Sprint Galaxy S3 - Total noob trying to unroot.

smokerella

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I got in WAY over my head by buying a rooted phone full of some random guy's dream goodies, but I was having multiple issues with MMS. I basically did a factory reset which took off a lot, but I still have Morphology/MOAR/N00bz on the phone in a folder that I can't delete. My phone does not currently have service, mobile network state is disconnected. I have WIFI going, and dammit I can't use TWRP now because it requires root. -_-

I downloaded KIES, and while my drivers appear to have installed correctly it refuses to "connect" my device. I've got Odin ready, I am trying to make SURE that I am using the correct stock ROM to flash back to.

Virgin Mobile S3
Model number: SPH-L710
Baseband version - L710VPAMG2

I've found a few "noob proof" guides, but it is not exactly crystal clear that those guides provide an all size fits one stock ROM. Can't afford to brick this, so I figured I'd suck it up and ask for help.

Can someone point me in the right direction for certain? Do you need any more information about the device? I have Skype if someone would like to PM me to talk it through. I appreciate any help, I'm very ready to just get this ordeal over with and just stay at factory for awhile.

Edit: I have the opportunity to upgrade to 4.3 - but I DO need to use Odin to flash the factory ROM first, yes?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
A factory reset shouldn't remove root. What happens when you try to boot into recovery?

More importantly, can you boot into download mode? (With phone powered off, press and hold Power, Home, Volume DOWN. When you see the warning screen, press volume UP.) If this works, look at the tiny print at the top left and see what it says for flash counter (0, 1, 2. etc....)

Do you know what version of MOAR is on the phone? Go to Settings / About device and tell me what it says for Build Number, Baseband version and Kernel version.

Once I know that, I think I can point you to a good unroot procedure, but I want to make sure your phone wasn't upgraded to 4.3. If it has, we'll need to do something a little different.

edit: I just reread and noticed your on Virgin mobile. The procedure will be the same, but the actual ROM file to install will be different. I'll have to see if I can find the stock Virgin 4.1.2 ROM.

Finally, don't be embarrassed about asking for help. We all need it sometimes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar