GS3 Sucessful root, freeze at startup, did factory reset-is this ok?

daveross

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Galaxy S3 used Qbking77's latest root method. Went through without a hitch but as some others have reported, the phone locked up everytime, multiple times, just after booting up into Jelly Bean.

Rather than try to unroot, I just did a factory reset. This was faster given that I needed my phone functioning again and was short on time to download the 200MB? files needed.

The phone did freeze up one last time after this, prior to installing any apps, I rebooted, it seemed stable, I was able to navigate and launch apps, so I went ahead and re-installed all my apps manually. it still seemed stable and since then-about 2 days ago, everything seems fine no crashes or freezes at all even after my apps (about 57) installed. It seems that last freeze was just a fluke freeze.

The phone still has root access as verified by the app root checker, and several apps that require root access Titanium Backup, Adfree Android, Wifi Tether all seem to work just fine.

So my bottom line question-Should this be ok, just doing a factory reset after rooting or should I have unrooted before doing the factory reset? Should I expect some data corruption down the road? Like I said it seems perfectly fine.

Thanks

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Galaxy S3 used Qbking77's latest root method. Went through without a hitch but as some others have reported, the phone locked up everytime, multiple times, just after booting up into Jelly Bean.

Rather than try to unroot, I just did a factory reset. This was faster given that I needed my phone functioning again and was short on time to download the 200MB? files needed.

The phone did freeze up one last time after this, prior to installing any apps, I rebooted, it seemed stable, I was able to navigate and launch apps, so I went ahead and re-installed all my apps manually. it still seemed stable and since then-about 2 days ago, everything seems fine no crashes or freezes at all even after my apps (about 57) installed. It seems that last freeze was just a fluke freeze.

The phone still has root access as verified by the app root checker, and several apps that require root access Titanium Backup, Adfree Android, Wifi Tether all seem to work just fine.

So my bottom line question-Should this be ok, just doing a factory reset after rooting or should I have unrooted before doing the factory reset? Should I expect some data corruption down the road? Like I said it seems perfectly fine.

Thanks

This is fine. There's no problem doing a factory reset. It shouldn't effect your root at all.

daveross

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
This is fine. There's no problem doing a factory reset. It shouldn't effect your root at all.

Cool-so there shouldn't be any corruption of the (stock) rom? I chalked up the original constant freeze to an app that the root didn't like or something that, but that one time after the factory reset still bothered me.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Cool-so there shouldn't be any corruption of the (stock) rom? I chalked up the original constant freeze to an app that the root didn't like or something that, but that one time after the factory reset still bothered me.

All the factory reset does is remove your apps and settings. It does nothing to the Rom. It just removes what you put on it.

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
He might of had an optimus s before the sgs3. If you did a factory reset from the phone and not recovery you'd ebd up with a paperweight.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So is it ok to do a factory reset if you have a custom recovery from the phone or do you have to do it from the recovery

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
There is no problem doing a factory reset on a rooted phone with custom recovery. I haven't a clue where you got that from. You do a factor reset every time you wipe data factory reset before flashing a Rom.

On my old phone, if you did a factory reset within the actual phone settings with a custom recovery (NOT recovery) it would brick your phone :O but I edited my post because I'm not sure that's what he meant or if it's ok on the GS3. I was stupid to post what I said, my bad :p

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
If you did a factory reset on my old optimus s from within the phone and not recovery you would get a brick. But as reluctant as I was I trusted skunape and reset from within the phone and no problems. Im glad I dont have to worry if I do a reset within the phone

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was scared when I pressed reset from whitin the phone. Im so glad I dont have to worry about it. I would have never done it that way if skunkape didn't tell me it was ok. I would have always booted into recovery to reset my phone

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Either works. For me it just depends on why I am doing it. Most of the time it is to flash something so I do it in recovery

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci