Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dcleveng
  • 1 Post By BlackFirefly
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New Service Agreement for WiMax customers with Sprint - Please Read

Found this information from sprint.com under service agreement.

New Agreements on the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network: Your Service on a device activated on the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network may require a new one or two-year Agreement per line. Sprint expressly reserves the right to migrate your Service during this Agreement term from the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network to the Sprint 4G LTE network to complete your Agreement term. Reasonable advance notice of the Service change will be provided to impacted customers, who can then select one of the following options: (a) Choose to complete the Agreement term using your existing device without 4G (WiMAX) capability (b) Elect to complete the Agreement term by contacting us after receiving notice from Sprint to transition to the Sprint 4G LTE network with no additional term commitment required (Transition Option)(c) Deactivate service. Deactivations because of this Service change will not result in an Early Termination Fee (ETF). Transition Option: If you select the Transition Option, you will receive a free standard Sprint LTE capable device and can maintain your existing Service plan, if available. During the Agreement term, Sprint may provide other offers that are separate from the Transition Option, and these offers will be subject to a new two-year Agreement per line.
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here

Default Re: New Service Agreement for WiMax customers with Sprint - Please Read

Nice find. Do you have a link to this? It's about time they offered some options for us WiMAX phone users. I've always felt like we were somewhat misled. I purchased two lines and at the time we were promised WiMAX in my area, a few months later they announced that WiMAX was dead and they were moving toward LTE instead.

I'm weighing my options at this point. My contract will be up the end of this year and I'm contemplating what to do. Sprint used to be cheaper than Verizon, now I'm not so sure. I priced things out at both places and it's so close that I think I would rather pay $5 more per month and have better LTE coverage with Verizon.

I believe I found what you are referring to here. It seems like it's in preparation for the WiMAX shutdown later on, giving options to customers who are currently signing up on WiMAX phones.
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    8,130 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

It's good to see some options for Wimax users when the infrastructure goes dark.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I am glad there is some options coming. I really like sprint and hopefully they replace our phones with something good
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here

Hrm... wonder if I will get that upgrade in my area... the wimax coverage here is practically non-existent anyway, and there is no telling when (if) LTE will be implemented.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
    Hrm... wonder if I will get that upgrade in my area... the wimax coverage here is practically non-existent anyway, and there is no telling when (if) LTE will be implemented.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    There's no if to it if u have 3g odds are u are gonna get LTE. Sprint is handling this not clear.

Sent from my Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

I made the mistake of purchasing the Epic 4g touch(apparently wimax not LTE) at full price thinking I could just use my upgrade to get a S3 at a later time, but at the time funds were not there. I wonder if they would consider upgrading us to either a S3, shoot I would be happy with the sad excuse of a nexus device they have. What I heard today at the sprint store was that my current phones only hope for better service would be the upgrade to the 3g network..... Ya.

NOTICE: Take with a huge grain of salt

There is a good chance that us Phoenix peeps have a nice little upgrade on network coverage. As of this morning 06/21/13 130 of the 554 towers were replaced, 60+ being LTE.......Official notice coming soon???
    Again, this was a very little bird that told me.......You saw nothing here.

Global Posts
    8,130 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by rrollar View Post
    NOTICE: Take with a huge grain of salt

There is a good chance that us Phoenix peeps have a nice little upgrade on network coverage. As of this morning 06/21/13 130 of the 554 towers were replaced, 60+ being LTE.......Official notice coming soon???
    Again, this was a very little bird that told me.......You saw nothing here.
    Towers are live well before an official announcement. Activating these many towers with LTE in or near the Phoenix area does not surpise me. Good to see Sprint activating LTE.

any news on this? badly trying to get out of this crap sprint company/ETF

Looks like there are some mixed results over on XDA. Thinking about giving it a try.

Does this apply to me if I started my contract in April of 2012? I have an Epic 4G Touch too which, as some of you probably know, uses the 4G WiMAX.

I live in Baltimore, and even thought the 4G LTE here is supposedly good, WiMAX, not so much. It sucks so bad that I barely even turn it on; I have to suffer with sub-par 3G speeds
    Last edited by zackmack7; 07-09-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Not sure to be honest, they may argue that since you do have access to WiMAX and it is still supported in the areas it's been deployed that you don't qualify. I'm just speculating.

It doesn't hurt to try. The worst they can say is "No". Follow the advice on XDA, be specific about the changes in the Terms and Conditions of Service, keep them on topic and escalate the call if necessary.
    Thanked by:

I've been studying that XDA post since yesterday. I think I am ready to take Sprint on lol

Called Sprint today and talked with a rep. I told her about the change in the Terms and Conditions. She didn't know what specific piece I was referring to, but knew about the Wi-Max starting to be shut down. I read her the three options as described in the T&C. She told me that she wasn't exactly sure about those, but that she would find out and call me back.

About 25 minutes later, she did in fact call me, and confirmed that those were the three options for Wi-Max customers. I told her that I would like to end my contract without paying the ETF and port my number, and she proceeded to transfer my call to Account services or whatever its called. I got put on hold for a little less than 10 minutes. They guy in Accounts picked up, I told him I wanted to cancel. He told me that Sprint had not yet finalized the details for canceling the contracts for Wi-Max customers and all this other bs, but that it should be done in the next 1-2 days. After its finalized, he said he would call me back, noting that it would probably be tomorrow. Then he would go ahead and cancel my contract without the ETF. I asked for a reference/confirmation number and got it.

Seemed pretty easy; no hassle for me. Just hoping the guy actually calls me back like he says he will. And I had my E4GT since I began my contract in April of 2012, so it seems that it doesnt matter if you are a new customer or not.

I'll keep you all posted.

Good deal, sounds like you were able to make some progress with them. Keep us posted when you hear back.

I'm still on the fence myself about what I should do. The only other option for me, considering the area I live in, is Verizon. I haven't decide if I want to make the switch back to them or hold out in hopes of a better Sprint, some day. I was with Verizon for a long time and switched to Sprint because I always felt like Verizon nickle-and-dimed me to death, but at this point I'm just not sure the value is with Sprint any more. If Verizon had the HTC One and I had the extra cash to drop right now, I'd probably leave Sprint.

So the guy I talked to from Account Services never called me back. I decided to call up again today.

Spoke to the meanest, rudest lady. She gave me hell, saying that the new Terms & Conditions regarding WiMAX customers didn't apply to me because of my area ( I live in Baltimore) and because I had been a customer since April 2012. I argued back and forth with her about how I didn't agree to the T&C, and that regardless, the guy I had talked to on Tuesday told me I could leave without paying the ETF. She proceeded to tell me that this information was incorrect. I escalated the call, her supervisor basically told me the same thing. Long story short, they tried to tell me I was SOL. Both were a-holes. I hung up on them.

15 minutes later I chatted with a Sprint Rep online. I copy and pasted the Wi-Max section of the T&C in the chat. I told her my story about the people on the phone. She agreed that they were wrong about me being ineligible to have my ETF waived. After consulting with her supervisor, she verified that I was in fact eligible to terminate my contract without and ETF. She made a note on my account or whatever, and also submitted a request for me to have a call back from Account Services. I asked her for the reference number and chat ID, and she gave them.

For now I guess I will sit tight more, and hope I can get this thing done. Kinda irritated still, but she helped me out a lot. If anyone wants me to paste the chat transcript, I can do so after it gets emailed to me.

I have an update to this. I called Account Services and spoke to a great rep who broke it down for me. Essentially those customers with WiMax devices will receive a transition letter from Sprint once the WiMax network exit strategy is finalized. They do not have any solid news on when that will be. But just like they did with NexTel, the options will be communicated in enough time for customers to contact Sprint either disconnect service OR chose the replacement device. The rep compared the NexTel off-loading to this and noted that those customers did have a good selection of devices to chose from (at that time included the iPhone and a Galaxy class phone). Sounds promising, just don't know when to expect the letter. But either way, they are not allowing any proactive upgrades without legitimate upgrade eligibility based on contract timing. Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:
    asd216 
    asd216 likes this.

Hey bud if you have a sprint device I can transfer your service to a new plan with NO contract at $47 per month for unlimited talk text and data. There is no deal like this! Imagine everything included for $47 per month and NO contract! If you do not have a sprint device, you will need to purchase a device at regular price, but to be honest, to only pay $47 a month for unlimited talk text and data is worth it! Email me: shaktharani@gmail.com