch ever since the start. Over the last month, however, it has started the dreaded restart phase. I have read a lot of information on the forums and have troubleshooted in many ways. Now, I am looking for one last possible solution (okay, maybe even two solutions...) Although I am not a tech-guru, I am great at following a step by step guide.

I have about 2 weeks left on my crappy sprint contract. Cannot cancel sooner or I screw the folks on my F+F plan. I am trapped.

I have heard about rooting the phone, about custom ROMs, and a few other things that my 8am mind cannot recall. I am looking for advice on what the next best viable option is to make this phone stay on until the end of the contract time.

Current device memory: 1.97 total space, 0.98GB used for apps, 741mg available

Current USB storage: 11.50gb total space, 8.20gb available

I have removed the SD card as a "troubleshooting tip". I think the phone is actually working worse now, but this could just be because it is advancing in its crappiness.

Additional troubleshooting steps taken:
    - have cleared the cache via holding power button and "up" volume button process
    - have removed any recently added apps.
    - have had the battery tested (it is a new-ish battery anyway). Not a battery issue.
    - have MacGyver'ed the battery to make sure that it does not move (it was suggested that it could be a loose connection).
    - have used Kies Air to transfer photos and videos. There is now really nothing that I "need" on my phone except my contacts (which for the life of me I cannot figure out how to transfer on Kies)
    - have resisted doing the factory reset, only because it seems that so many people on the forums that have done it have not seen a change from doing the factory reset.

What I need: to be able have my phone stay on without rebooting to use my phone on Spotify with downloaded playlists, Overdrive and FBReader (book readers), and a bonus would be to install JewelTime app. I do not need to use it as a phone...I'll be on vacation anyway during the last week of the plan. I'm not paying for international rates! HA! Phone will be on airplane mode and really does not need wireless (except to download apps before I leave for the trip).

Your help/advice/suggestions are GREATLY accepted.
    Thanks,

ROM
    AOKP 4.1.1

The only other I can think of that might help is formatting the internal sd card. If you have everything backed up that you need on the internal memory, I'd say give it a shot. Can't hurt anything and just might be a corrupted file on there.

Can do. Forgive the dumminess of this question though...when I do that, how do I get back my contact list? It says they are linked to my gmail account - so .... is it just as simple as signing into my phone with my gmail account again?

ROM
    AOKP 4.1.1

Contacts aren't stored on internal sd card. You can wipe it without losing your contacts. Even if it does, just sync your contacts first, then wipe. If you lose them just resync, and you'll get them back.
    Thanked by:

Wiped the internal USB drive.
    Phone restarted itself.
    I took out the battery and let the phone rest for about 5 minutes.
    Put the battery back in and it started before the power even was pressed.
    It has restarted four more times (cannot stay on) and drained the battery from 57% down to 16%.

ROM
    AOKP 4.1.1

Sounds like an issue with the power button itself, then. Your only option now is a repair or replacement.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by salgal1313 View Post
    Wiped the internal USB drive.
    Phone restarted itself.
    I took out the battery and let the phone rest for about 5 minutes.
    Put the battery back in and it started before the power even was pressed.
    It has restarted four more times (cannot stay on) and drained the battery from 57% down to 16%.
    Based on the severe battery percentage differential... I suggest you consider buying/trying a new battery. I experienced the same issue and after a lot of device/software troubleshooting, it turned out to be the battery. If you buy a new one, I suggest purchasing the original Samsung battery, not an off-brand version. I have both and the original Samsung battery is far superior. You can grab them on Amazon for under $10... well worth it.

You should also search this forum, as there are many discussions on this topic, many/most which lead to a battery replacement being the remedy. Good Luck!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123