Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooted my phone. Just wanna go over what I did.....

So I've been reading up on all this rooting stuff. Decided to try it this morning after I got of work. So I put the team epic zip on the phone, I used the twrp instead of clockwork. Is that a big deal?. So I went and installed the twrp recovery then installed the team epic zip from the phones internal storage. Well this is were I got a little ahead of myself. I then went and installed a root checker. I'm good to go. Well then I thought about a nandroid backup....lol. So is it a big deal I did it this late? O then I installed busybox. Then updated my binary. So am I to far out of whack? Next I would like to install a custom rom. Thinking either MOAR or wicked. Anything better with my current set up. Now if I do the custom rom I don't have any apps that I can't redownload. So do I really need TI backup? Thanks

Global Posts
    24,273 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Rooted my phone. Just wanna go over what I did.....

Quote Originally Posted by HuntedDuck View Post
    So I've been reading up on all this rooting stuff. Decided to try it this morning after I got of work. So I put the team epic zip on the phone, I used the twrp instead of clockwork. Is that a big deal?. So I went and installed the twrp recovery then installed the team epic zip from the phones internal storage. Well this is were I got a little ahead of myself. I then went and installed a root checker. I'm good to go. Well then I thought about a nandroid backup....lol. So is it a big deal I did it this late? O then I installed busybox. Then updated my binary. So am I to far out of whack? Next I would like to install a custom rom. Thinking either MOAR or wicked. Anything better with my current set up. Now if I do the custom rom I don't have any apps that I can't redownload. So do I really need TI backup? Thanks
    Welcome to the forums.
    You need to install a custom recovery in order to do a Nandroid. So you didn't really get a head of yourself there. You did it about as early as you could. Stock recoveries don't have a backup feature. However, I would do one more backup in your current state (assuming everything is working fine) and keep both for a while. When you flash a new ROM wipe cache, dalvik, and doa factory reset before flashing. Titanium Backup is still a good app to have, as it lets you freeze apps that the OS won't allow.

Be advised: If you do decide to flash AOSP ROMs, you will need to have a copy of GApps available. And the GApps needs to match the OS that you are flashing, i.e. if flashing 4.3, you need 4.3 version of GApps.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks golf. I also have wifi working but the one thing that's acting goofy is when I tried to switch back to home wifi on my phone wifi wouldn't turn back on. Had to shut o hone down. Any ideas?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    24,273 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Thanks golf. I also have wifi working but the one thing that's acting goofy is when I tried to switch back to home wifi on my phone wifi wouldn't turn back on. Had to shut o hone down. Any ideas?

Try rebooting into recovery and wipe cache. Only thing I can think of to try.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I gave that a try but still a no go. Probably something I have done. But if that's the worst thing I have to do is just shut down and restart after I use tether that's not bad.

Global Posts
    24,273 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

I gave that a try but still a no go. Probably something I have done. But if that's the worst thing I have to do is just shut down and restart after I use tether that's not bad.

Might just be a bug.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Not real sure what a AOSP rom is? But I'm guessing when I do a clean install and out on a custon rom it should tske care of my tether bug o roblem I'm having now. So is MOAR a AOSP rom?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Not real sure what a AOSP rom is? But I'm guessing when I do a clean install and out on a custon rom it should tske care of my tether bug o roblem I'm having now. So is MOAR a AOSP rom?

No, MOAR & Wicked Sensations are both touchwiz based ROMS. You do not have to worry about flashing gapps with them.

Whenever you change ROMS it is best to always do a clean install. Greatly reduces chances for bugs.

AOSP, is Android open source project. In the case of the S3's most AOSP is 4.2.2 or now some 4.3 versions whereas the TW based ROMS are 4.1.2.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked
    GS3...Wicked Sensations

EVO 4G...Digital Twinturbo-retired
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks Sean. So is there a link of the rom and a how to install?

Posted via my newly rooted S3..

Thanks Sean. So is there a link of the rom and a how to install?

Here is the link to my thread here about Wicked. It has the the link to XDA, where you can find download links. And be sure to read through the thread. There are tons of add ons/ mods. I've even done pull down image or two. They even have a new purple theme in progress.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2758418

GS3...Wicked Sensations

MOAR: [ROM] [MOAR] [MD4] Smooth / Modded / Maddness / Sick / v5.01 [06.17.13] - xda-developers
    WS: [ROM][MD4] ヅ Wicked Sensations Rom v4.2✭AnaKonda Theme✭Twisted Pink Theme✭eREDicate - xda-developers

The procedure for flashing any new ROM is basically the same:

Copy the ROM zip file to the root directory of either your internal or external SD card
    Boot into recovery (CWM or TWRP), wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory / data reset, then install the new ROM.

Both of these ROMs, however, have a lot of customization options through the Aroma installer (MOAR) and the Kuban Updater (Wicked). It will be worth your time to read at least the first few posts of each of the threads on XDA.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Install is fairly easy.

1. Boot into recovery
    2. Factory reset
    3. Wipe cache & dalvik cache
    4. Install/Flash ROM.

TWRP recovery is recommended.

GS3...Wicked Sensations

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks guys for the help. I will try and read up while watching the Dodgers game. Appreciate the help.

Hi,

Been using wicked for a few weeks. Was wondering if you know - is there a way to change the background color of email apps to something other than black? The themes included all seem to have black background which I don't really care for. I started searching around for other themes under S3 themes but honestly not sure what is or isn't compatible. I got a bit confused.

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    24,273 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by andee1517 View Post
    Hi,

Been using wicked for a few weeks. Was wondering if you know - is there a way to change the background color of email apps to something other than black? The themes included all seem to have black background which I don't really care for. I started searching around for other themes under S3 themes but honestly not sure what is or isn't compatible. I got a bit confused.

Thanks!

My guess is no. But black is a battery saver for the s3 and s4. No color means no energy needed. No energy means little battery drain.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Thanked by 2:

These apps such as e-mail are simply inverted. In the case of g-mail you can simply uninstall it. Then download it from the market.

GS3...Wicked Sensations

Thanked by 2:

Is there a way to revert back to norm for stock email? Will definitely do that for gmail.

Thanks guys.

Global Posts
    24,273 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by andee1517 View Post
    Is there a way to revert back to norm for stock email? Will definitely do that for gmail.

Thanks guys.

That one would be baked into the ROM. Nothing to do to change it.
    Meant to ask...how are you liking Wicked?

I like it. This is my first custom rom so lots of cool things to check out! : )

Thanked by:

how to root my phone

Quote Originally Posted by neville noble View Post
    how to root my phone
    What phone, exactly, do you have? Provide the brand, exact model number (not just GS3, but i9300, SPH-L170, etc. -- you can find this on the box, or under the battery of most phones), and the carrier your phone is operating on. Without this information, no one can answer your question correctly.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Thanked by:

s2 4g Samsung galaxy phone display would not come on back until call has ended

He..he...hahahahaha. Sorry.

*Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I assure you that mine are greater. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)