What to do - Phantom Menu button

apebull

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my S2 for 2 weeks and I am getting the phantom menu button problem. I don't have Sprint I have Boost so I can't take it to the Sprint store to get fixed. I called Samsung and since I just go it, it's still under warranty. Should I go ahead and send it in for repair and will that help. I've searched this and other forums and found that sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I need my phone for work and don't really want to be without it for 2+ weeks. Plus I don't have a back up phone since my last one went swimming and didn't come back to life. Hence the new phone, and getting another new phone is NOT an options. So what should I do - Send it in or live with it??? And it's bad I even get the phantom menu and search button pop ups when I'm using the wifi. So it's not always when I have little to no bars with the 3G.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my S2 for 2 weeks and I am getting the phantom menu button problem. I don't have Sprint I have Boost so I can't take it to the Sprint store to get fixed. I called Samsung and since I just go it, it's still under warranty. Should I go ahead and send it in for repair and will that help. I've searched this and other forums and found that sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I need my phone for work and don't really want to be without it for 2+ weeks. Plus I don't have a back up phone since my last one went swimming and didn't come back to life. Hence the new phone, and getting another new phone is NOT an options. So what should I do - Send it in or live with it??? And it's bad I even get the phantom menu and search button pop ups when I'm using the wifi. So it's not always when I have little to no bars with the 3G.

First, I see you are pretty new, so welcome to the forums!

Second, I need some more details on what the problem is. Could you describe the Phantom Phenomenon a little more?
Also, could you include your baseband version if you would, please?

apebull

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
It a 4.1.2 ? I posted about the problem on Thurday last week. Basically when I have a low signal strength the menu and or search will keep popping up and down like I had my finger sitting on the screen. You can't do anything while its doing it. It complete freezes up the screen. For a minute or more. Like I said I've done some research and its a hardware problem. Something about the 3G antenna being to close too the menu button and it can't figure out how to tell the difference between it searching for a signal and you hitting the button.

- - - Updated - - -

It a 4.1.2 ? I posted about the problem on Thurday last week. Basically when I have a low signal strength the menu and or search will keep popping up and down like I had my finger sitting on the screen. You can't do anything while its doing it. It complete freezes up the screen. For a minute or more. Like I said I've done some research and its a hardware problem. Something about the 3G antenna being to close too the menu button and it can't figure out how to tell the difference between it searching for a signal and you hitting the button.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

For kicks...try rebooting into recovery and wiping cache. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I had that problem and Sprint swapped it for one that works much better. This is a hardware issue and cleaning caches and reflashing won't do anything. Go to Sprint.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The problem is I don't have sprint I have boost. So to get it did fixed I have to send it to Samsung.

Good thing about that is that Samsung will send you a replacement phone until you get it back. I have a friend that was in a similar situation, it took her two weeks to get her phone back and in the meantime they gave her a flip phone to use.

Sent from the stars...

apebull

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Good thing about that is that Samsung will send you a replacement phone until you get it back. I have a friend that was in a similar situation, it took her two weeks to get her phone back and in the meantime they gave her a flip phone to use.

Sent from the stars...

Samsung told me that they don't do replacement phones. When I call again today I'll re-ask about it. So sending it in will help, right. I'm just afraid that it will come back with the same issue.

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
You can read the whole thread, but here's the link to my post. When I first had the problem, I could not find ANY other people with the same complaint, so it's funny to me that about 1.5 years later the issue is starting to show up more - I figured it would have been fixed by now.

Based on my results, I suggest buying a new phone & using a turn-in/recycle service to get money back on the phone. That is....unless you can talk Samsung into admitting this is a HARDWARE problem & they will fix/replace your phone....not just flash new software onto it.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely a hardware problem. I had 2 different S2s and they both did it, although it was only occasionally. My wife's on the other hand does it to the point where the phone isn't even usable sometimes. We are now on the 4th or 5th refurbished replacement and they all end up doing the same thing. The techs at the local Sprint repair center have confirmed that it's a very common problem, but all they're allowed to do is keep exchanging them for refurbished replacements. Needless to say, we are done with Samsung. I've moved on to the HTC One, and the wife is going to get either the One or an iPhone.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

apebull

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
OK so now I'm PI**ED. I called Samsung this morning and no they don't do replacement phones while yours is in for repair. Then she told me that my phone was OUT OF WARRENTY!!! I've had it for 2 weeks. So I went online to HSN (where I got the phone so I can make payments) printed the receipt faxed it in and Samsung said it wasn't proof enough. WTH am I to do now!!! I can't go to Sprint to get it fixed since I have Boost, I've already asked. I can't just "buy a new phone" HELLO I don't have hundreds laying around hence HSN for the phone in the first place. But it's so bad that I can't even use the phone unless I have full bars. It completely freaks out and freezes up. And from everything I've been reading I'm not sure sending it in to be fixed will even fix it. Everyone here and the Sprint forum says it's a well know problem. Even the guy I know that runs a Sprint store know exactly what I was talking about but the people at Samsung sound like I'm the first person that's ever had this problem and they have not idea how it fix it or what it is. I'm just so mad and upset I could cry. I don't have the $$$ for this. And I already have a 6 month old $200 paper weight of a phone from when I fell into a pool.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK so now I'm PI**ED. I called Samsung this morning and no they don't do replacement phones while yours is in for repair. Then she told me that my phone was OUT OF WARRENTY!!! I've had it for 2 weeks. So I went online to HSN (where I got the phone so I can make payments) printed the receipt faxed it in and Samsung said it wasn't proof enough. WTH am I to do now!!! I can't go to Sprint to get it fixed since I have Boost, I've already asked. I can't just "buy a new phone" HELLO I don't have hundreds laying around hence HSN for the phone in the first place. But it's so bad that I can't even use the phone unless I have full bars. It completely freaks out and freezes up. And from everything I've been reading I'm not sure sending it in to be fixed will even fix it. Everyone here and the Sprint forum says it's a well know problem. Even the guy I know that runs a Sprint store know exactly what I was talking about but the people at Samsung sound like I'm the first person that's ever had this problem and they have not idea how it fix it or what it is. I'm just so mad and upset I could cry. I don't have the $$$ for this. And I already have a 6 month old $200 paper weight of a phone from when I fell into a pool.

Maybe HSN can help with an exchange or something.

From a SlimROM S3

apebull

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I called HSN and they are going to send me the proof of purchase. So that better work. HSN said I can return it, but not exchange since they don't carry it anymore. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

apebull

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok I talked to Samsung AGAIN this morning and low and behold my phone is in warranty DUH! So I'm sending it in for repair. Fingures crossed that they actually fix it.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok I talked to Samsung AGAIN this morning and low and behold my phone is in warranty DUH! So I'm sending it in for repair. Fingures crossed that they actually fix it.

I hope so too. I have the same device and it's great.

From a SlimROM S3

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
When I had this problem Sprint replaced it with a refurbished device. The phantom problem has happened maybe 3 times since April where, before, it was happening 3 times before lunch. Good luck.

apebull

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Well I decided NOT to send it to Samsung after all. I have a friend that manages a Sprint store and he says the phone is no good and don't even bother. SO since it's still in its 30 money back guarantee with HSH I'm sending it back. I don't have the money for another upgrade so I'm downgrading :( I'm either going to a HTC EVO design for the LG Venice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power