Root and ROM with no Computer?

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
My pc is on the downhill slide, I'd rather not get frustrated with it if I don't have to.
Is it possible to root with no pc with the S3?

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Well soab. WHERE'S THE ONE CLICK ROOT??!?! Haha looks like I'll be dancing with the Old Dell lol.

Any recommendation on an overall kickass ROM?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Take you pick there are quite a few good ones. Do you like AOSP, CM, TW Based, Themed or un themed. We are lucky to have a great dev community on this phone there is surely something for everyone.

What's your preference?

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I love the Cyanogen roms but they always seem to be buggy. Is there a rock solid version of cm out there? Something that won't crash or fc and still retain all the functionality of the stock phone, just better? Are you able to update profile or PRL on any of the CM's out there now?

Other than that I'm really looking for a stable ROM that adds performance while still keeping good battery life. Themes are nice but they're mostly personal preference with the aesthetics so options are nice on regards to theming.

Gotta get rid of the bloat on this phone....there is A LOT of bloat pre-installed on it.

Something with a kernel that gives options for governors is great.

So to start with, non CM, but would like to flash a recovery that is compatible with CM so if I want to try it later it's an easy switch.

Whatcha think?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Skunk where could I get a one click root? I remember when I rooted my s2 it used clockwork mod as the recovery.

I am fully updated (used your manual JB update). I would like to stay this stock JB rom but just have root access for apps and APKs. Any suggestions? :D

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Skunk where could I get a one click root? I remember when I rooted my s2 it used clockwork mod as the recovery.

I am fully updated (used your manual JB update). I would like to stay this stock JB rom but just have root access for apps and APKs. Any suggestions? :D

There really isn't a one click root for our phone.

You can flash a huge 800+ mb prerooted tar image with Odin and then flash a recovery tar. Drawbacks are you may not always have the most updated software version. Will wipe apps and data.

Or

Flash a small recovery tar and root from recovery. Advantage it is a much smaller file to flash in Odin and will root your existing software without losing any data.

How to root guide for Sprint GS3
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2103848

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There really isn't a one click root for our phone.

You can flash a huge 800+ mb prerooted tar image with Odin and then flash a recovery tar. Drawbacks are you may not always have the most updated software version. Will wipe apps and data.

Or

Flash a small recovery tar and root from recovery. Advantage it is a much smaller file to flash in Odin and will root your existing software without losing any data.

How to root guide for Sprint GS3
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2103848

Thanks Skunk. I will go the 2nd route by following your guide so I can keep apps and just be rooted :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae