Apps won't update - error message help

mikefour77

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

So my GS2 keeps giving me this error message when it tries to update apps from the play store:

"Application cannot be installed in the default location"

I have 200 MB of storage space available, so it isn't a space thing. Can anyone provide a bit more insight about what would cause that particular error message?

I do not use an SD card.

Thanks!

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I recommend you clear your Cache. If you don't have an app to do this, I suggest you install Clean Master, which is Free in the Play store. This app does not require root and allows you to easily clean your entire system cache, as well as offering a "1-Tap Boost" when RAM is getting low. I've occasionally received the same error you mentioned and also am sitting at around 200MB of available memory. Once I've cleared the Cache, I was able to successfully update apps.

I have no basis for the following recommendation, other than it seems to be consistent with my phone. When I see that I have more than 3 updates available, I choose to update each app individually, rather than "Update All", which sometimes seems to get bogged down and/or never finish. Just a suggestion to consider.

Here's a link to Clean Master in the Play Store: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bS5jbGVhbm1hc3Rlci5tZ3VhcmQiXQ&token=K7wk43hY..

Best of luck to you and let us know if this worked or if you found an alternative solution.

mikefour77

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but no luck with Clean Master. I just has to remove some apps that I wasn't using to make some room on the app partition, and then it was mostly corrected.

Having said that, I am sure I am going to run into this again as soon as I put a few more apps on the phone.

Wasn't Jelly Bean supposed to remove the app partition in the internal storage allowing folks to use the entire internal storage for apps, should they choose? Or is that only a Nexus thing.....

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Sorry Clean Master didn't do the trick for you. The other option would be to move some Apps (high MB games, etc) to an External SD card. You can do this from the "Manage Apps" option in the main menu. If the app is eligible to be moved, it will light up with a button "Move To SD Card" in the lower left hand corner. While I am rooted, I believe this option was available to me Pre-Root, as well.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon