Type of memory card to buy for the S3

Dnomyar220

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Apologies if this info is in another thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm upgrading in 25 days to the S3 (Sprint), and was wondering what memory card I should get with it? I'm looking at probably the 32GB, as the best buy near me doesn't have 64GB cards in stock.

What I'm wondering is does it matter what "speed type" of card I get (not sure if that's the technical term). I know for digital cameras there are different speed classes, but does this matter much for a phone? They had a standard PNY 32gb card for $50 on sale, that seemed like a good deal...

Thanks for the help here!

Unfranchise33

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Amazon, sandisk mobile ultra 32 gb, selling right now for 35 bucks. Don't buy cheaper ones, you will regret it when they get corrupted.

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Swagged Out Stock ROM and Tapatalk.

Unfranchise33

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
And yes it does matter what speed type. But some manufactures lie about bring a class 10. Just go ultra and you are good.

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Swagged Out Stock ROM and Tapatalk.

Reactions: Dnomyar220

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks man, appreciate it. Trying to decide if I should up it to 64gb or not now :)

I bought the 64GB card when they were still over $100, and I still considering a great buy. I was able to put all of my music on the card, as well as a bunch of movies. Spend the extra $$ and get the 64GB.

wilder_jw

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a Sandisk 64GB Class 6 from Amazon for less than $70, and they sent me a Class 10. Bonus.

One thing to keep in mind is that apparently the phone will only allow loading of 32 GB. I loaded my 64 GB from Windows before inserting it into the phone, and it reads all 64 GB just fine. (The info about it not loading 64 GB is second-hand, BTW, so I can't vouch for the accuracy.)

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Bought my GS 3 from Radioshack last Thursday, they had the Sandisk ultra 32gb on sale for $24 bought it so far so good

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I ordered a Sandisk 64GB Class 6 from Amazon for less than $70, and they sent me a Class 10. Bonus.

One thing to keep in mind is that apparently the phone will only allow loading of 32 GB. I loaded my 64 GB from Windows before inserting it into the phone, and it reads all 64 GB just fine. (The info about it not loading 64 GB is second-hand, BTW, so I can't vouch for the accuracy.)

What does this mean, exactly? It can only load 32 GB. I don't understand....

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

I had the same question as you did since the Sandisk 64gb seems to be formatted differently than fat32. So I asked a friend that has that same card and he stated that he can see the 64gb (actually 59gb as there is some overhead) as one volume.

Dnomyar220

May 16, 2010
Visit site

64 works fine, just has to be formatted in a certain way... First time you put it in your phone just go to settings sd card format.

Sent from my S3 w/ Tapatalk

djdig

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
ScanDisk Ultra 32 GB Micro SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 with Adapter 25.99 from Amazon.com. I have never had any bad luck with ScanDisk products before whether it is a thumb drive or a micro sd.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
For best results, format the card on your computer to FAT32. Many come from the factory formatted to ex32. It only takes a few seconds to format the card, and there are methods to accomplish this available on Android Central's Help & How to section.

vesipyssy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Newest version of samsung S3 G4 software destroyed my samsung 32GB class 10 card!
I can't read it in phone or computer, if I but in the computer card reader, it does't recognise it, nothing happends.
Lost my half of year photos and videos, samsungs says "so what", I am not happy :'(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae