Help my Sprint Galaxy S3 is completely DEAD after flashing new ROM!!!

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok I just got a SGS3 couple days ago after ditching iOS for Android, i am a complete noob when it comes to android. I have been using jailbroken iphone since 2007 so I know the first thing to do was to root my S3 and I did and it all went great, then I found out about ROMs and thats when things turned pretty bad. I had Rom Manager installed and about 5 different ROMs i could swicth to back and forth. I downloaded OMEGA INTERNATIONAL ROM (one of the biggest mistake i ever made, did I mention I have a Sprint S3) I installed that ROM since then my phone is bricked, I ordered a USB JIG and i am expecting it today with my fingers crossed that its going to work. Ok that is the story, please help.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
tell me you saved a factory image. can you still get into clockwork?
theres a good chance it can be fixed but id try one of the more technical forums.
dont give up hope mate but remember the guarantee is void.
if you fix it... READ UP on what rom you flash in future lol.
p.s, i read that rom manager is bad for the s3?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a ton guys for the help I really appreciate it. I am a complete noob when it comes to android.
No I can not get in to Download/Recovery mode my screen is completely dark as if no power at all. No I dont have a factory image, I had a factory image backed up on the phone in ROM manager but at this point I think its gone. Good news is: now i can see it in ODIN after installing a driver for the QHSUSB-LOAD device in device manager but i still can not see it in kies and i still cant get in download mode.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok I just got a SGS3 couple days ago after ditching iOS for Android, i am a complete noob when it comes to android. I have been using jailbroken iphone since 2007 so I know the first thing to do was to root my S3 and I did and it all went great, then I found out about ROMs and thats when things turned pretty bad. I had Rom Manager installed and about 5 different ROMs i could swicth to back and forth. I downloaded OMEGA INTERNATIONAL ROM (one of the biggest mistake i ever made, did I mention I have a Sprint S3) I installed that ROM since then my phone is bricked, I ordered a USB JIG and i am expecting it today with my fingers crossed that its going to work. Ok that is the story, please help.

Well sorry to say that you had to find out the hard way.... Jail breaking an Iphone is not like rooting a android. Did you do any research in it before you did this or did you do it blindly?

Sent from DROID RAZR MAXX

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I read someone got into download mode by removing the battery for approx 2 minutes, replacing it and then immediatley going into download mode.
Here is a thread from XDA on how to fix your problem: [HOW TO] Unbrick your Sprint phone from flashing an International gsm boot image - xda-developers

Thanks but I ve already try that with no success. The problem is, i cant get to dl mode so i can not send anything to the phone, I ordered a usb jig I hope it works.

---------- Post Merged at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:32 AM ----------

Well sorry to say that you had to find out the hard way.... Jail breaking an Iphone is not like rooting a android. Did you do any research in it before you did this or did you do it blindly?

Sent from DROID RAZR MAXX
Yep i did it blindly because i am new to ROMs and i was trying all of them to find a favorite one, i was really enjoying MIUI Rom though.:'(

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
gotta say im glad everyone has kept the anti-apple crap out of this and tried to help :)
what is a "jig" btw? ive read folk talkin bout them before..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Mad_Dawg_

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things to add:

Was the battery completely changed when you flashed the ROM?

I have helped a few people who thought their phone was bricked because it wouldn't turn on. Turned out, the battery wasn't fully charged when they flashed the new ROM thought the battery was dead. Plugging into the charger for an hour worked in most cases.

Secondly, I have had a few instances where holding power, volume down and home simultaneously wouldn't let the phone go into download mode. I have found the if you press all 3 buttons until the phone vibrates, then release the power button but continue to press home and volume down, it will enable download mode.

I am guessing you have some sort of custom recovery, like CWM or TWRP? Will it boot into recovery?

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
... And this is why I'm scared to death of rooting/flashing custom roms, being so new to android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things to add:

Was the battery completely changed when you flashed the ROM?

I have helped a few people who thought their phone was bricked because it wouldn't turn on. Turned out, the battery wasn't fully charged when they flashed the new ROM thought the battery was dead. Plugging into the charger for an hour worked in most cases.

Secondly, I have had a few instances where holding power, volume down and home simultaneously wouldn't let the phone go into download mode. I have found the if you press all 3 buttons until the phone vibrates, then release the power button but continue to press home and volume down, it will enable download mode.

I am guessing you have some sort of custom recovery, like CWM or TWRP? Will it boot into recovery?

Nope no signs of life from it and im sure its fully charged.

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been in a similar situation with, ironically enough, an iPhone. I sure hope the jig works but I got to the point that while I could see the phone using umbrella? recovery I simply could not load anything onto the phone. I went so far as to open it up and swap a fully charged battery in as well. I realize that a GS3 and an iPhone aren't the same but it was a similar situation. Unfortunately I had to use Apple out of warranty replacement, $150 later and I had a new-refurb iPhone.

Of course that's all moot now that I have a GS3!

Mad_Dawg_

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Nope no signs of life from it and im sure its fully charged.

Not saying your wrong, but others were "sure" too.

Plug it in for an hour and let it charge. Then disconnect the charger, pull the battery, reinstall and give it a try.

You don't have much to lose at this point, but IF you can get it into download mode, it will take about 10 minutes to fix it.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
... And this is why I'm scared to death of rooting/flashing custom roms, being so new to android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

just read a lot of reviews of the rom youre flashing and ALWAYS CHECK "CHECKSUMS"!!!!!
:)
...having said that, this is the only android i havent rooted/flashed ... yet ;)