Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mikefour77
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Insufficient Storage??

Can someone please explain to me why I my apps won't update? I keep getting an error saying insufficient storage, but when I look at the storage available, I see this:

Insufficient Storage??-screenshot_2013-08-16-09-53-13.png

Maybe I am confused, but do I not have over 500MB available????

Global Posts
    30,614 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: Insufficient Storage??

Quote Originally Posted by mikefour77 View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why I my apps won't update? I keep getting an error saying insufficient storage, but when I look at the storage available, I see this:

Keep in mind, the OS likes to have a certain number of space free. I think it's 250 MB. So there is half of your remaining storage. Perhaps cleaning up the phone to get more. Delete apps you don't use. Clear cache in recovery. Delete older SMS and MMS that you really don't need. Any media file (Music, videos, pictures) that could be moved to your SD card, move them.

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

A simple 1st step to dry is deleting a few unused/unnecessary apps, then install a Cache Cleaner app, like CleanMaster (which I've successfully used for about 6-8 months). Use that app to clear out the cache for all applicable apps (no root required). After the cleaning process is complete, go back to the Play store and see if you can now install the updates. --- Personal preference... but I would update each app one at a time, rather than selecting the "Update All" option. --- Good Luck!

Global Posts
    13,077 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Clearing cache will certainly help free up storage. Do the above recommendations and let us know how things go.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Clearing cache will certainly help free up storage. Do the above recommendations and let us know how things go.
    First off, thanks for the replies! I ended up removing some unused apps to get around this problem for now, but here's where I am confused.

When I clear the cache for some of the apps on the phone, the "device memory" is unaffected; I only gain free space on the internal memory, which is not even half full (see screenshot):

Insufficient Storage??-n.png

So what gives? When the system says 'insufficient storage' which one are they talking about?? I should note that I do not use an external SD card since the card reader on my phone doesn't work.

Global Posts
    30,614 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

First off, thanks for the replies! I ended up removing some unused apps to get around this problem for now, but here's where I am confused.

When I clear the cache for some of the apps on the phone, the "device memory" is unaffected; I only gain free space on the internal memory, which is not even half full (see screenshot):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	76966

So what gives? When the system says 'insufficient storage' which one are they talking about?? I should note that I do not use an external SD card since the card reader on my phone doesn't work.
    Just to make sure, you cleared the devices cache in recovery mode, right? Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Just to make sure, you cleared the devices cache in recovery mode, right? Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    No, the previous posts indicated using Clean Master which cleared some of the application caches of the apps on the device, not the device cache.

I missed the distinction between the application and device cache you made in your previous post where you refer to recovery mode.

Global Posts
    30,614 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

No, the previous posts indicated using Clean Master which cleared some of the application caches of the apps on the device, not the device cache.

I missed the distinction between the application and device cache you made in your previous post where you refer to recovery mode.
    No sweat. Happens a lot. Have you tried it?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

No sweat. Happens a lot. Have you tried it?.
    No, not yet. Since I deleted some apps, the error went away. Next time it happens though, I will give it a try. Thanks!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    30,614 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

No, not yet. Since I deleted some apps, the error went away. Next time it happens though, I will give it a try. Thanks!
    Something else that may help: Have you disabled bloatware?

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    My understanding that Clearing Cache in Recovery Mode is doing the same thing that CleanMaster does within the app to Clear Cache. --- However, if you want to go a step deeper, you can also try clearing the "Dalvik Cache". Without rooting, that can only be done in Recovery Mode, and I believe you'll find the Dalvik selection under "Advanced" (or something like that) within the phone's Recovery Mode. --- Note that when you clear the Dalvik Cache, your phone will take longer to boot on the next startup, as you'll see it rebuilding some system files. Good Luck!

Global Posts
    30,614 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by drk65 View Post
    My understanding that Clearing Cache in Recovery Mode is doing the same thing that CleanMaster does within the app to Clear Cache. --- However, if you want to go a step deeper, you can also try clearing the "Dalvik Cache". Without rooting, that can only be done in Recovery Mode, and I believe you'll find the Dalvik selection under "Advanced" (or something like that) within the phone's Recovery Mode. --- Note that when you clear the Dalvik Cache, your phone will take longer to boot on the next startup, as you'll see it rebuilding some system files. Good Luck!
    Whenever I run Clean Master, I don't get any system applications. That is why I suggest a recovery cache wipe.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    drk65 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Whenever I run Clean Master, I don't get any system applications. That is why I suggest a recovery cache wipe.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    Just an FYI - I was getting the original error message again, and this time, I went and cleared the Davlik cache with no luck upon reboot. I still needed to remove some other apps to free up space to allow the updates.

Any other thoughts?

Simple fix is to go to you phone keypad and enter *#9900# then choose the second option which is "Delete dumpstate/logcat". That's it - all done.

On your phone keypad enter *#9900# and choose the second option. This will fix your problem.

How do I access the phone keypad ?

Quote Originally Posted by stayathomedad564 View Post
    How do I access the phone keypad ?
    Welcome to Android Central! They're referring to the Dialer. Just press the phone icon as if you were going to make a call, but then input the code that you see above.

I can't find a phone icon

What device are you using? I was assuming that you have an Epic 4G Touch, like the OP.

Posted via Android Central App

I have a nextbook model nxod8hd8g

This thread is about a phone. You have a tablet, which doesn't have a phone function, so you can't access those dialer codes.

Posted via Android Central App