Help Please!!! My new sd card won't mount

Melissa Flory

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I recently upgraded my 16gb Sandisk microsd card to a 32gb Samsung one. I proceed to unmount my 16gb card and hook it up to my
card reader and then placed my 32gb one in the sd card reader I copied and pasted everything and then tried to install it on my phone.
I restarted my phone and and immeditly after my phone got done mounting It said my sdcard was ready to be removed. It did this mutple times
until It finally offered me the option of formating my card. I chose yes only for nothing to happen. I removed the 32gb and reinstalled my
16gb no problems and windows has no problem reading the 32gb one. I have tried many many times to figure out what is going on and failed.
So now I turn to the wise wise minds of the internet for help!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently upgraded my 16gb Sandisk microsd card to a 32gb Samsung one. I proceed to unmount my 16gb card and hook it up to my
card reader and then placed my 32gb one in the sd card reader I copied and pasted everything and then tried to install it on my phone.
I restarted my phone and and immeditly after my phone got done mounting It said my sdcard was ready to be removed. It did this mutple times
until It finally offered me the option of formating my card. I chose yes only for nothing to happen. I removed the 32gb and reinstalled my
16gb no problems and windows has no problem reading the 32gb one. I have tried many many times to figure out what is going on and failed.

Welcome to the forums!
I would try to reformat the card in Windows. Then, with it blank, mount it to your phone.

Melissa Flory

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
The problem is I tried to do that right off the bat. I first thing put the card in phone so It could format my data! Should I try to put my apps
back on the phone first? I thought that any app moves were to the internal sd memory? And Thanks :)
PS I am now formating through windows to the NFTS file system hoping maybe it might help Any suggestions if it doesn't?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The problem is I tried to do that right off the bat. I first thing put the card in phone so It could format my data! Should I try to put my apps
back on the phone first? I thought that any app moves were to the internal sd memory? And Thanks :)

I would say try yo get everything back to what's called out if the box. Meaning, original state. It may be possible some of the files are tied to the first card.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Melissa Flory

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok I have finally solved this problem!! So if anyone else shall come upon this problem here you go!
1. First open the chip up in windows
2. right-click and choose format card
3. make sure the card is set to format to the NTFS heading on the formating options
4. Format Card
5. Insert Chip into phone
6. Format your chip to the phone
7. If copying and pasting any files Do so and it should work no problem

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok I have finally solved this problem!! So if anyone else shall come upon this problem here you go!
1. First open the chip up in windows
2. right-click and choose format card
3. make sure the card is set to format to the NTFS heading on the formating options
4. Format Card
5. Insert Chip into phone
6. Format your chip to the phone
7. If copying and pasting any files Do so and it should work no problem

Thanks for posting the solution. I keep forgetting about NTFS format.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

anfield786

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Having problems with my S4 recognising/mounting my new 32gb Sandisk SD Card.

Formatted it via my PC firstly to FAT32 and still no luck so reformatted to NTFS and this time the card is mounted but showing capacity as 0.0gb.

There is no option for me to format the card on my phone and the option to unmount the card is greyed out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You can turn the phone off and just remove it. Then reboot. Then shut off again, replace card, reformat to FAT32, inside the phone.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

anfield786

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mrsmumbles,

Thank you for the response but unfortunately no success. I should state that my phone is rooted and running cyanogenMod 11 (Kitkat 4.4). Not sure if this makes any difference?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mrsmumbles,

Thank you for the response but unfortunately no success. I should state that my phone is rooted and running cyanogenMod 11 (Kitkat 4.4). Not sure if this makes any difference?

Oh, I dunno. It may. The bright side is maybe you wouldn't have to format depending on which ROM you install?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

ToyBoxMom

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I looked at help threads for hours trying different things. This was a great solution and probably was what I needed, but my sd card still didn't show up on my phone. I followed instructions twice over and rebooted the phone periodically just in case. BUT, as soon as I unplugged the phone from the pc, everything was there as it should have been all along--just from unplugging it. Who knew.

special_phantom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I had similar problem with a Samsung 16GB class 10 SD card. My Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE (XT897) did not recognize my SD card when it was inserted.
This works for me:
1.- Use Windows to format card to NTFS.
2.- Insert card into the phone (it is still not recognized)
3.- Turn off the phone (with the card inserted)
4.- Turn on the phone
5.- A message appears saying there is a card with no information or no valid format, and asks for formatting. Choose yes.
6.- After formatting is complete, the card is mounted and ready for use.

towney

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
If you format the SD card will that wipe everything off the SD card?
On mine if I put the SD card in in the computer it shows all the files but in the phone it is showing no SD card inserted, how is this possible. This just started happening today.
I have tried another spare 8mg SD card in the phone and it is recognizing that card.
Would I need to back everything up from the SD card to a computer file and get a new SD card and transfer it all to that? Do not want to lose everything on the SD card.

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten it finally to recognize the card, after doing all 6 steps but now after formatting the card it says "checking for errors" and then it will say SD card is safe to remove!
Plus now my wifi won't turn on ..it stays a faint green, but I can't slide it over to "on" in settings just stays grey there.
I've tried several SD cards,..and finally got a samsung thinking it should work with no problems.. still no go! :'(

Crazy phone! I have a Samsung Note 3 if it doesn't post in the proper area!

I had similar problem with a Samsung 16GB class 10 SD card. My Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE (XT897) did not recognize my SD card when it was inserted.
This works for me:
1.- Use Windows to format card to NTFS.
2.- Insert card into the phone (it is still not recognized)
3.- Turn off the phone (with the card inserted)
4.- Turn on the phone
5.- A message appears saying there is a card with no information or no valid format, and asks for formatting. Choose yes.
6.- After formatting is complete, the card is mounted and ready for use.

*Forgot to quote what I was speaking about... I took the card out until I can figure out whats wrong again, rebooted and got the wifi to come back on. I'll check back in tonight and see if anyone has further suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:

nickig28

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I've tried formatting on PC and on phone several times and I still get the same message SD card is safe to remove or if I try and transfer a file it said no SD card found...... FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing is ever simple with this phone!!! Since that last lollipop whatever... This phone SUCKS!!!!! and I can't upgrade for another year!!!! Someone PLEAAAASSSEEEEEEEEEEE Help Me!!!!! PLEASE! I have a Note 3.

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem past few weeks. It's a 32GB Samsung micro SD. After restarting several times it works sometimes it doesn't. The bigger problem is my SD card doesn't show up in my PC. Sometimes the phone says it is a damaged card and sometimes it works fine. I don't know what to do

DED ED STUDIOS

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I looked at help threads for hours trying different things. This was a great solution and probably was what I needed, but my sd card still didn't show up on my phone. I followed instructions twice over and rebooted the phone periodically just in case. BUT, as soon as I unplugged the phone from the pc, everything was there as it should have been all along--just from unplugging it. Who knew.

You must have had it mounted using USB storage. Try using an mtp connection next time. Eg plug into PC, open notification bar, {USB storage}, scroll to mtp and press on it

My 16gb **** smith card has worked flawlessly ever since I bought it, but about a week ago, i was playing mcpe on safe mode (don't ask me how) and it started freezing up then crashed. I deleted the world I was on but it was still there, so I tried numerous times to delete it, but it still didn't work. I tried opening it and it said it couldn't be opened. Then I went to delete it from the file explorer and it says no permission to delete. It does this with all my files and says they're corrupt when I go to open them. I unmounted the card, but when I go to remount it now, it pops up the stats for 1 second, then says "SD card safe to remove". Note I have no current access to a PC, and the card still works in an mp4 player. Also I don't want to lose all my data, so a format is out of the question. Help would be much appreciated :)

Budaknakal King

May 18, 2016
Visit site

my sd cart is mount please help me