Magnetic Resonance charging?

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Supposed to be out in September. Or you can hack the touchstone coil from a palm pre back into the GSIII back and use on a palm touchstone.

Reactions: wilder_jw

wilder_jw

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Supposed to be out in September. Or you can hack the touchstone coil from a palm pre back into the GSIII back and use on a palm touchstone.
I wish I could. If anybody ends up doing that reliably, my housemate and I would both pay a decent amount for the service.

splitsick

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe phone makers have left this out as an OEM standard. Magnetic Resonance charging is the feature I miss most from the Palm Pre, especially for use in the car.

In order to hack it on the SGS3 I believe you will have to run wires from the hacked on back to the charging ports. Its not the priettiest solution.

I plan to wait for a third party to make something work.

EDIT: Just discovered the solution previous posters mention to be released in September is from OEM Samsung. I applaud them, although from what I gather it will not be magnetic so will still not be useful in the car.

Does anyone know if the car dock will be wireless?

Last edited:

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
hmm. cool. was worried it would be one of those best buy items that has a little piece that plugs into the usb port.

Nope. Those two contacts inside the back of the phone next to the battery are the charging contacts. When Samsung releases it's kit there will be a replacement back for the phone with the charging coil inside that will make contact with those points.

Better explained here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/187287-touchstone-mod-s3.html

scobb

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Those two contacts inside the back of the phone next to the battery are the charging contacts. When Samsung releases it's kit there will be a replacement back for the phone with the charging coil inside that will make contact with those points.

Better explained here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/187287-touchstone-mod-s3.html

I'm slowly working on that. I have an extra back with extra strength magnets already mounted. It stays just fine on the touchstone - even in the car.

I'm waiting for a block of time to attach a Pixi coil. I think this hack may be preferable to the OEM solution. If they are using the QI scheme, it has to lay on a big mat. I love the way the Pre and the touchstone mounted.

BTW - just to be a word nerd - the term is inductive charging. Magnetic Resonance is a scheme to image soft tissue such as human brains. My avatar is an example.

SirCodyAtl

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm slowly working on that. I have an extra back with extra strength magnets already mounted. It stays just fine on the touchstone - even in the car.

I'm waiting for a block of time to attach a Pixi coil. I think this hack may be preferable to the OEM solution. If they are using the QI scheme, it has to lay on a big mat. I love the way the Pre and the touchstone mounted.

BTW - just to be a word nerd - the term is inductive charging. Magnetic Resonance is a scheme to image soft tissue such as human brains. My avatar is an example.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging is MRI......

Magnetic Resonance used in
Wireless Power Transmission
By: Joey Hambleton and Mandip Sibakoti
Advisor: Professor Derin Sherman.......This is... The most common form of wireless power transmission is carried out using direct induction followed by resonant magnetic induction. Other methods under consideration include electromagnetic radiation in the form of microwaves or lasers.

Palm TouchStone is Iductive Charging While the new Samsung charging will be done in the Resonance Form which means it can charge from a Distance, say your phone is in your pocket and the charger is buit into the chair etc, that you are sitting in....or built into console or door panel in your car....

SirCodyAtl

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe phone makers have left this out as an OEM standard. Magnetic Resonance charging is the feature I miss most from the Palm Pre, especially for use in the car.

In order to hack it on the SGS3 I believe you will have to run wires from the hacked on back to the charging ports. Its not the priettiest solution.

I plan to wait for a third party to make something work.

EDIT: Just discovered the solution previous posters mention to be released in September is from OEM Samsung. I applaud them, although from what I gather it will not be magnetic so will still not be useful in the car.

Magnetic Resonance Imaging is MRI......

Advisor: Professor Derin Sherman.......This is... The most common form of wireless power transmission is carried out using direct induction followed by resonant magnetic induction. Other methods under consideration include electromagnetic radiation in the form of microwaves or lasers.

Palm TouchStone is Iductive Charging While the new Samsung charging will be done in the Resonance Form which means it can charge from a Distance, say your phone is in your pocket and the charger is buit into the chair etc, that you are sitting in....or built into console or door panel in your car....

SirCodyAtl

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Magnetic Resonance Imaging is MRI......Medical