[HOW TO] Root, Unroot, Hotspot, Roms, Tips and more! (7 videos)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: [HOW TO] Root, Unroot, Hotspot, Roms, Tips and more! (7 video

Sooooo... No need to unlock the bootloader?
SGSIII doesn't have a bootloader to unlock.

By flashing a custom recovery and then applying Superuser (root) access your device is then "unlocked".

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

My clockworkmod.TAR file symbol is just a blank sheet of paper. In the video the symbol is different and it is just titled clockworkmod. Is this a problem?

bauer2

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

My clockworkmod.TAR file symbol is just a blank sheet of paper. In the video the symbol is different and it is just titled clockworkmod. Is this a problem?

It might be you have a diffrent program that associated with that file. My zip file icons look diffrent than his but its cause I have a diffrent program.

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Is there a walkthrough to flash a ROM? Yes I just rooted for the very first time :cool:

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Is there a walkthrough to flash a ROM? Yes I just rooted for the very first time :cool:

Most ROM developers will have walkthroughs and sometimes videos that detail how to flash their ROM. In general, its relatively simple so you shouldn't have too many problems. Congratulations on your first root :p

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Tried over 20 times rooting my phone, No matter what I do Vol up, Home, Power, it keeps going Samsung --> Samsung Galaxy III --> Reboot, and it just keeps repeating. What button combination should we be pressing? Also, tried the battery pull method after Odin flash and it still goes to the Android Recovery and not Clockwork Recovery.

Superuser and BusyBox is installed, but it says there is no root, so I don't know how they (mainly Superuser) got installed without going into Clockwork Recovery. Everything else on the phone works, but not root.

Any ideas?

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Nevermind, figured it out. I was holding down the three button combination longer than I should have. When you see the first Samsung logo flash on the screen, release the buttons and it'll load the correct recovery.

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site

Should I Root only after using an sd card or can everything be done on internal storage?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Just rooted for the first time. :cool:

Thanks so much

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Okay so Im in the process of installing my first rom. Is it true I can just install it without wiping it? And Ive downloaded both TWRP and CWM I think everythings backed up but Im not really sure. Is that all I need to back up and restore my phone back to original settings and what not

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay so Im in the process of installing my first rom. Is it true I can just install it without wiping it? And Ive downloaded both TWRP and CWM I think everythings backed up but Im not really sure. Is that all I need to back up and restore my phone back to original settings and what not

What are you using for recovery? Which did you install?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
When I rooted my phone I downloaded cwm. But when I downloaded the Rom I had to back up with twrp so I have both. Either way. I think I got it. I backed it up with twrp. Thanks

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

No matter what I do it keeps coming up into Android recovery mode. Everything worked just fine up until this point. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You can't let your phone reboot. You have to stop it as soon as it leaves the the download screen. Take your cover off your battery and as soon as the phone leaves download mode pull the battery out. Another way to do it is uncheck auto reboot in odin. When it's about done start watching the message block. When it says "disconnected" unplug your phone and pull the battery. Put your battery back in and press and hold volume up, power and home. Release them as soon as you see the Samsung across the screen.

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I did UN-check auto reboot and disconnected and pulled the battery. Just like he said in the video. When I hold volume up, home, and power it just won't go to the correct recovery mode.
If I don't hold long enough or too long it just boots normally. As soon as the first image pops up I release.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I did UN-check auto reboot and disconnected and pulled the battery. Just like he said in the video. When I hold volume up, home, and power it just won't go to the correct recovery mode.
If I don't hold long enough or too long it just boots normally. As soon as the first image pops up I release.

If you are going to be flashing roms, use this method...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=192347

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't planning on it. Not now anyway. Just want to get tethering and Titanium back-up. I'll give it a try when I get home today.
Thanks

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

Would being updated to the latest firmware (Base Firmware: I9300XXBLG6 (4.0.4)) have anything to do with this not working for me? Apparently when installing Kies it updates the firmware automatically. Or so I've read.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Would being updated to the latest firmware (Base Firmware: I9300XXBLG6 (4.0.4)) have anything to do with this not working for me? Apparently when installing Kies it updates the firmware automatically. Or so I've read.

This is for sprint phones only. You are in the wrong forums if you have a I9300. Don't flash anything over here.

If you have I9300XXBLG6 firmware on a sprint phone. You didn't follow any of the directions here. I haven't a clue what you did or where you got it. I will try to get you headed in the right direction.

Last edited:

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

I do have a Sprint phone and I honestly can't tell you where I got that from. It doesn't say that on my phone. I think it was frustration talking and me reading too much. I'm not comfortable doing this stuff because when I mess up I don't know if I can fix it.
I did end up bricking it and I freaked. Luckily Kies fixed it. Then it applied OTA's that I didn't have before. Going to try it again and I want to apply the Blazer ROM if I can figure it out.

UPDATE: I got it to work this time without any problems. I used the other link this time though. Now to try the ROM. Never tried that before.

Last edited: