How to Turn Off Your Shutter Sound In 2 Minutes

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You're my hero.... Now to reinstall Jelly Bean when I get home... As I had bricked my phone here at work but thankfully had backed up the phone before Installing Jelly Bean Leak....

I am reading bricked way to often. Bricked is a phone that can't be recovered by any method.

elmoglick

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
NOTE: This DOES work! However, ES File Explorer changes the permissions - Make it rw-r-r, reboot, and the shutter sound menu will magically appear and work just fine.

gustaf

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
the <CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>

set to true actually works for me at least, it just only works for the camera not the video camera. I like that better cause it gives my the ability to put the sound back on easily if i want.

gustaf

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
yes, only for the camera not video, if you follow the process from the first post by skunkape, it allows you to get the option to turn the shutter sound on and off, once you go into the settings its between gps tag and image quality.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
All i did was open camera, clicked settings, and changed shutter sound to off.

No root required

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
All i did was open camera, clicked settings, and changed shutter sound to off.

No root required

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

You are on T Mobile. People need to remember when visiting other carrier forums that their phones are NOT the same. Sprint GS3 have this feature BLOCKED. Your phone must be rooted to turn off shutter sounds on the SPRINT GS3.

anon(848791)

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
OK... Now I have something that does work. Here's how to shut off them camera sounds. This time I verified it works before posting. :D

system / media / audio / UI
Scroll down until you see Shutter.ogg and Shutter_multiple.ogg. To the end of both of those file names add .bak
So it will look like this:

Shutter.ogg.bak
Shutter_multiple.ogg.bak

You will (of course) need to be rooted and have read/write enabled and restart your phone. Then those pesky shutter sounds will be gone for good.

Thanks should go to drawde40599

i just deleted the files, and no more sound.

anon(848791)

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Just like it's supposed to. ;)

there is also this:

Edit the following line:

<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>

To look like this:

<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>true</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>

So now we will save these files and replace them with the originals.

Reboot and enjoy the ability to turn off the shutter sound when you please, and re enable it when you please as well!

[Mod] Enable Shutter Sound Option [How To] JellyBean ;P - xda-developers

Expydude

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
The stock "My Files" app will NOT work fo this. Download Es File Explorer File Manager from the playstore (it is free and will serve our purposes.) Do NOT try to install ES File Explorer (1.5 Cupcake).

After installing from the market open es file explorer and say yes to the version 1.6.1.6 splash screen and push the menu button, now press settings(you will see a little gear icon). Now that your in the settings, scroll to the bottom and check the box "Root Explorer" It will give you a silly warning about SU Request ignore the warning and press the "Yes" Button. If you are properly rooted a Superuser Request button should come up. choose "Allow". Now check the box "Mount File System" You are now setup to read and write from es file explorer.

Press your back button (Once) to exit the settings menu. In the top left of your screen you will see a star and favorites. press that button. In the favorites menu you will see a phone icon. push the "Phone Icon"

Scroll down to the system folder and press on it.
Find the "Media Folder" and press on it.
Find the "Audio Folder" and press on it.
Find the "UI Folder" and press on it.
Scroll down to the "Shutter.ogg file". Press and Hold until the menu shows up and choose rename. Rename file to Shutter.ogg.bak by adding .bak to the end. Click ok when done.
Find "Shutter _multiple.ogg" Complete the same steps as you previously did with Shutter.ogg.

Back out of the ES File explorer app and reboot your phone and enjoy your silent shutter.

I used this method on rooted att s3 running cm 10 since it doesnt have the option in the camera settings. Seemed to have worked. The file name was camere_click. oog instead of shutter.ogg

my awesome nexus 7

Thrillhouse617

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
changing features.xml didn't work for me initially. I did manage to get most of the sounds out by renaming the .off files but for some reason the zoom remained. this was after rename and rebooting.

what I did just find was the features.xml had wrong permissions. once set to rw-r-r I had the option in camera settings

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok...so, I just got myself rooted. I even installed Titanium Backup to verify. I can't find any of these files. I am using Astro and ES file managers, too. Am I doing something wrong?

Hubb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have set up ES File Explorer and renamed the Audio file to "Shutter.ogg.bak "

it perfectly takes away the shutter sound....

however I would also like to try the option of the adding the toggle to the menu and have the otion to turn off and on. I have made the change to <CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu> in ES File Explorer to "true" but to do not get the option in the drop down. I have checked and double checked and rebooted. did I miss something?

Thrillhouse617

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have set up ES File Explorer and renamed the Audio file to "Shutter.ogg.bak "

it perfectly takes away the shutter sound....

however I would also like to try the option of the adding the toggle to the menu and have the otion to turn off and on. I have made the change to <CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu> in ES File Explorer to "true" but to do not get the option in the drop down. I have checked and double checked and rebooted. did I miss something?

see my post about changing permissions of the file

changing features.xml didn't work for me initially. I did manage to get most of the sounds out by renaming the .off files but for some reason the zoom remained. this was after rename and rebooting.

what I did just find was the features.xml had wrong permissions. once set to rw-r-r I had the option in camera settings

Hubb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
see my post about changing permissions of the file
Thank you, I had to read and tripple read that until it sank in. I would not have figured that out without your tip.

I have removed the .bak from" Shuter.ogg" after changing the permissions of the features.xml in ES File Explorer and now I have the option in the dropdown menu to toggle shutter sound on and off. It works perfectly and I have toggled and re-booted multiple times to verify.

adding the .bak to "Shutter.ogg" was a fine mod and I would have went with that, but it is nice to have the option to toggle the sound on and off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith