Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ihbsbA
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    MIJJzGoodnessFD02/ Rouge

Default Be warned

Back when I had my S2 for Sprint, I got spare batteries for it. I, being a student, needed to save a few bucks so I bought from a 3rd party manufacturer. The Hyperion 1800 mAH batteries for Epic 4G Touch were amazing! They had the same performance as the battery that came with the phone, and for $20 you got 2 of them, and a wall charger for the batteries.

So I figured I'd go with them for spare batteries with my S3. BIG MISTAKE. I don't really care that NFC doesn't work with the Spare batteries, 'cause there is still really no use for NFC for my daily needs. Even with the savings ($14 for 2 2100 mAH batteries and wall charger), and the past excellent experience, these batteries just don't stack up against the battery that came with the phone.

I've been off the charger for almost 3 hours with the spare battery and I'm already down to 27% with these forums being the only activity active. Compared to the Samsung battery lasting almost 14 hours with music almost constantly playing, texting, games, and browsing.

So if you have an S2, Hyperion is a good alternative for spare batteries, but with this beautiful new S3, looks like Samsung is the way to go for spares.

Default Re: Be warned

I picked up 2 of the cheap ebay chinese batteries (2 batteries and a wall charger for $12). Got about 6-8 hours out of them for the couple of times I've had to use them so far

I'm not buying any knock off batteries anymore from China. My stock battery last me between 12 to 16 hours depending on how much I use them. I do have a spare oem battery that I bought, but don't really need it much. I am thinking about getting a battery case, but no cheap Ebay, China, Hong Kong batteries.

I use the Hyperions and have no issues personally with life of the battery...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

maybe u have a defective battery 0_o

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by naes View Post
    maybe u have a defective battery 0_o
    two of them?

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

I also purchased the cheapies because I had decent luck with them with my Epic 4G touch. No such luck on the sG3.... they don't have the NFC chip which made me irritated because I didn't know the chip was in the battery (ordered them long before I had the phone in hand) and the life is EASILY 20-25% less right off the charger. It's comical actually, how quick they drain. With an OEM battery I can stay at 100% for five or six minutes in the morning as I'm catching up with my email and notifications from the night. With the cheap batteries I drop to 96% as soon as I unplug. Lol.... so those batteries go in my car console as emergency power if I need it. I bought another OEM battery and just ordered the gorilla gadgets extended battery for $20 bucks! The second oem battery combined with my power bank can easily get me through a 16 hour high school band day when I'm in a borderline signal area using my camera, GPS, texting, calling etc...having the extended battery I'm sure I can offer my power bank to some sorry iUser who needs power

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

I have two seidio replacement batteries. One regular size, one king-sized. Both have nfc. And both were troopers (troupers?) on the 13 hour plane rides and while on the ground for a week. They last and last and are very slow to discharge.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I had the same problem with the batteries I got on ebay ( 2 for $20 and a charger ). I didn't mind too much, because I would only need the spares for a few hours until I got home. But the annoying part was, when I used the camera (and the flash), it would take the picture, flash, and the phone would go dark. I would have to take the battery out, put it back in for the phone to come on. And the picture never saved to the phone to boot.
    At first, it was only occasional, but there was 1 night it happened every time I took a picture. I was ready to throw the sammy out the window I was so pissed.
    I KNOW it was the fault of the battery, because it never happened with the OEM battery, and it hasn't happened since I got this new mega battery from gorilla gadget.

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dad2noah View Post
    I had the same problem with the batteries I got on ebay ( 2 for $20 and a charger ). I didn't mind too much, because I would only need the spares for a few hours until I got home. But the annoying part was, when I used the camera (and the flash), it would take the picture, flash, and the phone would go dark. I would have to take the battery out, put it back in for the phone to come on. And the picture never saved to the phone to boot.
    At first, it was only occasional, but there was 1 night it happened every time I took a picture. I was ready to throw the sammy out the window I was so pissed.
    I KNOW it was the fault of the battery, because it never happened with the OEM battery, and it hasn't happened since I got this new mega battery from gorilla gadget.
    Interesting... I have no idea how these two things would/could be related.

I have a Gorilla Gadgets extended (4500 mAh) battery w/NFC in my S3. Comes with a sleek back plate, in your choice of Blue, White, Black and Red. They're on sale from Gorilla Gadget's web site for $19.95. They also have the standard size battery w/NFC (2300 mAh) for $12.99. My experience with these batteries has been excellent. I'm averaging about 40 hours of use with the extended one, with heavy use and mostly on LTE (rarely use WiFi). The thing to remember with ANY battery is to condition it. Run it all the way down, then charge it for a couple of hours after it indicates it's fully charged. Repeat this a couple of times and you should be fine. I did this with all my batteries, standard and extended, and the performance is great. I also run it all the way down every couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Ntchwaidumela; 11-02-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added info

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Got mine today.... it's fat!!!

Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Which one? The Gorilla Gadgets one?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

Sprint Note 3
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
    Chromecast

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ntchwaidumela View Post
    Which one? The Gorilla Gadgets one?

Yes!

Great! Hope you like it.

Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

Sprint Note 3
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
    Chromecast