I have a custom ROM (CM10.1) on my rooted phone; should I worry about Sprint system profile updates?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Back in February I got my E4GT and it's been great, except that in the past week or two I've noticed the network has become increasingly spotty at various locations around the neighborhood. I walk a lot, so I definitely notice when the radio program I'm streaming drops out. With my previous phone, which was also rooted and running a custom ROM (Hydro), I could sometimes improve my connection by running the PRL update, but with the current device tapping the PRL option under Phone->System doesn't do anything. My wife has the same model unrooted and essentially in factory condition, but the same thing happens on hers if we try to run the PRL update.e

Meanwhile, if I try the Sprint System Profile update it tries to dial the *22805 number but aborts with the message that I need to go someplace where the connection is better. Walking around the neighborhood I've found places where I can get a solid 3G or 4G connection, but I still can't run either profile update.

As far as I can tell from the CyanogenMod menu options, my instance of CM10.1 is up to date. So should I even be worried about either of the Sprint profiles?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Back in February I got my E4GT and it's been great, except that in the past week or two I've noticed the network has become increasingly spotty at various locations around the neighborhood. I walk a lot, so I definitely notice when the radio program I'm streaming drops out. With my previous phone, which was also rooted and running a custom ROM (Hydro), I could sometimes improve my connection by running the PRL update, but with the current device tapping the PRL option under Phone->System doesn't do anything. My wife has the same model unrooted and essentially in factory condition, but the same thing happens on hers if we try to run the PRL update.e

Meanwhile, if I try the Sprint System Profile update it tries to dial the *22805 number but aborts with the message that I need to go someplace where the connection is better. Walking around the neighborhood I've found places where I can get a solid 3G or 4G connection, but I still can't run either profile update.

As far as I can tell from the CyanogenMod menu options, my instance of CM10.1 is up to date. So should I even be worried about either of the Sprint profiles?

I have had some ROMs that don't play well with Sprint updates, and some that do. The ROM being up to date and your cell profile are two different things. Having an updated profile can mean the difference between a poor signla and a good one.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
CM10.1 and profile update issue on the E4GT?

Is anyone else having this issue with CyanogenMod 10.1 on the E4GT?

To further elaborate, if I try to do the Profile Update from the menu, it dials the code above and an answering voice in Spanish tells you what number to tap if you want that language, then in English "For customer service please call the number provided by your service provider". At that point a status bar appears along with the message "Please wait while your profile is updated" and this message and status bar will stay there without changing as long as I keep the screen on. Meanwhile, the call itself seems to get disconnected only a second or two into this whole process. In order to get that *22805 code I had to act really fast to grab it before the call shut down.

Alternatively I can dial *22805 and I get the same Spanish and English instructions, and then an onscreen message tells me that the signal is too weak and I should try going outside or standing near a window.

All this is just for the Profile Update. I can't see a PRL update option anywhere (I thought I had, but that was just the status display).

I sure hope I won't have to do a factory reset.

Last edited:

Surj138

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
You can't update profile/PRL on cm10.1 (or any other AOSP ROM) as it's missing the required dialer codes. You'll need to flash back to a TouchWiz ROM to do that.

Trolling from my Cricket-flashed Galaxy S2 E4GT using Tapatalk 2

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
You can't update profile/PRL on cm10.1 (or any other AOSP ROM) as it's missing the required dialer codes. You'll need to flash back to a TouchWiz ROM to do that.

Trolling from my Cricket-flashed Galaxy S2 E4GT using Tapatalk 2

Hypothetically, then, I'm taking your statement to mean any ROM that supports TouchWiz would do the trick, is that correct? IOW if there's a custom ROM out there that can do this, then I can just flash that and re-attempt the system updates.

Side question: Do Nandroid backups also save the system profile and PRL states? I already have a Nandroid backup from 2013-06-30, which has CM10.1 and pretty much all my apps. So, if I flash a TW-compliant ROM and do the system updates, can I then just do a Nandroid restore from the June 30 backup without rolling back the PRL and profile states?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
ETA: I went back to the stock ICS, rooted. Although there's a lot I like about CM10.1, I'm strongly inclined to stay with the stock OS if I can find a way to silence the camera shutter. One thing I liked about CM10.1 was that it was easy to do this with the volume rocker and/or the menus; on the other hand there was no timer for the camera.

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I know this thread is about custom ROM's, but Dark Penguin, ICS is not stock anymore. Jelly Bean is. Just thought I would share.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
ETA: I went back to the stock ICS, rooted. Although there's a lot I like about CM10.1, I'm strongly inclined to stay with the stock OS if I can find a way to silence the camera shutter. One thing I liked about CM10.1 was that it was easy to do this with the volume rocker and/or the menus; on the other hand there was no timer for the camera.
You can add no shutter sound for GB27 (Jellybean): [MOD][ODIN]Add Camera Shutter Sound Toggle NO ROOT! - xda-developers

You can load the stock GB27 (see the stickies for the appropriate files) and use the above thread to enable no shutter sound.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
It worked perfectly. Now to get root back, without losing the shutter mute option. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I was unwilling to edit my feature.xml file by hand, so I flashed the Odin-OC file provided by the link, hoping it would change feature.xml and not do anything else but that isn't what happened.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It worked perfectly. Now to get root back, without losing the shutter mute option. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I was unwilling to edit my feature.xml file by hand, so I flashed the Odin-OC file provided by the link, hoping it would change feature.xml and not do anything else but that isn't what happened.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Most rooted ROMs have the muted shutter.

rseiler

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Side question: Do Nandroid backups also save the system profile and PRL states? I already have a Nandroid backup from 2013-06-30, which has CM10.1 and pretty much all my apps. So, if I flash a TW-compliant ROM and do the system updates, can I then just do a Nandroid restore from the June 30 backup without rolling back the PRL and profile states?
I can't tell from your further posts what the answer to this is. I'm in a similar situation with CM10.1, and it would be nice to know that a Nandroid will get me back to it without obliterating the PRL, profile, and other carrier changes made with a stock ROM.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't tell from your further posts what the answer to this is. I'm in a similar situation with CM10.1, and it would be nice to know that a Nandroid will get me back to it without obliterating the PRL, profile, and other carrier changes made with a stock ROM.
I'm pretty sure you won't lose the updated PRL and Profile if you update on a TW ROM then restore a backup to CM10.1. You can check this by updating PRL on TW, restore the Nandroid then go into the about phone and see what PRL number you have. It should match the TW number.