Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Lightbulb so still trying to disable camera sounds

I'm not sure if anyone has figured this out yet but I went in and replaced all the camera sounds with a silent file (actually, I took the file in the system called Camera_empty.ogg and copy/renamed that file for all the other files) and I was successful in getting rid of the camera shutter sound for one-shot pics, but unsuccessful in getting rid of any other sounds. This seems weird to me as I'm not sure where the files might otherwise be located where the phone is still able to pull the sound.

The list of sounds I replaced are as follows (within /system/media/audio/ui):
    Auto_focus.ogg
    Auto_focus_error.ogg
    camera_click.ogg
    Camera_click_short.ogg
    Shutter.ogg
    Shutter_multiple.ogg
    VideoRecord.ogg

Does anybody know of another location that those files might be mirrored in the system or what the heck I might be doing incorrectly? Sorry, still new to Android.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by hiero View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone has figured this out yet but I went in and replaced all the camera sounds with a silent file (actually, I took the file in the system called Camera_empty.ogg and copy/renamed that file for all the other files) and I was successful in getting rid of the camera shutter sound for one-shot pics, but unsuccessful in getting rid of any other sounds. This seems weird to me as I'm not sure where the files might otherwise be located where the phone is still able to pull the sound.

The list of sounds I replaced are as follows (within /system/media/audio/ui):
    Auto_focus.ogg
    Auto_focus_error.ogg
    camera_click.ogg
    Camera_click_short.ogg
    Shutter.ogg
    Shutter_multiple.ogg
    VideoRecord.ogg

Does anybody know of another location that those files might be mirrored in the system or what the heck I might be doing incorrectly? Sorry, still new to Android.
    Did you reboot and/or wipe cache and dalvik after? Sometimes that helps.

Sent from my TARDIS
    Thanked by:
    hiero 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Default Re: so still trying to disable camera sounds

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Did you reboot and/or wipe cache and dalvik after? Sometimes that helps.

Sent from my TARDIS
    hmm, I definitely rebooted, but didn't realize about cache and dalvik.

I'm getting quite the lesson on cwm these days eh?

Ok, wiped the cache and wiped the dalvik cache too with cwm, but no bueno. Looks like that didn't resolve it (still one-shot camera shutter noise is gone, which is good). And I made double sure that the files in the phone were still the silent ones and not replaced by the stock ones.

At the very least, it would be really great if the sounds weren't so LOUD, but definitely would rather they just be gone completely, super annoying.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

hmm, I definitely rebooted, but didn't realize about cache and dalvik.

I'm getting quite the lesson on cwm these days eh?

Ok, wiped the cache and wiped the dalvik cache too with cwm, but no bueno. Looks like that didn't resolve it (still one-shot camera shutter noise is gone, which is good). And I made double sure that the files in the phone were still the silent ones and not replaced by the stock ones.

At the very least, it would be really great if the sounds weren't so LOUD, but definitely would rather they just be gone completely, super annoying.
    Well best of luck and ignore that build.prop

Sent from my TARDIS
    Thanked by:
    hiero 
    hiero likes this.

You could always instead of using a blank file just rename any file by just adding ".bak" to the end of the filename... This way the original file still remains on your device if you want to switch back and it also causes the device to assume the file no longer exists.

As far as I know the sounds you would be looking for is probably what you already found...

/system/media/audio/ui/
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    hiero 
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    You could always instead of using a blank file just rename any file by just adding ".bak" to the end of the filename... This way the original file still remains on your device if you want to switch back and it also causes the device to assume the file no longer exists.

As far as I know the sounds you would be looking for is probably what you already found...

/system/media/audio/ui/
    Nice tip! Thanks!

Global Posts
    2,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Took a picture with head phones in. It stopped my music. Not only played the sound but it played the sound on the phone speakers not through the headphones. Samsung needs to update and fix this asap.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Took a picture with head phones in. It stopped my music. Not only played the sound but it played the sound on the phone speakers not through the headphones. Samsung needs to update and fix this asap.

As already discussed, Samsung's biggest markets have laws which make it illegal for cameras to be sold or modified to be silent. Some places in the USA have made it illegal to silence the camera. What is Samsung supposed to do?

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

I'm afraid the only certain fix may be to change the build.prop (properly mind you, not the hack way I bricked my phone with) and recompile

here's the line that needs to change:
    #add camera sound property for SPR concept
    ro.camera.sound.forced=1

that should be changed to 0 instead of 1 and from what I understand, the camera sounds will follow as the system sounds go (i.e. if you put phone on silent, camera goes silent)... (please let me know if that is incorrect)

Just that I don't wanna do all that for just one change!! seems ridiculous...

Global Posts
    2,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    As already discussed, Samsung's biggest markets have laws which make it illegal for cameras to be sold or modified to be silent. Some places in the USA have made it illegal to silence the camera. What is Samsung supposed to do?

Retired Ambassador

Really? I didnt know that. Thats crazy. I wonder why?
    In two words... Privacy Advocates. Some people don't like pictures taken of them without their knowledge or consent.

And cant alot of other phones do it too though?
    Not sure about other phones but the last 3 phones I've bought were the same way. I had to root and mod them to remove the sound. Perhaps the fear of lawsuits have made manufacturers rethink their policies.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    In two words... Privacy Advocates. Some people don't like pictures taken of them without their knowledge or consent.

Not sure about other phones but the last 3 phones I've bought were the same way. I had to root and mod them to remove the sound. Perhaps the fear of lawsuits have made manufacturers rethink their policies.

I think we had the option to disable it by choice back on Eclair 2.1 and the first version of Froyo EB13 for the Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4g.

Sounds about right Skunk?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I think we had the option to disable it by choice back on Eclair 2.1 and the first version of Froyo EB13 for the Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4g.

Sounds about right Skunk?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    I believe froyo is when the ability to disable the shutter sound disapeared. It was through custom roms that gave the ability to disable them on the epic.

The nexus that I got later had the shutter sound locked when I got it. I was able to get the sound off on it the same way. Loading a custom rom.

So I can't say how it was done, you may have to just wait on the devs to fix it with a custom rom.

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    ROM
    My own ROM / Stock kernel

I would assume, because I am a newbie at all of this, that the camera app for all SIII's are the same. If this is the case, check out this thread from the international S III section from XDA

[MOD][ROOT] Audio Hacks and Modifications + New Insanely Loud Volume Hack!! (post 2) - xda-developers

Once again, I may be wrong. I do not know.
    Thanked by 3:
    hieroQueb3TeeX 
    TeeX and hiero like this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

YES!! this works!!
    Thanks so much

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    ROM
    My own ROM / Stock kernel

Awesome! Happy to be of assistance.

YES!! this works!!
    Thanks so much
    hiero likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Lightbulb Re: so still trying to disable camera sounds

Ok, so preliminary results messing with 'SITUATIONVOLUME' in Volume.db under /system/etc:

DEF 3 SHUTTER1 controls the shutter sound for All shooting modes except panorama, including self portrait mode
    DEF 5 CAMCORDING controls the sound for video recording
    DEF 4 AUTOFOCUS controls the sound that plays when you tap to focus AND when you push the camera button when in smile shot mode

DEF 9 SHUTTER2, DEF 10 SHUTTER3 I'm not really sure what these do as the panorama mode still makes shutter sounds even with these zeroed out.

So at this point, I have all the sounds disabled except shutter sound for the panorama mode...

There are several other nice bits in there like control over the boot sounds and keys, etc, in case anyone wants to know
    Thanked by:

Ok, so preliminary results messing with 'SITUATIONVOLUME' in Volume.db under /system/etc:

DEF 3 SHUTTER1 controls the shutter sound for All shooting modes except panorama, including self portrait mode
    DEF 5 CAMCORDING controls the sound for video recording
    DEF 4 AUTOFOCUS controls the sound that plays when you tap to focus AND when you push the camera button when in smile shot mode

DEF 9 SHUTTER2, DEF 10 SHUTTER3 I'm not really sure what these do as the panorama mode still makes shutter sounds even with these zeroed out.

So at this point, I have all the sounds disabled except shutter sound for the panorama mode...

There are several other nice bits in there like control over the boot sounds and keys, etc, in case anyone wants to know

Did you try looking into the other part of the thread? The part about increasing the volume on calls, ringers, etc? we don't have the default_gain.conf in the system/etc folder.....i'm wondering where our equivalent would be
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Nope, that hasn't been an issue for me yet, but I'll look into it this weekend ;-)

Nope, that hasn't been an issue for me yet, but I'll look into it this weekend ;-)
    Yeah, it's not like the sounds aren't loud enough...but when the phone is in pocket its not as loud as I'd like. I did set that louder-pocket setting, but it doesn't really kick it up as much as it could in my opinion.

someone over at xda did it on the sprint version ...LINKY

The problem is that our version doesn't have the "default_gain.conf" file in the "system\etc" folder to begin with, and I wonder how it will effect future updates and releases, roms, etc by modifying that and adding the file on our own.

i guess with cwm ...it wouldn't matter
    Thanked by:
    hiero 
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

ah, I would guess that you would need to re-add that file to your file system each time you did a factory system update.

The only reason I haven't used that file is that I do think it's quite loud and I don't think there's enough 'steps' in the volume bar as it is, if I made the max sound louder, I think the 'steps' would be even worse. Although I didn't really read through the whole thread unfortunately, so if it fixes that, I may be interested...

Any issues yet with this mod? This is also the mod that increases your video fps correct?

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandman132 View Post
    Any issues yet with this mod? This is also the mod that increases your video fps correct?

no issues thus far, but I did not flash the device with the full run up of mods in the zip file. I just updated the volume.db database.

I might try flashing the whole zip file if there's a lot of interest here for me to do that. A lot of people seem to have used the mod in the xda forum with no ill effects thus far though.

**edit**
    As noted in on the androidcentral homepage, Volume+ is a good option too if you don't want to hack into the file system. The dev's website actually confirms that Volume+ works for those who are not rooted on the SGSIII

Thx for reply, I'm excited that it increases fps with the video too. I see Samsung has ability to go high as 60 fps with a sw update from Samsung.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast