• 1 Post By wilder_jw
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Default Type of memory card to buy for the S3

Hey all,

Apologies if this info is in another thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm upgrading in 25 days to the S3 (Sprint), and was wondering what memory card I should get with it? I'm looking at probably the 32GB, as the best buy near me doesn't have 64GB cards in stock.

What I'm wondering is does it matter what "speed type" of card I get (not sure if that's the technical term). I know for digital cameras there are different speed classes, but does this matter much for a phone? They had a standard PNY 32gb card for $50 on sale, that seemed like a good deal...

Thanks for the help here!

Amazon, sandisk mobile ultra 32 gb, selling right now for 35 bucks. Don't buy cheaper ones, you will regret it when they get corrupted.

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Swagged Out Stock ROM and Tapatalk.
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

And yes it does matter what speed type. But some manufactures lie about bring a class 10. Just go ultra and you are good.

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Swagged Out Stock ROM and Tapatalk.
    Thanked by 2:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Default Re: Type of memory card to buy for the S3

Quote Originally Posted by Unfranchise33 View Post
    And yes it does matter what speed type. But some manufactures lie about bring a class 10. Just go ultra and you are good.
    Thanks man, appreciate it. Trying to decide if I should up it to 64gb or not now

Quote Originally Posted by Dnomyar220 View Post
    Thanks man, appreciate it. Trying to decide if I should up it to 64gb or not now
    I went for the first one on this list

Amazon.com: Used and New: SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC Card Plus Adapter (SDSDQUA-064G-U46A)

64gb class 10 for <$60
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Dnomyar220 View Post
    I bought the 64GB card when they were still over $100, and I still considering a great buy. I was able to put all of my music on the card, as well as a bunch of movies. Spend the extra $$ and get the 64GB.

I ordered a Sandisk 64GB Class 6 from Amazon for less than $70, and they sent me a Class 10. Bonus.

One thing to keep in mind is that apparently the phone will only allow loading of 32 GB. I loaded my 64 GB from Windows before inserting it into the phone, and it reads all 64 GB just fine. (The info about it not loading 64 GB is second-hand, BTW, so I can't vouch for the accuracy.)

Quote Originally Posted by hoovhartid View Post
    I went for the first one on this list

Amazon.com: Used and New: SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC Card Plus Adapter (SDSDQUA-064G-U46A)

64gb class 10 for <$60
    Great minds think alike I did same thing ordered the 64gb class 10
    should have it soon

Bought my GS 3 from Radioshack last Thursday, they had the Sandisk ultra 32gb on sale for $24 bought it so far so good

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wilder_jw View Post
    I ordered a Sandisk 64GB Class 6 from Amazon for less than $70, and they sent me a Class 10. Bonus.

One thing to keep in mind is that apparently the phone will only allow loading of 32 GB. I loaded my 64 GB from Windows before inserting it into the phone, and it reads all 64 GB just fine. (The info about it not loading 64 GB is second-hand, BTW, so I can't vouch for the accuracy.)
    What does this mean, exactly? It can only load 32 GB. I don't understand....

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by EVO_girl View Post

I had the same question as you did since the Sandisk 64gb seems to be formatted differently than fat32. So I asked a friend that has that same card and he stated that he can see the 64gb (actually 59gb as there is some overhead) as one volume.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Epic 4G (retired rooted backup)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)

For all mobile devices - get one!
    XDA kickstand4u tm Review

Oh my! I rooted my SGS3!
    Rock Solid and Perfect!

If I have helped you - visit my site - now that's a new one!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by EVO_girl View Post

64 works fine, just has to be formatted in a certain way... First time you put it in your phone just go to settings sd card format.

Sent from my S3 w/ Tapatalk

ScanDisk Ultra 32 GB Micro SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 with Adapter 25.99 from Amazon.com. I have never had any bad luck with ScanDisk products before whether it is a thumb drive or a micro sd.
    Sprint Galaxy S3 - SPH-L710
    JellyBomb ver. 8.0.0

www.djdig.com

Quote Originally Posted by djdig View Post
    ScanDisk Ultra 32 GB Micro SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 with Adapter 25.99 from Amazon.com. I have never had any bad luck with ScanDisk products before whether it is a thumb drive or a micro sd.
    What class is that card?

ScanDisk Ultra 32 GB Micro SDHC Class 10 UHS-1
    Sprint Galaxy S3 - SPH-L710
    JellyBomb ver. 8.0.0

www.djdig.com

For best results, format the card on your computer to FAT32. Many come from the factory formatted to ex32. It only takes a few seconds to format the card, and there are methods to accomplish this available on Android Central's Help & How to section.

Newest version of samsung S3 G4 software destroyed my samsung 32GB class 10 card!
    I can't read it in phone or computer, if I but in the computer card reader, it does't recognise it, nothing happends.
    Lost my half of year photos and videos, samsungs says "so what", I am not happy

I'm currently using a 16gb SanDisk.

Posted via Android Central App