sprint galaxy s3 running 4.4.2 wont root

magdaleno hernandez

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Mount error is because the version of twrp is not compatible with ur build or had a bug or is corrupt... ive run into this many many times...
Sometimes a reset will work or reinstall the recovery and if that doesnt work then redownload recovery and reflash... still not fixed- try a different version of twrp or cwm...

bejamin77

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Fellas, I'm having the exact same problem. Can we please work on a solution? After flashing CF-Auto using Odin the phone reboots but NO SUPERSU app is displayed in the phone's app tray. I try flashing CF-Auto then manually booting to recovery. However, the phone will not boot into recovery after the CF-Auto flash. It just display the RED android logo and go through the normal sequence of stating it's rooting the phone, adding SuperSU etc... then it boots up but you don't have root access or a SuperSU app present. I then flash (using Odin) TWRP recovery. This allows you to gain access to a recovery menu. However, you can't get anywhere (to install the UPDATE SUPERSU file that you download to your phone) because all you get is a bunch of mounting errors. In fact, both the internal and external storage read as "0" MB. I think the issue is as the guy who started this thread allude to is for some reason these tools can't read/write to the drives (internal or external). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Model: SPH-L710

Let me know what other info you may need to help me out here. Thanks in advance!

devildogwillbur

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
same issue as OP. Couldnt run SuperSU either, asks for updated binary. The TOWEL link worked perfectly. BUT Norton would not let me download it on my PC, it was listed as a trojan, and on the phone if you attempt to install it gives warning that it bypasses google security and recommends you do not install... Works in 2 seconds once downloaded and installed (15 seconds, if that) no reboot (says if it reboots it did not work) I then ran SuperSU and it did its ran, update and disabled Knox it froze, so i restarted and ran it again and Knox was removed. (which is your problem to begin with I think, had this issue months ago but its been a while i forgot, then I remembered...) you also can try running the Knox removal script then running CF auto root worked for me last time.

Lisa Mitchell27

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks, I too have a Sprint galaxy s3 that will not root.
Flashed via Odin, all seems to work well, screen says 'Pass', but when phone reboots, red droid appears and a few sentences telling me basically restoring stock recovery.
All instructions found for rooting once on 4.4.2 are easy enough, but they are taking. Unable to use towelroot b/c computer keeps refusing it as a bad file.
Root checker says not rooted and TWRP says no custom recovery installed.
What am I missing??
Thanks!!

congaman59

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My SPH-L710 is having trouble with getting rooted as well. Towel root website download seems corrupted and one place I tried to download it from tried to put malware on my phone! I tried the pholz flash in odin and it failed. Any other suggestions? I'm running a fresh ver of ND8.

CyberRiot

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Same problem. Had Cyanogenmod installed, but my modem wasn't working, so I flashed it back to stock to fix that issue. I figured I'd just re-install CM after.

I had some issues getting stock to work. At first I thought it was soft-bricked, as it was boot-looping. But I noticed it didn't always reboot immediately , and sometimes it would boot up and it seems it wouldn't reboot until I swiped it. So I let it go, rebooting over and over for an hour or so, and eventually it stopped.

So I now have a working 4.4.2. But it just won't take the root. It does what the others are describing: Odin says it passed, it boots into the red android screen, lots of text, then reboots normally and looks good. But root-check says it is not rooted properly, and any attempt to flash recovery fails.

p.s. Also the CyanogenMod auto-installer does not work. I assume this is because it is failing to root the phone as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87