Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Headphones / Earbuds for Galaxy S3

Hello, I just made the switch from an iPhone to a Galaxy S3. I'm loving my phone so far, but I'm stressed out about the head phone options. I have 2 issues:

1. I have small ears and the stock headphones that came with my S3 hurt my ears (the way they stick all the way in). In addition, they tend to fall out when exercising. The apple ear buds sounded fine to me and the ear buds fit mostly comfortably in my ear. I would prefer a similar style if something is available.
    2. I really would like inline controls. I'm reading that volume controls may not be available. I might be able to deal with that if I could get something that would allow me to at least play/pause music and answer/end calls...

Any recommendations? I don't need awesome sound quality, but something better than what I got with the stock headphones would be nice.

Thanks!

ROM
    MOAR 9

Default Re: Headphones / Earbuds for Galaxy S3

Why don't you use your ear buds?
    HTC One (M8) Stock For Now.
    David
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Are you talking about the ones that came with the Galaxy S3? If so, it's because they really hurt my ears. In addition, they just don't stay in, They will pop out at the slightest tug of the cord. It's frustrating when I'm at the gym.

ROM
    MOAR 9

I was referring to your Apple Ear Buds, you can use them or any brand that has 3 rings on the plug if you use them for calls, I use my old Sony ear buds, they have 2 rings on the plug so there isn't a microphone, but they work fine for listening to music. You aren't trapped because it is a Samsung, you said you liked the Apple ones you have. Me, I can't stand Apple ear buds, they are tinny sounding and don't block out noise in my ears. On any jack (plug or however it is referred) there are rings on them, 1 ring is mono, 2 is stereo and 3 is for a built in mic. Hope that helps you choose.
    David

Yeah, just use the Apple earphones. If not you can buy cheap ones for $15- if you don't have the Apple ones anymore. If you want some that sound nice they'll cost more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Malinda Bills View Post
    Hello, I just made the switch from an iPhone to a Galaxy S3. I'm loving my phone so far, but I'm stressed out about the head phone options. I have 2 issues:

1. I have small ears and the stock headphones that came with my S3 hurt my ears (the way they stick all the way in). In addition, they tend to fall out when exercising. The apple ear buds sounded fine to me and the ear buds fit mostly comfortably in my ear. I would prefer a similar style if something is available.
    2. I really would like inline controls. I'm reading that volume controls may not be available. I might be able to deal with that if I could get something that would allow me to at least play/pause music and answer/end calls...

Any recommendations? I don't need awesome sound quality, but something better than what I got with the stock headphones would be nice.

Thanks!
    I use JVC Riptidz for everyday/gym use. Very light and super super comfortable and sound GREAT!! Best budget earphones you'll find! No inline controls though....don't need them for gym use anyway.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

iphone headsets are not compatible with the galaxy s3. The jack doesn't even fit. Also I have been reading that the Ohms on the iphone headset as well as the polarity of the ground are also different, so in fact iphone headsets will only work on iphones.

I can not believe Samsung got headsets all wrong. who the hell designed those aweful earbuds? They are terrible! They cause me pain too, I can't even wear ear plugs. And that's what they are - earplugs with sounds being piped through them. Much hatred here for samsung's earbuds. Grr.

ROM
    MOAR 9

Quote Originally Posted by xucaen View Post
    iphone headsets are not compatible with the galaxy s3. The jack doesn't even fit. Also I have been reading that the Ohms on the iphone headset as well as the polarity of the ground are also different, so in fact iphone headsets will only work on iphones.
    iPhone earbuds will work, the jack is 3.5mm, just like the S3. When my daughter had an iPod Touch (that uses the same earbuds as the iPhone) I bought her Sony earbuds that plugged right in and worked. The same earbuds she is now using with her G3. The only phone I ever had that was different was an LG EnV3, it had a 2.5mm jack, nothing worked. Where did you get your information from? Here is Apple's own spec:

David

Apple earbuds will work for sound, but the controls won't work properly. Apple (of course) couldn't follow the industry standard for what signals go to which connectors on the plug. The introduced their own pinout, and patented it so they could charge royalties to accessory manufacturers.

The stock S3 headphones that I got have 3 or 4 different size ear fittings in a little bag. Two of them are smaller than the default tips. Have you tried changing the tips to a smaller size?

Any 3.5mm earphones will work for sound. For the mic and remote controls, any set made for a non-Apple device should work. I can't tell you which ones might have smaller tips than the OEM ones, though.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

When I got online a few minutes ago and joined this forum, I was surprised so many of you hate the earbuds that came stock with the gs3. I have spotify and I listen to music a lot. When I listen through these headphones it is so crystal clear I was extremely surprised the sound was that good from stock phone headphones. When I read all the negative reviews, most of which are complaints about the fit, not the sound, I thought maybe I mixed up these earbuds with the ones that came with a Pantech phone right before getting this phone as a gift. I really want to find out why my experience is so good and so many of you have very different experiences. AJ

ROM
    MOAR 9

? Only 2 people were complaining about the Samsung ear buds. They are OK, sound and fit is good, but they don't block out much noise. No complaints though, just responding to the OP that likes Apple's.
    David

ROM
    CM7

I love my S3 ear buds, they fit me perfectly and the sound is way above par in my opinion, now to work out they might not be the best for some people and i see why.
    Just go to Amazon and do a search and you will find something you'll like.

Zuz
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

I recently switched the S3 (about a month ago) and I still use my iphone headphones for music, however when someone calls me, hey can hear me but I cannot hear anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? I'm trying to find headphones ideally comparable to the apple earbuds, but most importantly I would love a pair of headphones that aren't in-ear buds with mic and volume controls. Honestly any suggestions of some good brands would be greatly appreciated. I really need your help on this one guys!!! LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeJ View Post
    I recently switched the S3 (about a month ago) and I still use my iphone headphones for music, however when someone calls me, hey can hear me but I cannot hear anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? I'm trying to find headphones ideally comparable to the apple earbuds, but most importantly I would love a pair of headphones that aren't in-ear buds with mic and volume controls. Honestly any suggestions of some good brands would be greatly appreciated. I really need your help on this one guys!!! LMAO
    Also before you guys ask yes, I've tried ALL the different ear bud tips that came with the S3 and to no avail. They cause my ears a TON of discomfort. I don't wanna sound like a baby but I've literally tried everything. I even resorted to googling the proper way to wear earbuds because I thought to myself that maybe I'm putting them in my ears wrong

deleted
    Last edited by raymb1; 02-26-2013 at 08:23 PM.

I find the only way I can wear Samsung's ear buds comfortably is without any of the covers on at all. They are all too big for my ear canals and hurt my ears.

I've never found a pair of ear buds that work for me. They either hurt or fall out or both. I didn't remember getting any when we got our phones. My partner took them out knowing I wouldn't want them.

I'm trying them now and like them. What freaked me out, though, is apparently the phone knew I had plugged in the Samsung buds because a page popped up and started playing a random album which happened to be a meditation one of someone speaking. I must have jumped several inches out of my seat.

So far, the stock padding is not quite right so I'll try the others.

I normally use a folding Sony noise-cancelling headset. They've lasted forever but even though they fold and store in their own bag, they're still bulky.

Apple ear buds sound tinny compared to the Samsung buds. More body and depth with the Samsung buds. Later, Ray

ROM
    MOAR 9

I just got a new set of earbuds for just listening to music, they also make a pair with a mic for $20 more, and I love them. I used them today driving my Zero Turn Lawnmower around and I barely had to turn up the volume to hear what I was listening to, unlike the Sony pair I had before I couldn't use while cutting the grass because they didn't block out enough noise to hear them. They have plenty of bass. Not bad for 20 bucks.
    David
    Thanked by:

Hey, I absolutely love the samsung earphones, they actually have superior sound quality, but what i realised was that the actual buds you have on the earphone make a hell of a difference. I used the standard ones that come with it and i got a very flat sound (not to mention an uncomfortable experience). But later i switch the buds to some spare ones that came with a pair of my zagg smartBuds (worth checking out too), and i got an epic amount of bass combined with a crystal clear mid sound as well. So essentially dont give up on these earphones, simply invest in some decent buds, or even reuse ones from past good earphones

I use APPLE earbuds with my Galaxy S3. I agree the earbuds that came with the Galaxy S3 are terrible.

Gcaver2

I recently upgraded to a Galaxy S3 on At&t and I am extremely disappointed to see that my apple earbuds (iPhone version with mic) do not work as a headset but only as regular headphones. If I try making a call with them plugged in it disconnects the headphones altogether and even when the call ends it acts as if they're not plugged in. My last phone was an HTC Inspire 4G (same as the Desire HD) and the apple buds worked perfectly as a headset on that device. Why would they work fine on my old device but not the new one? Is it a software restriction or is it internal hardware? I am thinking about rooting the phone if it's in software. Why the hell would Samsung purposefully do this?

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeJ View Post
    Also before you guys ask yes, I've tried ALL the different ear bud tips that came with the S3 and to no avail. They cause my ears a TON of discomfort. I don't wanna sound like a baby but I've literally tried everything. I even resorted to googling the proper way to wear earbuds because I thought to myself that maybe I'm putting them in my ears wrong
    I use the iphone earpods that came with the ipod touch and the iphone 5 because I have the same issue with tiny ear canals. They work fine with my Galaxy S3.

Gcaver2