1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

Default Allow ota update on rooted S3?

I'm getting a pop up notice about an ota security update, my phone is rooted but all stock beyond that. Should I allow the update or will there be problems?

Default Re: Allow ota update on rooted S3?

it will not install when you try. Is a fix for google wallet. TO me is not enough to unroot YET.

LG G2 Verizon LTE
    Nexus 4 ST TMO
    Galaxy S 3 Sprint LTE [ Retired ]
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G Verizon LTE [ Retired ]
    Nexus S 4G [ Retired ]
    Xoom Tablet 3.0 Honeycomb [ Retired ]
    HTC Evo 2.3.3| [ Retired ]
    Palm Pre [ Retired ]
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    I'm getting a pop up notice about an ota security update, my phone is rooted but all stock beyond that. Should I allow the update or will there be problems?
    The update will fail if you try it. If you go back to stock un rooted, you can find the update in the stock recovery. Under cached updates.

If you try it while you are rooted. You will lose it and have to wait until it pushes again.

ct1

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

You don't have to unroot, just go back to stock recovery:

anyone have a final solution to solve this (in steps would be GREATLY appreciated) since I getting this annoying pop for system update pretty much every hour now

Thank you!
    Thanked by:
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1223 View Post
    anyone have a final solution to solve this (in steps would be GREATLY appreciated) since I getting this annoying pop for system update pretty much every hour now

Thank you!
    Follow these instructions in the unroot video. You flash a single file in odin and you will be unrooted stock and able to except the ota.

Since you have already been sent the update. You will go into your stock recovery and choose install update from cache. Once complete, you can restore root like you did before.

Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by tymansdaddy View Post
    im running the 0.4 version of FREEs3 rom. Is it not latest software?
    It has the LF9 update but not the LG2. Also it doesn't have the complete update. Just the software update. It doesn't update the baseband. As of now, the only way to update your baseband is through the ota.

I bet it you look the baseband won't match your build.
    rsa

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    The update will fail if you try it. If you go back to stock un rooted, you can find the update in the stock recovery. Under cached updates.

If you try it while you are rooted. You will lose it and have to wait until it pushes again.

I was at LEN rooted using TeamEpic's method with ClockWork installed and wanted to get the update that was pestering me and any others that had come since. So put standard recovery back on and unrooted but for days I've checked for updates and it always said I was current. So I was getting ready to try and install someone else's rooted image but saw your comment about the cached updates and sure enough I went into the cached folder and there was LF9! So I installed that thinking that it was going to be a slow process to finally get to LG2 but instead after ever update and reboot it told me I had another update and in a matter of 15 minutes I went all the way from LEN to LG8 with about 4 total reboots! Now to see if I finally can get Wallet to work and god forbid maybe even see 4G lite up!

Thank you again for your posts!!!!!!!!!!
    Retired Ambassador

No problem. Glad to help.

Where do i download the three files... odin, recovery tar an the update zip you transferred over from your PC?
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by 405tonae View Post
    Where do i download the three files... odin, recovery tar an the update zip you transferred over from your PC?
    It would help to know what your trying to do. This is a very old thread. I'm assuming you are trying to get your phone updated to jelly bean. If so try this thread. It gives you every available method to do so.

Your way to Update...
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif