Using USB to car audio player (please read before replying)

djdig

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I know I will get a ton of answers that will look like this.

• Why not just use the 3.5 jack?
  • Why not use bluetooth?
  • Use an external SD and the SGS3 Easy UMS

That is just a few I know will be tossed out there, so please let me explain and reply if you can with any help, it will be greatly appreciated.

I was an Iphone user for 2 years and the idea of using the USB port on my Pioneer radio worked perfect for me, because of my drives back and forth to campus everyday. It charges my phone, gave me control of the radio controls and vice versa. For me it is the best case scenario and I have heard of people being able to pull it off with an app call AAlinq and Grom cable. I am wondering if anyone from this board can come up with any ideas or has any thought on a fix. I have also seen a trick that involves using the external SD and copy/paste from internal and it works. But I am looking for a way to use the internal SD, the supplied usb cable (if it requires an additional cable that is fine also) to install on my Pioneer car radio. I basically am looking for an Iphone mimic without dragging a ton of hardware into my vehicle every time I leave for school.

Once again I apologize for the stipulations I wrote above, I am not trying to troll you guys or be an ass, I have read to many threads about this topic that get off basis and it is not very helpful.

djdig

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I know the answer is probably no way it can be done due to the internal card being an MTP configuration and there is no way (for now) to have one location on that drive partitioned to UMS mass storage because of the way MTP combines everything together on the internal card. I do have a 32gb Class 10 Scandisk sd coming in this week and will use the alternate method from the xda site. I am just hoping that there is a slim chance some developer/user might see this and give an alternate way of doing it.

Thank you,

djdig

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay I read through all the scripts and the Easy UMS thread and the only thing that has worked for me is making a script that says. Now it changes over to UMS but shortly after the phone freezes and I have to reboot and once I do that it is no longer in UMS mode, anyone have any ideas on where to go from here? Not using any roms, phone is rooted, busybox, all the usual suspects installed. No version of easy UMS worked, it was always looking for s3c-usbgadget or /lun that I did not have.

echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/enable
umount /mnt/extSdCard/
echo "mass_storage,adb" > /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions
echo "/dev/block/vold/179:97" > /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/f_mass_storage/lun/file
echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/enable

woodslink

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The Google Play app named SoundAbout has a media audio setting for Aux Digital. If you car supports USB audio, it should work.

djdig

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just posting my fix to my previous post after playing around with it for so long.

Sprint Galaxy S3 - SPH-L710 (rooted, stock rom)
Android Version: 4.1.1

Used Rom Toolbox and loaded these 2 scripts.

Mass Storage.sh

umount /mnt/extSdCard/
echo "mass_storage,adb" > /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions
echo "/dev/block/vold/179:97" > /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/f_mass_storage/lun/file

MTP.sh

echo "" > /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/f_mass_storage/lun/file
echo "mtp,acm,adb" > /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions
vold

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I want it to act as a usb mass storage device so my receiver will pick it up and I can just use the external SD as USB

That's pretty much the norm for Infotainment systems in cars today if usb from device is used as player or are talking something else?

Gary Wirdnam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, an iPhone user for years I liked that I could just plug it into the car, charge it and listen to all my music at the same time - without having to perform lots of button pressing first. So if I get this right, you have this problem solved? As a total newbie to Android I would appreciate some help with doing the same.

Thanks,
G

jpulverjr

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I competed the steps as you suggested in this forum and my car stereo keeps reading "Error". It recognizes there is a device, it says "read" then communicated an "error" message. Would there be a difference in the script from you phone to mine? I have an SGH-i747 through AT&T.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12