Possible method to root 4.3

johnathin15noob

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
HEY MEYERWEB thanks for responding. i have a sprint gs3 sph L710 running 4.3 that i "up"graded through kies like 2 or 3 weeks ago.

i tried both methods. i believe the first method gave me cwm touch but no root access. and i used cwm touch to "flash" (don't know if i'm using that right) supersu and knox remover. it did get rid of knox and installed supersu but still no root access. i can boot into recovery and download mode.

i tried to recover using the cwm (nandroid backup/recovery). i backed up just before trying the second method in OP (about 30 minutes). tried to recover using cmw and then bootloop.

thanks a million for even reading my post. this community is amazing

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried using Kies to reinstall the base 4.3 ROM? I think that's what 'd try first.

If that doesn't work, I would try downloading the file in the first post here: [ROM MK3 ROOTED] SPHL710 All In One Installer [ODEX/DEODEX] - xda-developers

to an SD card and try to flash it in TWRP.

If neither works, come back and tell us what happened, and we'll try to figure something else out. Whatever you do, do NOT try to use ODIN to go back to 4.1.2. That will permanently brick your phone.

johnathin15noob

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
hey meyerweb... my phone is back on!. no more boot loop. i was unable to try kies like you suggested. i used external sd to install the stock rom(deodexed). twrp gave me a hard time("unable to mount external sd") so i used cwm(touch) without a hitch. reboot. stayed on splash screen for about 5 min then started right up. thank you so much for guiding me. couldn't have done it without you.

and if you were wondering.... still no root access... lol

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Great, glad you're working. It seems there are only a couple of versions of TWRP work correctly with 4.3.

I would try installing SuperSU again, and updating the binaries. It should prompt you to do that, but if not see if there's a menu option to force it. Also, in the app's settings, make sure it's enabled.

crbdave2000

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
hey johnathin,

Thanks for your updates. I'm in almost exactly the same boat ( sprint gs3 sph L710 running 4.3 that i "up"graded through kies ). I tried to root using the instructions here: How to Root Galaxy S3 (Sprint) SPH-L710 on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Firmware - Honai of Android but, even though the process went exactly as described, the root did not happen. The comments on that post indicate that some other people have had similar problems.

My hope is to use the process described here : How to Root Galaxy S4 using TWRP Method! | GalaxyS4Root.com to get root access. Those instructions are for the s4 but they look like they should "port" to the s3. If anyone reading this knows any reason I should not attempt to get root access in this way, please let me know.

Thanks again.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm sort of making this up as I go along, but worst case you'll be no worse off:

Remove the back cover of your phone so you can easily pull the battery.

Download the flashable zip version of SuperSU from here: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip | by upndwn4par for Galaxy S 3
and the Knox remover from here: [CWM][SCRIPT][4.2.2/4.3] DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V4.1 - Clean all unneded Samsung Crap - xda-developers

and copy them to the top level of your internal or external SD.

Install your custom recovery in Odin. Philz recovery seems to work for people who couldn't get TWRP or CWM to work.

Philz: http://d-h.st/users/philz_touch/?fld_id=25216#files (use the d2spr version)
CWM & TWRP recoveries: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2151476 (use the latest versions)

Make sure the Odin options are as below, with auto reboot unchecked:

Odin%20Start.jpg

Once recovery is installed, pull the battery, so the phone doesn't reboot normally, and disconnect the usb cable.

Put the battery in, and boot into recovery. It is, I think, critical the phone doesn't boot normally. That's where your custom recovery gets clobbered.

Flash supersu and the Knox remover. DO NOT reboot or exit recovery in between.

Reboot. Download and install SuperSU from the playstore. It should prompt you to update binaries. If it doesn't, I'm out of ideas.

Cross your fingers and reboot.

Let me know what happens.

NOTE: This process WILL trip the Knox warranty bit. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to avoid that when rooting the official 4.3 ROM. By all accounts, Sprint doesn't seem to care if you root your phone, but Samsung certainly does. Following this procedure, or any other root procedure on the stock 4.3, WILL void your warranty.

Last edited:

tjfixxer7

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
OMG!!! Thank you Meyerweb! I followed your instructions below, and am now rooted. I've never been so happy over a cell phone. LOL
I used Odin3v1.85 and USCellularGS3CWM6.0.1.2.tar
Then flashed UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip and the DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0.zip
Rebooted with no Knox policy notices. Supersu app finally runs without immediately stopping and I was asked to update the binaries.

Thanks again. You have been a huge help. :)

Last edited:

johnathin15noob

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, checked. Still no.

The only reason why I wanted to root was to get a Rom as near stock android as possible. Nexus experience on gs3.

I'm not sure it's safe to try to flash. I've read, technically, it should be ok as long as you don't care about knox warranty(which I don't).

I also read I can't try to modify to a past bootloader and I don't know if a new Rom would do that.

I know essentially nothing about custom roms. And even less considering there's not much information that considers a 4.e3 update. It's all new territory

Posted via Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
No, flashing a ROM won't affect the bootloader. In that respect you're safe. The Knox warranty bit has probably already been triggered by the instaaltion of the custom recovery, so that's not an issue any more.

I don't know what will happen if you try to flash a ROM. Can you make a nandroid backup?

johnathin15noob

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
No, flashing a ROM won't affect the bootloader. In that respect you're safe. The Knox warranty bit has probably already been triggered by the instaaltion of the custom recovery, so that's not an issue any more.

I don't know what will happen if you try to flash a ROM. Can you make a nandroid backup?

I can make a nandroid backup, but I can't get the latest version of cwm 6.0.4.5. I need a tar. File... I Can only find an img. Of the latest version. If I could find that tar. I could try to flash a new Rom.

Note : sprint sph L710, mk3.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL