ROM FOR S3 SPRINT(new to s3 forum)

drm1992

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello

I am new to the S3 forums. I have been tempted to root my S3 lately but can not decide on which rom to use. So if people would not mind helping me out I would really appreciate it and would be very thankful. I am looking for a stable with all features working perfectly. I would not like to loose sbeam but I would like to use a different home launcher. I am currently stock at the moment with out root and would like your honest opinion without disrespecting any of the devs and all of their hard work.

Thank You in advanced.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I'm sure the locals to the S3 can give some good advice but my general rule of thumb is grab a few that interest you and give each a test drive for a few days. Make a full system backup in your custom recovery before hand so you have your current setup to return to if need be.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
First, you don't need to root to use a different launcher. There are a number of popular ones in the play store, including Nova, Go, Unity, and more. Just search the Play store for "launcher." Most have free versions or free trials. You ca even load the Android 4.4 (Kitkat) launcher without rooting, I think. If that's really the only reason you want to root I'd say leave well enough alone.

Has your S3 gotten the upgrade to Android 4,3 yet? If so, that changes the rooting equation, and risk, a bit.

Finally, ROMS: If you want to keep s-beam you'll want a touchwiz-based ROM. My favorite is MOAR. Wicked Sensations is also very popular. Read through this forum and you'll find others have asked the same question, and you'll see some other recommendations.

As Paul mentions, after rooting, and before flashing a new ROM, do a nandroid backup in recovery so you can easily restore to stock if needed.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I am looking for a stable with all features working perfectly. I would not like to loose sbeam but I would like to use a different home launcher.
The current 4.1.2 stock build is as close to 'perfect' as you're likely to get - why mess with perfection?

As Meyer said, there are lots of launchers to pick from until you find a look that you like
Action Launcher: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.actionlauncher.playstore
Nova Launcher: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher
Themer: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.mycolorscreen.themer

Finally, I'd recommend against rooting until you have a pressing need to do so - although it may only involve a couple of mouse clicks on your PC, there's really a big learning curve that you SHOULD put into it. Lots of people don't, which is why there are so many 'HELP - MY PHONE IS BRICKED' threads. YMMV.

Edit: looks like you've been around, but welcome to the S3 forums.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

drm1992

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I have some type of knowledge with rooting flashing some scripts certain stuff. I'm still considered a new. I got most of this knowledge from doing everything possible to my Optimus V from virgin mobile. No pressing need yet but I wanted for a kit kat type rom. But I rather wait since all builds are currently buggy not completely but still rather wait. I looked into some launchers so far but still haven't decided yet. Thank u all for the help.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

drm1992

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
The KitKat ROMS are all built on AOSP, which means they probably won't support any Samsung specific features, like s-beam.

Yeah I no. Tats what's holding me back at the moment hahahahaha. But nfc should be fine. As soon its up and running better ill try it out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I've been using carbonROM for a good while. It's stable, packed with features, and currently based on 4.3.1. I have the newer s3 at the moment so I can't use the newest recoveries yet so I haven't been able to try the new cm11 kit Kat ROM but I really just want to do so just to explore kit Kat. I'll likely stick with carbon as my daily driver. They wait until they have a nice stable product to release newer versions, but it likely won't be long until they upgrade to kit Kat

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze