My Galaxy won't Turn off?

Allison Eastham

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
My phone won't turn off when I press the power button. I can remove the battery and it will power down, but as soon as I put the battery back in, it turns on by itself. It rarely locks, and in order to get it to lock, I need to press the lock/power button about 8 times. The screen randomly goes black and then turns back on but isn't locked, even after it should have been locked. Half the time my home/back/search/menu buttons don't work either.
I've tried removing the battery...what else can I do?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
My phone won't turn off when I press the power button. I can remove the battery and it will power down, but as soon as I put the battery back in, it turns on by itself. It rarely locks, and in order to get it to lock, I need to press the lock/power button about 8 times. The screen randomly goes black and then turns back on but isn't locked, even after it should have been locked. Half the time my home/back/search/menu buttons don't work either.
I've tried removing the battery...what else can I do?

Can you check to see what apps are running in the background? It might be something that is keeping it up.

Allison Eastham

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Can you check to see what apps are running in the background? It might be something that is keeping it up.
I don't have any active applications right now, the only background apps I have running are ones that say if I stop them from running, some features of my phone may stop working until I turn it off and then turn it on again.
I could clear my RAM, would that work?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any active applications right now, the only background apps I have running are ones that say if I stop them from running, some features of my phone may stop working until I turn it off and then turn it on again.
I could clear my RAM, would that work?

You could do that, but it might not make a difference. It could just be a faulty power button. How frequently does it do this?

Allison Eastham

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
You could do that, but it might not make a difference. It could just be a faulty power button. How frequently does it do this?
It does it every now and again. I've had the phone for nearly two years now, but it usually only lasts a few minutes. So far it's lasted all of today.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
It does it every now and again. I've had the phone for nearly two years now, but it usually only lasts a few minutes. So far it's lasted all of today.

Hmmm, it's weird it turns on automatically even when you put the battery back in. You can leave this as a last resort, but maybe a factory reset could fix it? If that doesn't work, then something is faulty it seems.

Allison Eastham

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, it's weird it turns on automatically even when you put the battery back in. You can leave this as a last resort, but maybe a factory reset could fix it? If that doesn't work, then something is faulty it seems.
Thanks! I think I'll bring it in to a store tomorrow, see if they can do anything about it. It's getting kind of annoying.

Neil Anthony

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problems. My phone does not switch off and keeps turning back on after I power off. it's acting very weird indeed. I would be interested to know if it has fixed your problem permanently or has it come back?

James Rudoy

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Me, too. First it showed the green android robot image with text "Downloading...do not turn off target" for a very long time with no response from buttons. I contacted the Samsung real time text chat about that. Samsung was very generous with time on line with me, but no solution. I pulled the battery as I was told, but when the battery went back in either the OS would restart itself every time I ordered a shut down or, when it did shut down, it would continuously display the battery charging images until those displays exhausted the battery. Finally the Samsung tech told me to execute the device reset and I did but after reset the phone just continued to launch the OS every time I gave a shut down order and every time I pulled then replaced the battery.

I would not even have minded this always on if the battery would run the phone longer but with a battery as limp as in the S2, I have to have the charge conserved when I turn the phone off away from its charger.

James Rudoy

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I contacted my FreedomPop service provider who suggested a solution that worked for my phone:

1. Update profile and PRL at the system updates section of settings.
2. Go to the App Manager and do a Force Stop then Clear Data on the messaging app.
3. Re-enroll into the messaging app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34