[UPDATED 12/30/2012][Sprint Only]UnRoot and Return to stock

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reason a little. I think I might be ready to join the party (the party of rooters) noob status. :)

Coorsleftfield

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: UnRoot and Return to stock

I'm returning to stock from freeGS 0.0.8 because I can no longer send text messages. Your return to stock works great.. thanks.. I have to take the phone into the sprint store.. The texting issue is still there even with the stock ROM, so it wasn't an issue with freeGS.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm returning to stock from freeGS 0.0.8 because I can no longer send text messages. Your return to stock works great.. thanks.. I have to take the phone into the sprint store.. The texting issue is still there even with the stock ROM, so it wasn't an issue with freeGS.

Could be as simple as network issues.

dabopps

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

ok so ive done everything, but i cant get to stock recovery. please help! and the one time i got a prompt for OTA update it didnt work, said something like google.apps failed.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Did you return to stock? Turn phone off. Press and hold volume UP, home and power at the same time. As soon as you see your screen come on (Samsung screen), let go of all buttons. Wait, it should go into recovery.

tdogg0413

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Hi, thanks for the info. I ran ODIN, it said Passed, but I'm stuck at the SAMSUNG logo, slowly blinking. I've tried pulling the battery for a reboot, but no luck, gets to the same part and sits there. I am back on the stock recovery. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the info. I ran ODIN, it said Passed, but I'm stuck at the SAMSUNG logo, slowly blinking. I've tried pulling the battery for a reboot, but no luck, gets to the same part and sits there. I am back on the stock recovery. Any suggestions?

Thanks

How long are you letting it sit at samsung? Ive seen it take as long as 7 minutes on first boot.

It's a large file. Perhaps it was a bad download. Try downloading again and try again.

rwenterprises

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Sprint Only]UnRoot and Return to stock

I could use some help here please. I followed these steps to the letter and got the desired results however, when the phone leaves download mode and starts to reboot, I removed the usb cord as instructed and watched as the phone rebooted to the Sprint stock splash screen (good) and onto the Samsung Galaxy S III screen (good) and finally, to the "SAMSUNG" boot screen and there it sits indefinitely (bad!). Can you offer any assistance please? I've repeated the entire process twice with the exact same results.

---------- Post Merged at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:33 AM ----------

I didn't see the post from tdogg0413 addressing the same issue (sorry). That's what's happening to me. I've let it sit more than 7 minutes or so and it's still in the same spot. I'll wait a bit longer and if no change, I'll unfortunately have to re-download as you suggested and try again. That's a shame, it's a huge file and I must go elsewhere to download it due to very slow connection here at my home. Thanks for the input.

rwenterprises

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Update: I was able to correct this issue by performing a battery pull while stuck in the Samsung boot screen, entering the stock recovery mode (instructions below found after some research) and performing a factory reset. Works like a charm now!

If stuck at the booting animation/Samsung logo, perform the following steps to make it boot. Remember that these steps will wipe your personal data like contacts, apps, messages, etc
Boot to recovery mode — for which, first power off phone (by removing battery and reinserting it), wait for 5-6 seconds, and then press and hold Home + Volume Up + Power keys together till the screen turns on, then let them go to boot into recovery. Once you are in recovery mode, use volume keys to move the selection up and down and home/power key to select the option.
Go to Wipe data/Factory Reset and select it. Select Yes on next screen.
Then, select reboot system now to reboot the phone, which will now boot properly.

Last edited:

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Ok, after another several hours of re-download, I've retried the process again and I have the same issue, I'm stuck on the "Samsung" boot screen that appears immediately after the stock "Sprint" splash screen for 17 minutes and counting. Could this be a simple issue of a bad boot.img? And if so, do you think flashing a new boot.img separately would do the trick? And if so (sorry to be a pain but I've got to get this working) how do I go about flashing a new boot.img on the GS3 (same as my Evo LTE by using adb?) Please help fast...thanks!

I remember having this issue before when trying to download the file and install. Honestly, the thing that fixed my issue was to download the file from another location on a fast connection. I'm pretty sure SA updated the links here to the ones that I downloaded though, so you may need to download again...

Do you have a nandroid backup of your phone from any point? Have you tried just putting cwm on and uploading a previous version?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

I have some good news and bad news... Tonight i will be updating this thread with a much easier method to return to unrooted stock with stock recovery. No longer will it require Odin to do this. In essence all you will have to do is flash a rom in custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) and you will be back to unrooted stock LI3. This flash will remove superuser, busy box and install stock recovery.

Bad news is I didn't find this in time for you.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: [UPDATED][Sprint Only]UnRoot and Return to stock

Update please see op for new return to stock unrooted...

Last edited:

Mathi

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

Sorry Hiero for bothering you,, I have been a bit desperate like you were a little time ago upon no getting your phone to boot ( I think you had a SGS3).. I was seeing some posts related to it in other forum... I saw you used the " uncle" software to fix the problem,,, and you had a limitation of using the sd card and stuff like that..... My case is similar, I was trying to get S voice installed into my SGS2 LTE and made some changes in the system files ( build.prop) and something ended up wrong... Now I?d just like to get my phone back on again... Could you kindly help me out in that?? Thank you so much in advance!!

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Hey mathi I'm a bit confused. Unless you're running an sgs3, I can't really help with that stock image. Do you have cwm recovery installed? And are you able to get Odin to recognize your phone? if so then you should be in a good position to recover...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

Hey mathi I'm a bit confused. Unless you're running an sgs3, I can't really help with that stock image. Do you have cwm recovery installed? And are you able to get Odin to recognize your phone? if so then you should be in a good position to recover...

While the 2 phones are called galaxy the software is different. Especially the partition structure.

Mathi

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

Exactly that,, Even though mine is SGS2 I can SEE Odin mode running when I press both power and audio button. Sorry I a bit new on those matters, I dont know what cwm means.. How does this Odin recognition occur?? Thanks u so much for the attention

Mathi

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

So, but How do u think can I get it back to work Skunkape?? Could u give me a hint??

---------- Post Merged at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:24 PM ----------

My phone has superuser but not CWM.. and was rooted..