Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Like Tree9Likes

Default Re: How to Turn Off Your Shutter Sound In 2 Minutes

Es file explorer only work if you have read/wright acess to the system folder and need to buy another app. It can be done without buying or installing any app.
    In either case, you first need to root the phone.

Then you can rename the sound file/s.

Quote Originally Posted by mutblog View Post
    Es file explorer only work if you have read/wright acess to the system folder and need to buy another app. It can be done without buying or installing any app.
    In either case, you first need to root the phone.

Then you can rename the sound file/s.
    id recommend root explorer instead

How do I turn the shutter sound back on? I changed the .ogg file by adding.bak at the end and that got rid of the shutter sound on a single shot. But now that I figured out how to do the drop down menu,I want the shutter sound back.
    I hope this makes sense.

Global Posts
    1,090 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by jcarrejo View Post
    How do I turn the shutter sound back on? I changed the .ogg file by adding.bak at the end and that got rid of the shutter sound on a single shot. But now that I figured out how to do the drop down menu,I want the shutter sound back.
    I hope this makes sense.
    Take the .bak off
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Epic 4G (retired rooted backup)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)

For all mobile devices - get one!
    XDA kickstand4u tm Review

Oh my! I rooted my SGS3!
    Rock Solid and Perfect!

If I have helped you - visit my site - now that's a new one!

just to add to this thread...I tried editing the false to true with es file explorer but couldn't figure it out. But with root explorer it worked as easy as pie!

Quote Originally Posted by adlebo View Post
    just to add to this thread...I tried editing the false to true with es file explorer but couldn't figure it out. But with root explorer it worked as easy as pie!
    You need to go into settings and grant root access.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Sent From The 3rd Galaxy Via Subspace

How do I go to : system / media / audio ?

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Woodcock View Post
    How do I go to : system / media / audio ?
    With es file explorer select:
    Device
    System
    Media
    Audio
    UI

Sent from my GS3 sporting Wicked Sensations...
    GS3...Wicked Sensations

EVO 4G...Digital Twinturbo-retired

I have renamed the ogg files to bak however it isn't working on bursts i.e. tap the camera button then hold it down for several rapid shots. Is there another location for the files other than the /ui ? Yes I renamed the shutter_multiple.ogg.bak file. I'm using camera that came with wicked md4.
    thanks. (I searched before asking, nothing worked.)

Quote Originally Posted by kenny70452 View Post
    I have renamed the ogg files to bak however it isn't working on bursts i.e. tap the camera button then hold it down for several rapid shots. Is there another location for the files other than the /ui ? Yes I renamed the shutter_multiple.ogg.bak file. I'm using camera that came with wicked md4.
    thanks. (I searched before asking, nothing worked.)
    I haven't messed with burst mode yet. If I get a chance I'll see what it does on my phone.

Sent from my GS3 sporting Wicked Sensations...
    GS3...Wicked Sensations

With all credit to RAvEcREAToR23: turning off s3 camera sound no silent mode or rooting needed (o^^)o, here's a no root approach to silencing the shutter sound.

I'm already rooted and modified the features.xml file, so I haven't tested this, nor do I know anything about how safe it is or what it does. But here's the original link: and the source code:
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    ROM
    HYdroROM 1.1.0

I managed to enable shutter mute by flashing an unrooted version of the stock 4.1 ROM; this works by replacing the /system/csc/feature.xml file while the .ogg files in /system/media/audio/ui are left as they were. This eliminated root access but I was able to restore that after a bit more tweaking.

Now I'd like to modify or replace /system/csc/feature.xml to adjust some other settings on the device, but even though I'm rooted there seems to be no way whatsoever for me to alter this file in any way. I've tried every approach I can think of, but nothing has worked.

Can anyone help?

Replied in your linked thread.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

UPDATE: It appears the permissions bug in ES File Explorer has been fixed. Now the feature.xml permissions are saved as rwx-rwx-rwx, and it works when left this way.

Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    UPDATE: It appears the permissions bug in ES File Explorer has been fixed. Now the feature.xml permissions are saved as rwx-rwx-rwx, and it works when left this way.
    That's good to know. When I reported the bug to them, they told me they couldn't reproduce it. I guess they figured it out.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    ROM
    HYdroROM 1.1.0

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    That's good to know. When I reported the bug to them, they told me they couldn't reproduce it. I guess they figured it out.
    It still doesn't work for me though (i.e. can't save changes to feature.xml). Is there a way I can go through Terminal Emulator and use chmod to change the permissions, and if so will the setting persist? (I assume there's a chmod command, but I'm more familiar with Kornshell.)

ETA: When did the update go out? According to the Play Store the app is up to date, but I just unfroze it in Titanium after a week or so; maybe I just need to wait a bit for the update notice?
    Last edited by Dark Penguin; 07-26-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Have you mounted the system partition as read / write (in ES)?

From the ES main screen, tap the icon at the top right with the phone and globe. Then tap Root Explorer in the menu that appears. Finally, tap Mount R/W.

Thanked by:

Thanks for all of these tips guys. I was using ES File Explorer but couldn't rename the files because I didn't have read/write access. Downloaded Root Explorer and navigated to the same place and it worked and now I can use the stock camera app with no annoying (and loud) shutter sound!

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrsDream View Post
    Thanks for all of these tips guys. I was using ES File Explorer but couldn't rename the files because I didn't have read/write access. Downloaded Root Explorer and navigated to the same place and it worked and now I can use the stock camera app with no annoying (and loud) shutter sound!
    In ES Explorer, when you first open it up, hit your SG3 menu button and select "Root Explorer" from the list, then select "Mount R/W" then select "/system RW" (it defaults to "/system RO"). Then edit your system files. After you are finished, make sure you go back and change RW to RO again for safety, then reboot.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    ROM
    HYdroROM 1.1.0

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Have you mounted the system partition as read / write (in ES)?

From the ES main screen, tap the icon at the top right with the phone and globe. Then tap Root Explorer in the menu that appears. Finally, tap Mount R/W.
    Still no success on my end. I did all this, tapped feature.xml, and used the ES Notepad Editor to open it, instead of 920 Editor as before. Now the error message says there's insufficient space. How is that possible? The internal card is about three-quarters free.

ETA: I started a new thread to ask about the /system partition space issue.
    Last edited by Dark Penguin; 07-28-2013 at 05:11 PM.

I just downloaded ES File Explorer V 3.0.5.3. The phone is rooted, I am able to go to the files and "try" to rename them, but when I press OK I get a message "task is failed" and the file names stay the same, even, after a reboot. The menus in this version of ES seem to be a bit different than as described in this thread but I was able to find where to turn on Root Explorer, but couldn't where to enable R/W.

Phone is a Sprint GS3, rooted, stock ROM, V 4.1.2

Some help, in layman's terms, would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargedDust View Post
    I just downloaded ES File Explorer V 3.0.5.3. The phone is rooted, I am able to go to the files and "try" to rename them, but when I press OK I get a message "task is failed" and the file names stay the same, even, after a reboot. The menus in this version of ES seem to be a bit different than as described in this thread but I was able to find where to turn on Root Explorer, but couldn't where to enable R/W.

Phone is a Sprint GS3, rooted, stock ROM, V 4.1.2

Some help, in layman's terms, would be appreciated.
    Open ES, hit you menu button, scroll down to tools, tap root explorer, pop up will apper, select rw.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked
    GS3...Wicked Sensations

AHHHH, tapping on the words opens a pop-up menu, I didn't realize that, I thought there was only the on/off toggle there - thank you.

If you have already rooted your phone I suggest using . ES has some issue and will not change file parameters.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345