Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Default Re: so still trying to disable camera sounds

Ok, so I played around a bit with the default_gain.conf file (and admittedly, i have not gone and looked through the xda thread completely yet to see what other SGSIII owners' results have been) and from what I can tell, the one he provides in that thread seems to increase the volume of the phone.
    I could just be hearing something that I want to hear though. I didn't use the zip files to flash the stuff on, so ymmv, but I just pasted the file into /system/etc and restarted with a cache wipe.

I also tried volume+ for a moment and it didn't seem to work and in fact, it seemed to drop the max volume progressively at max volume so I'm not sure what's going on there.

When I get some time this weekend, I'll try to read through the xda forum and see what others seem to be getting...

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hiero View Post
    Ok, so preliminary results messing with 'SITUATIONVOLUME' in Volume.db under /system/etc:

DEF 3 SHUTTER1 controls the shutter sound for All shooting modes except panorama, including self portrait mode
    DEF 5 CAMCORDING controls the sound for video recording
    DEF 4 AUTOFOCUS controls the sound that plays when you tap to focus AND when you push the camera button when in smile shot mode

DEF 9 SHUTTER2, DEF 10 SHUTTER3 I'm not really sure what these do as the panorama mode still makes shutter sounds even with these zeroed out.

So at this point, I have all the sounds disabled except shutter sound for the panorama mode...

There are several other nice bits in there like control over the boot sounds and keys, etc, in case anyone wants to know
    What app did you use to modify the settings? What changes did you make exactly?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    What app did you use to modify the settings? What changes did you make exactly?
    I'm using sqlite editor to edit the db file and I'm just taking all the numbers down to 0, so each line has 2 numbers in the format X.X,X.X and I just took each line down to 0.0,0.0

I hope this thread isn't completely abandoned. I'm using aSQLiteManager but every time I try to open up Volume.db is tells me that it's not a database. What am I doing wrong? Is it the app?
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by pigandpepper View Post
    I hope this thread isn't completely abandoned. I'm using aSQLiteManager but every time I try to open up Volume.db is tells me that it's not a database. What am I doing wrong? Is it the app?
    You have to be rooted if you are on Sprint to disable the camera sounds. The system files cannot be edited without root access.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    You have to be rooted if you are on Sprint to disable the camera sounds. The system files cannot be edited without root access.
    yup, good place to start

Thought I did. Using root browser. Halp?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

which method to silence the sounds are you using?

I used sqlite editor and was able to change the value for Def4 to get rid of the focuse beep, but now I can't seem to change any other value is it gives me a "update failed - attempt to write to a read only database" message. Any ideas? I do have root access. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Retired Ambassador

There are instructions to disable the camera sounds if you are rooted. If you are not rooted stop trying as it is pointless on the sprint gs3.

This worked for me.

Here's how to shut off them camera sounds. I verified it works before posting.

system / media / audio / UI
    Scroll down until you see Shutter.ogg and Shutter_multiple.ogg. To the end of both of those file names add .bak
    So it will look like this:

Shutter.ogg.bak
    Shutter_multiple.ogg.bak

You will (of course) need to be rooted and have read/write enabled and restart your phone. Then those pesky shutter sounds will be gone for good.

Thanks should go to drawde40599
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 09-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Queb3 
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ft8299 View Post
    I used sqlite editor and was able to change the value for Def4 to get rid of the focuse beep, but now I can't seem to change any other value is it gives me a "update failed - attempt to write to a read only database" message. Any ideas? do have root access. Thanks in advance for the help!
    I don't use sqlite so not sure but there should be a setting to change read only to read/write.

thanks man i been searching for this. It worked perfectly and good write up. On my Sprint S3 the file are camera_click.ogg and camer_focus.ogg. I might just have a diff. version. But thanks again man, i was going crazy

There's an easier way for future reference if you're rooted. Go into system/Csc/features.xml
    Look for camera shutter Sound term and set it from false to true. wipe Chace and reboot.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by fuzai View Post
    There's an easier way for future reference if you're rooted. Go into system/Csc/features.xml
    Look for camera shutter Sound term and set it from false to true. wipe Chace and reboot.
    Thank you! I can confirm on Jelly Bean build LJ7 for Sprint Galaxy S3 that changing the value from false to true as fuzai said works without any other modifications, but that you have to do a hard reset that clears the cache (tried a few resets and couldn't figure out why nothing was changing). Held down volume up, home, and power until screen blanked, let go of power button and kept holding down volume down and home buttons until phone buzzed, then let go of everything and let it go as normal. Rooted sprint gs3, official jelly bean update from sprint.

Open camera options and scroll to the bottom. Turn it off.

Open Root Explorer - Navigate to /system/media/audio/ui
    Mount R/W
    Rename shutter.ogg to shutter.ogg.bak or just delete it.
    To undo, just rename it back
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12