- 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM #2Retired Ambassador
- 4,518 Posts
1. Getting OTA Updates are a pain.
2. Returning to stock before taking phone into Sprint.
1. Nandroid Backups
4. WiFi Tether
5. More control over how your phone looks and runs.
Roms or Stock???
Some of the benefits of custom ROMs are:
1. They get updated more often and are usually more up to date than stock.
2. Improved performance and efficiency
3. Improved Battery life
4. Removal of bloatware
5. Custom themes and user interfaces
6. They're just plain cool !
Some drawbacks of custom ROMs are:
1. Installing custom ROMs generally involves having to perform a clean wipe. So be sure to back up often (Titanium Backup, My backup Pro to name a few) and NEVER forget your Nandroid (CWM Recovery Back up)
2. Custom ROMs may have bugs that cause your device to have issues
3. Voids the Manufacturer Warranty (just like rooting)! (You can always go back to stock unrooted state prior to turning phone in for warranty work)
- 11-05-2012, 04:27 PM #3
Do it! The OTA updates are always available through a rooted Rom zip file (and sooner than waiting for the Sprint OTA) and the chances that you will ever have to take your phone back to Sprint are greater than 100 to 1. On the plus side, it is simple to do and you can customize your phone just the way you want it and there are tons of good developers and ROMs available. It really is a no-brainer.
- 11-05-2012, 11:17 PM #5Retired Ambassador
- 4,518 Posts
- 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM #6
- 11-08-2012, 08:50 AM #7
- By Jerry Hildenbrand in forum HTC Hero Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 157Last Post: 01-22-2010, 08:47 PM
- By imekul in forum HTC Hero Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 7Last Post: 11-29-2009, 11:54 PM
- By Jerry Hildenbrand in forum HTC Droid Eris Rooting, ROMs, and HackingReplies: 0Last Post: 11-10-2009, 10:22 PM
- By brandonscott in forum Motorola DroidReplies: 1Last Post: 11-06-2009, 08:43 PM
- By tx26257 in forum Motorola DroidReplies: 5Last Post: 11-03-2009, 05:56 PM