Official jelly bean rooting?

anchorman4087

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I got the official sprint update to jellybean on my gs3 and i wanted to root it. I rooted successfully but my phone would bug out every now and then so i unrooted and flashed stock ICS. stupid me re-updated back up to jellybean before i could root my phone. Is there a different way to root a gs3 with official jb? or do i go about it the same way as if it were stock.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I got the official sprint update to jellybean on my gs3 and i wanted to root it. I rooted successfully but my phone would bug out every now and then so i unrooted and flashed stock ICS. stupid me re-updated back up to jellybean before i could root my phone. Is there a different way to root a gs3 with official jb? or do i go about it the same way as if it were stock.

I don't really understand what your asking here. How did you root it last time?There is a stock rooted tar file you can flash in Odin. You will most likely lose your apps an data. Our you can flash recovery tar and root from recovery and not lose any data. Those are your 2 options to root.

With either method it doesn't matter what version you are currently on. We can get you on Jb rooted on stock recovery or on custom recovery.

We can also get you back on rooted ics if that's where you want to go. But the update messages would most likely become unbearable.

anchorman4087

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
ok so i started with obviously stock ICS on my S3. Then i officially updated to jellybean thanks to sprint. I rooted my phone using Odin and put clockwork into my SD. Immediately after i rooted my phone began freezing after bootup. My lock screen would come up but give it about 20 seconds and it would freeze. Did many battery pulls and eventually it started working normally with a successful root. Throughout the week it would freeze from here to there and i would just continue to do battery pulls and i got fed up with it. I went back to stock ICS and updated again to JB. It came to mind that the instructions i were following was for a GS3 with ICS. I updated mine with JB. thats where i thought the problem was. sorry for any discrepancies :(

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The root method here is not for ics phones. It's for any Sprint Samsung gs3 regardless of what version android you have.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Instead of constantly troubleshooting - backup all your data / apps with Titanium backup or some other backup utility.

Then grab the official rooted jellybean rom + Odin 3.0.7 from these forums

Reboot into recovery and nandroid backup (set backup type to .tar !!!) your current setup (just in case - you can delete it later)

Do a factory reset to wipe everything, and I also wipe cache a 2nd time and goto mounts/storage and format system too just in case.

pull the battery, put it back in and put the phone into download mode and use Odin 3.0.7 to flash the rooted Jellybean

As soon as I got my S3 I did this. I didn't even power on with whatever came on the phone, immediately flashed a fresh jellybean.

The wipes may be un-necessary since you use Odin, but may as well format everything once you have done a nandroid backup.