Trying to install CM10 M1 ROM, almost bricked my phone....

asscancer

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
So it was stuck on the cyanogen mod thing for like 15 mins luckily I made a backup of my stock rom and now everything is cool.

I tried to install it through wmrecovery (cyanogen mod), which is the correct thing to do right?

i put the zip file into the root of the sd card and then selected it through wmrecovery, and it seemed to install fine but like i said it rebooted and kept at the cyanogen mod screen forever. Did I do something wrong?

I'm kinda new to all this stuff.

asscancer

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Well I reverted back to my backup again after almost bricking my phone...again. Now my Kernel is something that wasn't there before I tried all this stuff. I don't know what a Kernel is or if it's important but maybe the Sprint people won't notice it if i ever need to take it back for repairs.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I reverted back to my backup again after almost bricking my phone...again. Now my Kernel is something that wasn't there before I tried all this stuff. I don't know what a Kernel is or if it's important but maybe the Sprint people won't notice it if i ever need to take it back for repairs.

If you restored your backup the kernel was also restored.

asscancer

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Phone won't boot, just keeps at teh Cyanogen Mod screen. Wish there was a working Jelly Bean ROM for the Sprint GS3. Back to unrooted stock Samsung firmware.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you wipe your dalvic cache and do a system wipe? If you didn't thats a big cause of boot looping but if you did that then idk just some advice

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

asscancer

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
By the way, when recovering the phone, do I have to wipe data from the internal SD card?

I honestly don't know how I've managed to not brick my phone, I'm kinda just installing and re-installing backups at random when shizzle doesn't work.

---------- Post Merged at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Did you wipe your dalvic cache and do a system wipe? If you didn't thats a big cause of boot looping but if you did that then idk just some advice

No I didn't. :'( Didn't want to lose my apps. Guess I'll recover my phone and wipe ERRYTHING this time.

---------- Post Merged at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Actually, that's a dumb question. If I were to wipe everything, wouldn't my backup be wiped too? I did backup my backup to my desktop but still, it'd be nice to know if I have to wipe everything since I dunno if installing a backup would conflict with the current ROM (Cyanogen) and brick my phone.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
By the way, when recovering the phone, do I have to wipe data from the internal SD card?

I honestly don't know how I've managed to not brick my phone, I'm kinda just installing and re-installing backups at random when shizzle doesn't work.

---------- Post Merged at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:08 PM ----------

No I didn't. :'( Didn't want to lose my apps. Guess I'll recover my phone and wipe ERRYTHING this time.

---------- Post Merged at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Actually, that's a dumb question. If I were to wipe everything, wouldn't my backup be wiped too? I did backup my backup to my desktop but still, it'd be nice to if I have to wipe everything since I dunno if installing a backup would conflict with the current ROM (Cyanogen) and brick my phone.

Wipe data, wipe cache partition, wipe dalvik. That's it. Don't ever need to wipe sd.

Mad_Dawg_

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
There are only 3 things you need to wipe when going to a custom ROM.

1) factory reset / wipe data
2) wipe cache partition
3) wipe Dalvik cache

THEN flash custom ROM.

Once you complete the activation upon reboot, your contacts will be restored.

You can back up your apps prior to flashing by using Titanium Backup. Back up apps ONLY! Never restore system data into a new ROM.

Everything will remain on your internal storage card during a flash.
Only when using Odin to restore stock files will it wipe the internal storage clean.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Dear god never wipe the SD card factory rest never effects the SD and yes try titanium backup you can do a batch file and back up everything *warning do not attempt to reinstall system apps from a nother from you will have big issues* also if it do sent have a gapps (Google apps play store talk ecedre) package installed research the ones for your phone

asscancer

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Hokay. Now something really is wrong with my phone. Ever since last Friday, when I first started flashing ROMs and whatnot, my phone has been tin' the bed. A quick Google reveals plenty of other people have the same problem as me, but there seems to be no solution. For no reason the phone randomly loses Data connection and it takes a long friggin time to re-establish a connection. I've tried un-rooting and doing a recovery to unrooted stock, with no luck.

Tomorrow morning I will try to flash ROM stock that I found here. I really hopes this works.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
First do this to reset your flash counts so when you take your phone back to Sprint they won't know you were monkeying around with what you shouldn't be. And yes I do believe you will be taking your phone back as I don't think returning your phone to stock will make you happy. I think you are just in an area that is having data issues. It happens.

[NOTE]Always check your current count state in download mode prior to using triangle away. If what Triangle Away and what is shown in download mode doesn't match, do not proceed.[/NOTE]

You will be will be resetting your phone with an app called triangle away, which has just been updated to support all US versions of the GS3. Click on the link below to download triangle away.

Click here To download Triangle Away
Please thank Chainfiire for developing this great app.

Installation instructions and how to use it are in QBKING77's Video Below.

After you have performed the steps above. You are ready to return to stock. The following method will return you to stock much easier than the way you linked.

Go into Recovery and wipe cache, dalvik. Then just flash this rom in custom recovery and it removes root (superuser), busy box and custom recovery. Nothing could be easier. If your phone gets stuck and won't boot. Boot into Factory recovery (yes CWM will be gone) and factory reset your phone in stock recovery. Then you will be back to 100% stock fully updated phone.

Easy Return To Stock

Or if you want to use Odin, Below is the same EXACT method used in galaxys3root.com

Here's a one file one flash method to return to stock. This will return you phone to a

stock unrooted state without removing your apps or data. While you will need your drivers

and Odin desktop loaded, you will only be flashing a single file to your phone.

Drivers
Your Samsung Drivers MUST be installed correctly on your computer prior to continuing. You can install them by installing keis. Intalling Kies or Just the drivers alone Either way wait until the software installs completely before plugging your device into the computer. When you have completed driver installation, plug in your device. The computer should now tell you it is installing drivers click on the details and wait until there is a green check by all the drivers. Unplugging your device before it's complete will cause you problems.

Preparing Your Computer
You will need to download the following files to your desktop or notebook computer. Just click on the file names and that should download the file required. I would suggest you make a folder on your desktop and name it something like Root GS3 Odin 3.07 KIES_HOME_L710VPALEN_L710SPRALEN_618049_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5 After downloading the above files to your computer: 1. double click on the "Odin 3.07 zip". Copy the "Odin307" folder into your "UnRoot GS3" folder. 2. double click on the "KIES_HOME_L710VPALEN_L710SPRALEN_618049_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.zip" And Copy "KIES_HOME_L710VPALEN_L710SPRALEN_618049_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5 and the " SS_DL.dll" files to the UnRoot GS3 folder. In other words, extract the tar file from the zip and copy it to the UnRoot GS3 folder.

Using Odin
1. Open the "Odin307" folder and right click on "Odin3 v3.07.exe" and choose run as administrator. Odin will open. 2. place your phone into download mode. Turn off phone - press and hold volume down, home button and power button at the same time. When you see the warning push the volume up button to continue. 3. Plug your usb cord to your phone and computer and wait until you see any number and com in the com 4. Check the PDA block and browse to "KIES_HOME_L710VPALEN_L710SPRALEN_618049_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5" in your UnRoot GS3 Folder 5. Verify Auto Reboot is checked as well as F. Reset Time

When all this is setup Odin should look like this:

Odin.jpg

6. If everything looks like the picture, click on the start button in Odin.

Note: This is vary large file and make take up to 10 minutes to complete.

When the phone leaves download mod and starts to reboot you can remove the usb cord.

Last edited:

asscancer

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Back to unrooted stock. Still losing connection and all that. Counter back to 0 at least.

I'm going to take it back to Sprint even though I bought it at Radio Shack. I hope Radio Shack has something to cover this else I'm effed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz