Concerning Auto Correction on JellyBean keyboard (CM10 M1)

okaybn

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I recently installed CM10 (M1) Jelly Bean for my galaxy s3. Everything works great, but im noticing something from the keyboard.

I am very new to android, so I am not sure if it never did this, but when I type it doesnt automatically correct my spelling/words. I previously used an iphone, and basically if I made stupid errors, it would simply replace the words as I typed. I would not have to choose the various word suggestions above.
Is this not a feature on the jellybean keyboard?
I have gone to settings and for "Auto Correction" I chose "very aggressive" and still my words are not being replaced at all.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

el_mariach

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the nightly build and I'm not having any problem. In fact as I was typing this in I was deliberately mistyping and it was auto correcting my spelling. You might want to flash the latest nightly build.

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem as O/P and it's driving me nuts! I just got this S3 and DL'd the Android 4.1.1 that was available for it. The keyboard has no auto-fill/corrections, and is severely lacking the iOS keyboards that I'm used to.

What is the "Nightly Build"? I know that I have the latest OEM updates on my phone.

When I go into the keyboard section in Settings it give me no option for "Auto Correction" at all. Just basically asks which Keyboard I want to use (Google's J.B as it's currently on, or Samsung's, or "Swype"), and some other checkboxes, none of which have anything to do with auto-corrections.

EDIT: So in Settings, it shows that I'm using the "Samsung Keyboard", but it's using Googles's Voice Typing. It has the new Google Voice-To-Text and everything. Does this mean the Samsung Keyboard doesn't support the Auto-Correct feature?

Last edited:

el_mariach

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't remember the features the s3 originally came with as in texting and auto correct. I've been rooted for a while now. Hahaha from what I remember though I did not care for it. The auto correct feature should be located under keyboard settings. As far as nightly build its a ROM by cyanogen. You have to be rooted for this feature. Which I recommend looking into.

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't remember the features the s3 originally came with as in texting and auto correct. I've been rooted for a while now. Hahaha from what I remember though I did not care for it. The auto correct feature should be located under keyboard settings. As far as nightly build its a ROM by cyanogen. You have to be rooted for this feature. Which I recommend looking into.

Lol. I have no idea what any of that stuff means ("Rooted", "Nightly Build", "ROM", "Cyanogen") :D. I'm an Apple guy at heart so I'm used to them just figuring everything out for me and not having to focus on this stuff. Definitely sounds fun though if you're so inclined and into modifying/tweaking your OS. Thanks for the help, yeah seems like this keyboard unfortunately doesn't come with an Auto-Correct in the same vein as the iOS keyboard does. I've been getting kind of used to the Swype feature (the version on the Samsung Keyboard since I want to keep the Google Voice Control handy and the actual "Swype" keyboard doesn't have it for some damn reason), and it's a decent compromise, but still not nearly as easy or intuitive to me.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting kind of used to the Swype feature (the version on the Samsung Keyboard since I want to keep the Google Voice Control handy and the actual "Swype" keyboard doesn't have it for some damn reason), and it's a decent compromise, but still not nearly as easy or intuitive to me.

I do believe that the stock Swype has a little microphone somewhere at the bottom of the keyboard. The Swype Beta editions have a little "dragon flame" on the bottom right part of the keyboard for Dragon Naturally Speaking voice control.

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I just started using Swype and realized that it's SO much better than the Samsung keyboard, then guess what? In the Web Browser Swype's auto spacing and auto capitalizing doesn't work, and apparently Swype won't answer why.

This fragmentation between Android and the hardware is getting extremely frustrating. When I get excited at finding a new thing, I realize that somewhere, someway, it doesn't work or work well in another field.

el_mariach

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
As far as cm10 try this. Next to android keyboard are the options. uploadfromtaptalk1352908295346.jpg In these options is the autocorrect towards the bottom. uploadfromtaptalk1352908356789.jpg I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance