Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SPH-D710 Stuck In Reboot; possible battery issue and/or wet phone

A little background: My carrier is Ting. I've never rooted the phone or done custom ROMs. Lately, my phone has been getting hot, shutting down, and the battery is wiped down to almost 0%. I don't know if that has anything to do with current situation, though, as another issue happened this weekend; my phone got a little damp when my shorts got wet while trying to get my boat out of the water. That's a whole 'nother story, but it didn't get soaked, just sat against some material, and it was still working when I finally pulled it out of my pocket and put it in a dry bag. Fast forward a couple hours to when I'm back home and all settled in. I see that my phone is now off, go to turn it on, the blue light blinks once, and nothing happens. Every time I hit the power button, the blue light blinks once and nothing else. So, I decided to put the phone and battery in some rice for a while. I then decided to charge the battery separate from the phone with this little battery charger thing that I have. It took forever for it to fully charge, but after that, the phone would come to the "Samsung Galaxy SII" screen, then reboot and keep coming back to that screen. After some initial research, I decided to load GB27 using ODIN ([ROM][ODIN][TAR]SPH-D710 GB27 (GB27 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Root/Stock) - xda-developers), thinking that a factory reset might help. The install was successful (Passed), but I'm still stuck in the reboot after reaching Samsung screen. I read somewhere about holding volume up + power to do a factory reset, but that doesn't do anything on my phone. I'm only able to do the volume down + power to get to the ODIN thing. Is my phone dead? Is my battery the problem? Is there anything else I can try? I'm not too worried about it, because I just ordered an S5 w/ Verizon, but I'd still like to get some photos and some stuff off of my notepad in there, if possible. Contacts are through google, so that's no problem. Oh, one other thing, if I try to charge battery in phone via the normal mini-USB route, it gets stuck on the image of the battery with the spinning arrow, but the arrow stops and it never gets to the normal next screen that shows how much battery power is left.

Thanks for any help.
    Brian

Default Re: SPH-D710 Stuck In Reboot; possible battery issue and/or wet phone

Welcome to Android Central! The phone getting hot, shutting down, and the battery dropping to zero really sound like a failing battery. Try a new one. A quick and dirty test is to remove your current battery, lay it flat on a table, and try to spin it. If it spins, it's bulging in the middle, which is a bad sign. But even if it doesn't spin, it's still worth trying a new one.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    31,319 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

I am inclined to agree about the battery. Try a new one, and see if it helps.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks, guys. I tried a new battery today, and it didn't change my current status of only reaching the Samsung screen. Is my phone done? Is there anyway to recover files from it? I read something about Recuva, but not too sure if that applies to my situation.

The only other thing I can think of right now is to remove the SD card and try again. If the SD card is corrupt, it could cause problems.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I've never had an SD card in it. Wish I did, though, so I could have saved some stuff to it!