Hard bricked my s3 :(

Insane Aim X

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello.

I had wicked sensations ROM installed.
Had TWRP recovery installed. The rom got really buggy after it being installed for a while, so i figured it was time to reinstall fresh rom.
so I used rom manager to download the newest cyanogen mod.
I decided to do a clean wipe when installing cyanogen mod ROM, and while installing it failed.

I was stuck in recovery mode with no operating system installed, so I used an old ROM on my sd card just to get
android back on. i think it was called hercules rom. It successfully flashed and installed in recovery.
Next i pressed reboot/start.
Screen goes black.

and nothing ever came up.
My phone had 80% juice.
-I have swapped batteries.
-The little red light doesnt come on showing its charging
-No splash boot logo
-wont go into download mode(power,vol down, home)
-wont go into recovery mode.
Holding the power button or any combination above the screen always stays black
-no vibration
-no signs of life

Help me! i have no idea what to do. is my phone completely screwed... ?
its acting like a dummy display phone right now :(

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Here are a couple of threads which claim to unbrick a hard-bricked device. I've never really tried to follow them, but they may help.

[GUIDE]Unbrick a Hard Bricked SPRINT Galaxy S3 (Without JTAG) - xda-developers

Fixing a bootloader-bricked Galaxy S3 using an SD card (Qualcomm SGS3 variants) - xda-developers

Another option is to send the phone away to a service that uses a JTAG device. This gentleman has helped a number of forum users:

JTAG Unbrick Service « Bricked my Phone

BTW, for future reference, I would stay as far away from ROM Manager as possible. It will happily offer to flash a ROM that's not meant for your model of phone, leading to a hard brick.

Insane Aim X

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
oh my god!!!! My phone is back to life. thank you so much!! i can't believe this worked. took me about 5 hours to figure everything out, download linux, etc....
wow. you saved me so much money. ! :)
so now you know. confirmed. this actually works!!!!!

Difficulty level:medium
and I'm a very techy guy.
My biggest difficulty is not being comfortable using Linux OS.
The guide also had a lot of syntax errors with the Linux commands, and that slowed me down.
I used a 16gb micro sd card, but it was a class 2. not class 10 like the guide says to use. still worked regardless.

For the newbies out there. If you are going to use linux, just use a live boot cd, and don't install it on your pc.
I installed it dual booting with my windows 7, and it integrated itself into the Windows MBR.
Problem is, it would only let linux load, and my windows 7 stopped loading.
So i used windows 7 installation disc to repair the windows master boot record using the command prompt. and got everything back into running order :)
good luck on this you sprint people.

Can I pm you about my brothers s3 issue ?
Thanks once again

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Glad to hear it worked.

It would be better to post a regular thread so that others can learn from it and perhaps help answer. But feel free to PM me a link to the thread if you want to make sure I see it.

keyleroy

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
oh my god!!!! My phone is back to life. thank you so much!! i can't believe this worked. took me about 5 hours to figure everything out, download linux, etc....
wow. you saved me so much money. ! :)
so now you know. confirmed. this actually works!!!!!

Difficulty level:medium
and I'm a very techy guy.
My biggest difficulty is not being comfortable using Linux OS.
The guide also had a lot of syntax errors with the Linux commands, and that slowed me down.
I used a 16gb micro sd card, but it was a class 2. not class 10 like the guide says to use. still worked regardless.

For the newbies out there. If you are going to use linux, just use a live boot cd, and don't install it on your pc.
I installed it dual booting with my windows 7, and it integrated itself into the Windows MBR.
Problem is, it would only let linux load, and my windows 7 stopped loading.
So i used windows 7 installation disc to repair the windows master boot record using the command prompt. and got everything back into running order :)
good luck on this you sprint people.

Can I pm you about my brothers s3 issue ?
Thanks once again

Hey Instane Aim X,

I'm in the same boat with my Virgin Mobile Galaxy S3 and don't know a thing about using Linux. How about providing a step-by-step for a noob? Thanks bro!