Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Default Re: How to Turn Off Your Shutter Sound In 2 Minutes

Thanks again skunk!! You are the man! After following your awesome guide to root this S3 beast I've been trying to figure out this quandry for weeks. And now you've come through again!! Many many mahalo's!! Keep up your awesomenes!!

Ok, so after playing with the files for awhile now, i can't seem to figure out how to silence the different shooting modes. Single shot and panoramic are silent, but burst and lowlight are not (the others I've never used so I don't care about them). Anyone have any ideas? Burst mode is outrageously annoying with a shutter sound on. I've renamed just about every camera sound file in this directory that looks suspicious. Any extra help would be awesome! Thanks guys.

This worked for me... thanks you sir

Can someone post the original Ogg files? I will thank you.

I can't seem to rename these files.

Hmm, I'm rooted (followed Skunkape's method). I've verified that I'm rooted, and am running several apps that require root, including Titanium Backup (paid version). I have SuperSU installed, and ES File explorer configured for root. I can navigate to the proper directory, but when I attempt to rename the file ESFE acts like it's changed them, but the file names remain the same. Astro File manager, gives me an error and says the files ca't be renamed. Properties shows rw- r-- r--. I can't change the properties, either.

Any thoughts on why the OS won't let me change these file names?

Thanks.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I can't seem to rename these files.

Hmm, I'm rooted (followed Skunkape's method). I've verified that I'm rooted, and am running several apps that require root, including Titanium Backup (paid version). I have SuperSU installed, and ES File explorer configured for root. I can navigate to the proper directory, but when I attempt to rename the file ESFE acts like it's changed them, but the file names remain the same. Astro File manager, gives me an error and says the files ca't be renamed. Properties shows rw- r-- r--. I can't change the properties, either.

Any thoughts on why the OS won't let me change these file names?

Thanks.
    In es fire explorer after selecting root in the settings you also have to mount the file system as read write. It's in the root menu settings.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

That did it. Thanks skunkape!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Worked! thanks. Rooted Galaxy S3 on Sprint

No love?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by bigbad614 View Post
    No love?
    Did you delete the files instead of renaming them? I will try and get them to you.

Here's your files....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 12-30-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    Thanked by:
    bigbad614 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Did you delete the files instead of renaming them? I will try and get them to you.

Here's your files....
    Thank you very much Big Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse617 View Post
    see my post about changing permissions of the file
    Thanks a bunch! This method worked for me as well once I changed the permissions, and everything is working fine. However, there is now a "features.xml.bak" file showing up in addition to the "features.xml" file in the system/csc directory. Also, there are files named "contents.db" and "sales_code.dat" in the same directory. I don't recall any of these files being in the directory before I made the edit. Would anyone happen to know why these additional files are now showing?

I am also a Sprint user. Could you help me out? I cannot locate any files named System, Audio or UI.
    Thanks.

Here's your files....
    Why does my Samsung Galaxy S3 not have these files to begin with? I am using the SPH-L710 on Sprint. I cannot find any files named System, Audio or UI either. Help appreciated.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Avery1237 View Post
    I am also a Sprint user. Could you help me out? I cannot locate any files named System, Audio or UI.
    Thanks.
    These are folders
    system / media / audio / UI
    The media folder is in the system folder.
    The audio folder is in the media folder.
    The ui folder is in the audio folder.
    The ogg files you are looking for are in the ui folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Avery1237 View Post
    Why does my Samsung Galaxy S3 not have these files to begin with? I am using the SPH-L710 on Sprint. I cannot find any files named System, Audio or UI either. Help appreciated.
    You must have a root explorer such as es file explorer or root explorer.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 01-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 629Classic View Post
    Thanks a bunch! This method worked for me as well once I changed the permissions, and everything is working fine. However, there is now a "features.xml.bak" file showing up in addition to the "features.xml" file in the system/csc directory. Also, there are files named "contents.db" and "sales_code.dat" in the same directory. I don't recall any of these files being in the directory before I made the edit. Would anyone happen to know why these additional files are now showing?

I have those files and the modified dates are way back in the past.

Skunk- can you update the top post to make sure people are checking the permissions? May save a few pages of reading
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse617 View Post
    I have those files and the modified dates are way back in the past.

Skunk- can you update the top post to make sure people are checking the permissions? May save a few pages of reading
    You don't need to change permissions. You are just adding .bak to the end of the file names. I will have to read back a bit too figure out what you're talking about.

Edit: I think I see what you're talking about. Edited op....

You don't need to change permissions. You are just adding .bak to the end of the file names. I will have to read back a bit too figure out what you're talking about.

cool, I was never able to totally defeat the sounds by doing that no matter how many resets I did. seems easier

Skunkape, the first post now reads:

3. Under find the following line
    false

without saying what line we're supposed to change. I think I found it, but just want to be sure....

Anyway to get rid of the focus beep?
    Last edited by Eatsleepdrivesc; 01-14-2013 at 02:25 AM.

ok the camera is silent but how do i get rid of the camcorder focus beep. i renamed all the autofocus files i saw.

also does anyone know how to change the boot screen and sound?

The easiest way to turn off the shutter sound is to turn down the volume BEFORE you open the camera app. Once that is done....presto...no more shutter sound. Easy as pie.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

First of all you must be rooted and have a file explorer with read/write. This is very easy and is posted by freeza at xda. So I figured I would just share the information with my friends here. So if you use this please give him a thanks.

1. browse to system/csc

2. open feature.xml in a text editor. (With root explorer hold down on the file and choose open in text editor.)

3. Under find the following line
    false

Change the false to true. Save and exit. Reboot your phone and under camera settings just under GPS Tag you will have the option to turn it on or off.

To get this to work you must also change permissions.
    Huh? "Under find the following line
    false"

What there's a line called "false" or there's a line called "find the following line?"
    I'm confused and there are A LOT of lines. Somebody please clarify what line we are looking for. Thanks!
    Last edited by rando991; 02-02-2013 at 10:18 AM.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by timbyts View Post
    The easiest way to turn off the shutter sound is to turn down the volume BEFORE you open the camera app. Once that is done....presto...no more shutter sound. Easy as pie.
    Uh...no. that does NOT work. At all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Eatsleepdrivesc likes this.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast