4.3 gs3 w/ cwm. Is it possible to flash new rom???

johnathin15noob

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
got the 4.3 update THEN tried to root for the first time ever.

I've heard that it's hard to get a custom recovery after the 4.3 "up"grade. i didn't have any trouble doing so(cwm touch). that being said, can i flash new roms? has anyone gotten as far as a custom recovery? i'm hesitant to try seeing as knox bricks are falling out of the sky these days.

note: i think there is a difference between if you were rooted before the update or not. it seems people who were already rooted were able to regain root access. i haven't seen any success in my scenario though.

tjfixxer7

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same results...failure. My galaxy (SCH_R530U running android 4.3) was not rooted before the 4.3 upgrade. I've attempted to root it, following every root procedure I can find. I finally got a "Pass" from Odin, installing Clockworkmod recovery, yet I am unable to access the new recovery. It continues to bring up the stock recovery.

instructions indicating they can root any Galaxy S3 have also failed. I can go no further without Root. :(

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Damn Knox...
What have you guys tried? Somebody else said they were able to root their using Kingo root and managed to remove Knox.

Posted via Android Central App

tjfixxer7

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure Knox is to blame here. It's not installed.
I finally got Clockworkmod recovery installed and ran the Superuser.zip.
When phone starts up, I see a message stating "Supersu attempted to access a secure area on your phone without authorization.This attempt has been blocked.

Make sure your phone is protected by updating the security policy to the latest version from Samsung."

Looks like I have something new to google the hell out of. :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
When phone starts up, I see a message stating "Supersu attempted to access a secure area on your phone without authorization.This attempt has been blocked.

Make sure your phone is protected by updating the security policy to the latest version from Samsung."

o_O
That sounds exactly like the Knox error message

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

If you applied the OTA, the official update file from XDA, or via Kies, Knox is absolutely installed. You can remove the Knox apps, But there is currently no way to remove the Knox bootloader.

Some people have found success with the methods described in this thread:

|Guide|How-To| Root & Install Custom Recovery for 4.3 Update |22 Nov 2013| - xda-developers

johnathin15noob

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Damn Knox...
What have you guys tried? Somebody else said they were able to root their using Kingo root and managed to remove Knox.

I've successfully installed cmw. I've flashed knox remover that gets rid of the application aspect of knox. Did anandroid backup. But attempting to restore got me in a bootloop(edit: I've since resolved with the help of meyerweb). So now I'm scared to try to flash a Rom.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've successfully installed cmw. I've flashed knox remover that gets rid of the application aspect of knox. Did anandroid backup. But attempting to restore got me in a bootloop. So now I'm scared to try to flash a Rom.

You can get out of the bootloop buy doing a battery pull. Try it and then see if it still loops :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have the same results...failure. My galaxy (SCH_R530U running android 4.3) was not rooted before the 4.3 upgrade. I've attempted to root it, following every root procedure I can find. I finally got a "Pass" from Odin, installing Clockworkmod recovery, yet I am unable to access the new recovery. It continues to bring up the stock recovery.

instructions indicating they can root any Galaxy S3 have also failed. I can go no further without Root. :(

See this post. It's very important you don't reboot (except to recovery) between flashing recovery in Odin and flashing SuperSU in recovery.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...possible-method-root-4-3-a-2.html#post3316246

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles