Strange issue with wifi tether

1moneymark

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Im having a strange issue with wifi tether. im stock rooted gs3. while wifi tether is running tether will spontaniously shut down and give error message "what the hell, your phone takes control of wifi tether interface". this happened on both 3.3pre1 and 3.3pre2. if i reboot phone it seems to run normally. i dont know what triggers this. has anyone else had this issue? what can i do to "fix" it?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Im having a strange issue with wifi tether. im stock rooted gs3. while wifi tether is running tether will spontaniously shut down and give error message "what the hell, your phone takes control of wifi tether interface". this happened on both 3.3pre1 and 3.3pre2. if i reboot phone it seems to run normally. i dont know what triggers this. has anyone else had this issue? what can i do to "fix" it?

You are using the hacked version of Wi-Fi tether?

1moneymark

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
i have used the hacked version but didnt like the fact that i couldnt encrypt. so i tried 3.3 pre1 and 3.3 pre2. both workbut do this shut down after a massage thatsays "what the hell..." when i reboot my phone it works properly for a while then tether starts shutting down randomly like it works fine till i plug in usb cord to charge then shuts down and keeps shutting down till i reboot then works fine. ive tried changing on wifi tether from auto to gs3 etc and still have same issue

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
i have used the hacked version but didnt like the fact that i couldnt encrypt. so i tried 3.3 pre1 and 3.3 pre2. both workbut do this shut down after a massage thatsays "what the hell..." when i reboot my phone it works properly for a while then tether starts shutting down randomly like it works fine till i plug in usb cord to charge then shuts down and keeps shutting down till i reboot then works fine. ive tried changing on wifi tether from auto to gs3 etc and still have same issue

I'd you want to Wi-Fi tether the only way is the hacked version or put up with the problems. The issues well eventually get worked out.

Tierra3690

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I just went to settings, location services, and unchecked use wireless networks and that seems to fix the error message as long as the screens on.
However, once the screen times out and i click it back on I get disconnected from wifi again with the what the hell message.
So to solve that I went to settings, display, screen timeout and changed that to 10min.. now as long as the screen stays on i stay connected with no error

-----
Sprint, Samsung galaxy S3 with Jellybean

-----

*Heres an update. I installed SuperSU which overrides superuser for wifi tether. Now when my screen times out my connection remains in tact. Of course, I also still have "use wireless networks" unchecked in my settings..
And for those of you who don't want to use SuperSU instead of Superuser then I recommend installing a program called caffeine which makes your phone stay on all the time when activated with an option to keep your screen on all the time while plugged in only.

Last edited:

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Do you have Sprint Connections Optimizer enabled? If so, that could very well be your problem because as your phone automatically tries to connect to wifi, it will disable the tether.

To disable: Settings < More Settings < Mobile Networks and uncheck Sprint Optimizer box.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If that doesn't solve it, to Settings / WiFi, tap menu and choose advanced. Try unchecking both Network notification and Check for internet service

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781