Battery charging issues (fully powered battery shows 50%)

Machtyn

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
After reading some very interesting threads, it appears people here know what they are talking about. I'm hoping the community knowledge will assist me with my issue.

I have two Galaxy S2 (Sprint) phones. The first is charging fine. In fact, I use it to charge both batteries in this situation. Both batteries are good (does not bulge, etc). The second phone will not charge and drains the battery fairly quickly. When the good phone shows the battery is charged to 100%, I put it in the other phone and it shows about 50%. Any ideas?

More info:
The phone with the problem had charging issues. I opened it up and soldered the USB joints. With the magnifying piece I have, it does not appear to have any crossed solder points. Unfortunately, I have no strong magnifier (such as a nice USB microscope). With my multimeter, I can see that the + post at the battery connectors is pulling a proper 3.8V (Empire BLI-1248) or 4.0V (Anker 70SMI9000). Switching the batteries to the other phone shows the same results with the specific battery. The results match against my good phone. The middle post (temperature gauge, I think) shows a proper 60Hz, but 0.13V on the AC setting. My good phone shows 60Hz, but 0.03V. I'm assuming this is simply a result of operating temperatures.

Is my bad phone kaput or is it possible I still have a crossed line at my USB connection that I can't see? Or is there something else I need to check?

Side note: As I typed this post, I watched that supposedly 100% charged battery, that showed 50% on the bad phone, but it is charging and shows ~80% charged. Now, the good phone, when showing 100% charged while off, also shows 100% charged while on and discharges normally.

New info: The bad phone appeared to charge the second battery while it was turned off. I turned it on and left it plugged in the rest of the night. 7 hours later it dropped to 61%. It is also indicating voltage too high, which makes no sense since when I measured the voltage at the battery and at the USB V+ the voltage appeared correct.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12