Best Roms for Galaxy s3

Athlete_12

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
So I finally rooted my s3 and it was my first time. Just wanted to know what are some good roms to run on my s3. I prefer a pure jelly bean experience for my s3, but I am also open to try out other roms that you think is good.
Oh and I was planning to run CM 10, but are there any other better roms out there for a pure jelly bean, nexus experience? Thanks in advance.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think there are many better ROMs than CM. I prefer TW based ROMs, so I won't make any recommendations about AOSP-based ones, but there seem to be more issues with CM than with any other ROM. Maybe that's just because more people know about it, but I don't think so.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I finally rooted my s3 and it was my first time. Just wanted to know what are some good roms to run on my s3. I prefer a pure jelly bean experience for my s3, but I am also open to try out other roms that you think is good.
Oh and I was planning to run CM 10, but are there any other better roms out there for a pure jelly bean, nexus experience? Thanks in advance.

MOAR is a very good TouchWiz based ROM. SO is WickedSensations. However, you asked about AOSP, so I would suggest SlimROM over Cyanogen.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! lol and what are some good features on SlimROM that make you recommend it?

Its easier to set up toggles and a brightness slider in Slim than CM. When I had CM on my S2 I had to have two different sets of toggles in order to have a brightness slider. I visually liked one set over the other, but the set I didn't like had the slider attached.
Also toggles seemed more prevalent in Slim than CM....meaning a little easier to figure out, as opposed to buried in a semi obscured setting.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And I will also admit, CM is popular enough, and I figure it's time to let other developers shine.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I too just got a GS3, have rooted it, and am looking for a good ROM. :)

In the past, I've always enjoyed ROMs that were sorta like the stock ROM but with bloatware removed, wifi tether added, faster kernel, etc.

I've already tried JellyBomb (crashing like crazy - not sure if I DL'd the wrong one but wasted a couple hours with that stuff - lol - hated the blue) and have just installed People's ROM. Seems sort of sparse and a little buggy (for example, no way to dismiss notifications).

Is there a list of ROMs sorted be popularity? I'm not really one who changes ROMs all the time. I find one I like and pretty much stay with that the whole time I have the phone.

Appreciate any advice!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

In the past, I've always enjoyed ROMs that were sorta like the stock ROM but with bloatware removed, wifi tether added, faster kernel, etc.

I've already tried JellyBomb (crashing like crazy - not sure if I DL'd the wrong one but wasted a couple hours with that stuff - lol - hated the blue) and have just installed People's ROM. Seems sort of sparse and a little buggy (for example, no way to dismiss notifications).

Is there a list of ROMs sorted be popularity? I'm not really one who changes ROMs all the time. I find one I like and pretty much stay with that the whole time I have the phone.

Appreciate any advice!

You can try searching for popular ones. Just make sure in the search you include carrier.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
First off, I'm assuming that since you're in the Sprint rooting forum you have a Sprint GS3. If not, pay no attention to anything you read here. Find the rooting forum for your specific carrier model, and start over. Flashing a ROM meant for a different version of the GS3 will, at best, cause you lots of grief, and at worst hard brick your phone.

Two very good, and very popular, Touchwiz based ROMs for Sprint GS3s are MOAR (Mother of All ROMs) and Wicked Sensations. I've used them both, and settled on MOAR. Others prefer Wicked. Both are very stable, very reliable, fast and smooth, and offer huge amounts of customizations. MOAR can also be left appearing virtually stock, if you prefer that.

MOAR: [ROM] [MOAR] [MD4] Smooth / Modded / Maddness / Sick / v5.01 [06.17.13] - xda-developers

Wicked: [ROM][MD4] ヅ Wicked Sensations Rom v4.2✭AnaKonda Theme✭Twisted Pink Theme✭eREDicate - xda-developers

amazin2469

May 9, 2012
Visit site

Appreciate any advice!

I really like the "Goodness" Rom they are a great development team and the rom is TW and runs amazingly smooth with great animations. You can find more about it here. [ROM] **GOODNESS REBORN** Endless Possibilites [6/12/2013] - xda-developers

Excellent battery life too when running the KT747 Kernel found here. [KERNEL][SPRINT][AOSP/TOUCHWIZ-JELLYBEAN][7/19/2013] KT747 - MD4 - KTweaker - xda-developers

Been using it nearly exclusively since last November. :)

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
One thing I learned to look for in ROM descriptions is I really hate the look of inverted apps. I understand the option of them being there, but make it an option, not absolute.

amazin2469

May 9, 2012
Visit site
One thing I learned to look for in ROM descriptions is I really hate the look of inverted apps. I understand the option of them being there, but make it an option, not absolute.

This is exactly why we have custom roms. I happen to love the inverted apps and the battery savings they afford. With a stock rom you don't have too many choices but with the "custom" roms available we can choose what we like based on our own personal preferences.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly why we have custom roms. I happen to love the inverted apps and the battery savings they afford. With a stock rom you don't have too many choices but with the "custom" roms available we can choose what we like based on our own personal preferences.

I understand that. I know people like them. I was offering a bit of insight to the OP.

Sent a long time ago from a Galaxy Tab 2 far, far away on AC forums

jfcaroth

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I am happy with RootBox, but I have thought about trying SlimBean.

I also prefer Leankernel over others.

YMMV however.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I am happy with RootBox, but I have thought about trying SlimBean.

I also prefer Leankernel over others.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using Tapatalk 4

The I957 is NOT a Sprint GS3. Are those ROMs and kernel compatible with the Sprint phone? If not, you shouldn't be recommending them in the Sprint forum.

lbal bahamut

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Smoothest ROM I've eer used is M.O.A.R. (Mother of all ROMs). Never had any trouble out of it. A ton of customizable options. I'd start here if I were you.

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
You definitely have plenty of options. I'm running Wicked Sensations right now and it is quite nice. I don't have experience with any of the other ROMs yet, so I won't speculate, but I plan to try out several over the next few weeks and land on one that suits me best.