Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seanskiT1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Default Use a nandroid backup on another phone?

If I get a replacement phone (same model) and root it, can I use the nandroid on my previous phone on the replacement so that it is set up the way the previous phone was?

Default Re: Use a nandroid backup on another phone?

I would think that would work but I'm curious to hear what the more knowledgeable members have to say.

It seems that it would work. However the new phone has to be identical(obvious i know, just don't wanna leave anything out). The new phone would have to be rooted with the exact same custom recovery(version # included) first. And you will have to pull the nandroid from the current phone and put it in the exact same location on the new phone.

Thats my thought process on this. I'd wait for second opinion on this.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked
    GS3...Wicked Sensations

EVO 4G...Digital Twinturbo-retired
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

I'm not sure the exact location of the nandroid matters (at least not with TWRP), but otherwise I agree with seanski.

To be safe, though, I'd also do a complete backup of apps and data using Titanium Backup, and save that to an external SD.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Thanked by 3:

I did this with my epic. Only problem I had was Facebook kept trying to sync no matter what. To solve it I tried the backup a 2nd time and immediately uninstalled Facebook. Then reinstalled it and I was good to go.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by seanskiT1 View Post
    It seems that it would work. However the new phone has to be identical(obvious i know, just don't wanna leave anything out). The new phone would have to be rooted with the exact same custom recovery(version # included) first. And you will have to pull the nandroid from the current phone and put it in the exact same location on the new phone.

Thats my thought process on this. I'd wait for second opinion on this.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked
    Just to confirm, you actually have to be on the same exact version of TWRP? Not just any version? I haven't updated TWRP forever and I also save my nandroids to Dropbox just in case I lose my phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710